Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

£734,000 lottery money.....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
£734,000 lottery money has been granted to an organisation that deals with asylum seekers legal appeals against deportation, yet St Dunstans a charity that helps blind ex servicemen gets nothing....something wrong in my view especially when you take into account that only 1 in 20 illegal immigrants are true asylum seekers.

Comments

• Options
    Regardless of the right and wrongs of our immigration policy and ignoring the inflated figures on the number of people coming through the ports around the country (notably here in East Kent) this whole issue gives me the shivers.

Surely the point of the lottery was to benefit UK organisations to aid the population of the UK, not to help Asylum seekers fight justice.
  • Options
    I must say I agree. Even though some asylum seekers are genuine and sometimes unfairly deported by the Home Office, there are several organisations, charities and law firms already helping. There surely are more urgent causes in need of the lottery grants.
  • Options
    But hasn't Mr Blunkett blocked it?
  • Options
    I believe the money is better spent on OUR citizens. Giving it to people who shouldn´t even be here is very annoying.
    Same with those English lessons ´Blunkett is planning for people who might not even be stayinghere.
    I wouldn´t mind if it was for people allowed toremain, but giving it to people who might not even be staying is ridiculous.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    I believe the money is better spent on OUR citizens.

we were subjects last time I checked, unless the revolution has begun!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Citizen_Bertie
    we were subjects last time I checked, unless the revolution has begun!

Don't start that. Robespierre.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    I believe the money is better spent on OUR citizens. .

1 in 5 adults in Britain is in some way illiterate.
    Surely, surely it is more important for those people to recieve the english lessons.

We need to sort out our own problems before we can really truely, help those people from other countries whom need it so desperately.

:(