Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Abnormal Smear Test Results!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been made an appointment to go and have something called a 'coloscopy'.

Has anyone ever had this before? It sounds painful and I feel really apprehensive about it. :confused:

Comments

• Options
    Some useful information

I have never had it done, I've never been for a smear test either, but I am sure they will make you feel right at ease.

Just remember that it won't last very long and it is being done to put your mind at ease.

Good luck, I am sure you won't need it though, everything will be fine. :):)
  • Options
    It is similar to a smear,the doctor will lookat your cervix the same way as they do with a smear ,then they put a special dye inside you with shows up and abnormal or cancerous cells it is very simple it is uncomforfable but not painful i have had it done, you will be fine.
  • Options
    Hiya - it's a very straightforward procedure, and is not supposed to be painful. Just a bit uncomfortable. They have a look at your cervix with high magnification, sometimes they spray it with a liquid that can show up patches that are affected by papilloma virus. Then they usually do another smear test (just like you had before) and sometimes take a tiny bit of tissue (size of a pinhead). It's over and done with very quickly.
  • Options
    *starts crying*

Once again someone has logged on with my account :( *sighs*

I don't even know what a coloscopy is, and what apprehensive means! :confused:
  • Options
    I think that the majority of women will at some point in their lives have a colposcopy. As everyone's said it's pretty painless but just uncomfortable. My Gp was a really sound bloke and i found as long as he always explained what he was doing that it was fine. I think the fear is not knowing what's going to happen or what's going on.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    *starts crying*

Once again someone has logged on with my account :( *sighs*

I don't even know what a coloscopy is, and what apprehensive means! :confused:

Awwww! Bless ya hun. :D

Apprehensive means fearful *checks dictionary*
    Wooo! Uneasily fearful; dreading. There we go. I can't be arsed to type the rest but that's the general jist of it. You learn something new everyday! :D[/completely unhelpful post]
  • Options
    So, if you go for a 'coloscoply' - does it mean that you *could* have cancer??? :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Baby
    So, if you go for a 'coloscoply' - does it mean that you *could* have cancer??? :(

No, an abnormal smear does not neccessarily mean cancer. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Baby

Nope

A colposcopy can be to do with anything. It's just an easier method for the GP to see what's going on as they use a microscope.

Abnormal cells can mean anything. They usually mean pre cancerous cells. But can mean errosions, immature cells etc.
  • Options
    I will be honest when the doctor says this might hurt a bit (when they take a tiny piece of it) it hurts something HORRIBLE. Then again maybe they do things differently in the states?
  • Options
    For anyone thinking getting a result back with "abnormal smear" DONT panic. An abnormal smear can mean that in many years to come it COULD turn cancerous. I had an abnormal smear approx 10 years ago, I know treatment will most have probs changed however they still mean the same. I had to have laser treatment followed up by smear test after 6 months then at yearly intervalls for approx 3 years. And im fine:D