Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cherie Blair miscarriages

First of all, I'd like to say that I feel very sorry for the Blairs. Having a miscarriage is a horrible thing to happen to anyone.

Having said this...

It has been discussed many times before whether the Prime Minister's wife (and indeed the Prime Minister himself) should lead an exemplary private life, since they hold the second highest position in the country and ordinary folk might look up to them. Although having children is of course a personal choice, I think there is a general consensus that the earth is starting to suffer from severe overpopulation, and that having 5+ children is not terribly helpful. Nowadays, when we have so many mothers-of-three in their late teens, you would think the last thing people need is encouragement from the 'first lady'.

Unless of course the pregnancy wasn't planned, which leads to an even more worrying proposition. If the Prime Minister and his wife cannot manage contraception efficiently, then who can?

I know Cherie is a catholic and she might be against artificial contraception, but Tony isn't. Perhaps he should have a vasectomy, and they both would be faultless in the eyes of their churches?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Erm, im not quite sure what to make of this post..Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth for some reason.

Times like this where my hatred for Tone and Cherie dissipates and I see them as human..

Overpopulation? Not a serious problem here in the UK compared to elsewhere. We have an aging population and our growth rate is extremely low and the death rate is predicted to overtake the birth rate soon enough.

As a couple they earn an awful lot of money and they are in a good position to raise kids. They can have as many kids as they want IMO, just so long as they can support them.
  • Options
    Their sex lives are none of the public's business. Jesus Christ, the poor woman has a horirble thing happen to her and then has to be reminded of it everytime she sees a newspaper.

Sometimes the media are utter filth. Hell, most of the time they are utter filth. :mad:
  • Options
    Aladdin, your first sentence was fine. What has happened is awful, no matter who you are, and my sympathy to Cherie and all the family.

Anything after that was appalling. Now is not the time to make the points. Don't capitalise on something awful, you tactless ambulance chasing swine.

*breathes*

Dammit, that's wrong
  • Options
    Gotta agree with DJP and Balddog on this one. Are you out of your mind Aladdin?
  • Options
    I didn't even know she was pregnant!!!

Still, notwithstanding the shock, I feel for the Blair family at this time.
  • Options
    Aladdin, if you`d given this any thought at all, or even looked into it before you posted you`d know that the birth rate is actually falling worldwide. Thing is, so is the death rate. "Overpopulation" is caused not because people are breeding like rabbits but because they`ve stopped dropping like flies.
  • Options
    None of my business really.

THey can afford to keep these kids themselves so good luck to them. What you should really be addressing you comments at are the poverty stricken fuckers who expect the taxpayer to keep their kids for them.
  • Options
    Sorry guys but i'm with alladin on this....

We are over populated, even if you think we're not in this country then you cannot deny that we are worldwide.

The blairs are in a posistion of infulence, and should be more thoughtful how there actions may be taken by the public.

I'm not saying i'm not sympathetic with there situation, but they put themselves in that situation themselves, and when people cheri's age have kids it is considered very lucky that there are not complications.
    Like alladin says, they already have 4 kids, and i'd like to see how these ones turn out before we let them raise any more. :)

Don't capitalise on something awful, you tactless ambulance chasing swine.

I think this is a little unfair, its just (i imagine) that aladin has the same trick as me of seperating emotional and rational thought. Does soem-one haveing a miscarrige / abortion within the last 24 hours mean we are not allowed to discuss it? if so then they are sujects that will not get much conversation time for a long while to come.
  • Options
    Yes - we all can't wait for the day when most of your family are killed in some tragic way.

Still, at least it will ease the population burden.
  • Options
    Originally posted by AdamF
    Yes - we all can't wait for the day when most of your family are killed in some tragic way.

Still, at least it will ease the population burden.

Kerching :D

~~~~~

Sorry guys but you are bang out of order. But if you are both worried about population control perhaps you can do us all a favour and not have any children yourselves. That would kind of balance things out with the Blairs wouldn't it.

Or perhaps we could look at the Chinese system of aborting babies as they are born, just to ease population.

Apart from the lack of taste in posting this thread, the very suggestion that we should practise some form of population control is sick in the extreme. Any system of control is a infringment on the very civil liberties you are always arguing for.
  • Options
    Originally posted by cokephreak

We are over populated, even if you think we're not in this country then you cannot deny that we are worldwide.

Bullshit. The UK's population is increasing only very slightly, and thanks to much longer life expectancies the population is becoming older; the dependency ratio is increasing and will continue to do so in the coming years. We could easily see a massive labour shortage in our life time. Thus I put it to you that the Blairs were doing their bit for the country's economic future when they tried for another baby.

The blairs are in a posistion of infulence, and should be more thoughtful how there actions may be taken by the public.

Erm...no. The Blairs are a family and should be allowed to make choices about having children just like other families. Their family was not elected Prime Minister; Tony was. As long as he's not eating children, I fail to see why you claim his family should play such an important role in his premiership.

I'm not saying i'm not sympathetic with there situation, but they put themselves in that situation themselves, and when people cheri's age have kids it is considered very lucky that there are not complications.

As much as I disagree with religious beliefs, Cherie is a Catholic and is entitled to practice her religion. We are a free country, and part of being a free country is allowing people to practice their own religious beliefs without hindrance (provided those beliefs are not illegal).

Like alladin says, they already have 4 kids, and i'd like to see how these ones turn out before we let them raise any more. :)

Have you any idea how retarded that sounds? If they wait to find out how these ones turn out, won't they be too old to have more by then? :rolleyes:

I think this is a little unfair, its just (i imagine) that aladin has the same trick as me of seperating
    (suspending, surely?) emotional and rational thought. Does soem-one haveing a miscarrige / abortion within the last 24 hours mean we are not allowed to discuss it? if so then they are sujects that will not get much conversation time for a long while to come.
  • Options
    *feels a bit ashamed* :o

I'm sorry I posted that- I shouldn't have. I did it right on impulse motivated by my genuine surprise at the news that she was pregnant again- being 47, and an active & successful barrister to boot. We had a long discussion in the office about whether the pregnancy was intended, as I'm sure most other workers did throughout the country, and thought I'd check people's views in here. But perhaps these issues should not be discussed in message boards, and the post certainly was ill-timed. Apologies.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    *feels a bit ashamed* :o

So you should, but nice to see you are man enogh to admit it.
    an active & successful barrister to boot

I'm glad I read this bit twice. The first time I thought you'd put attractive, not active :eek:
    But perhaps these issues should not be discussed in message boards, and the post certainly was ill-timed. Apologies.

I think your timing was more of the problem, and the link to someone else's distress. The subject isn't a problem. Perhaps you should start a thread about population control, or "excessive" numbers of children per family...
  • Options
    do we need to know that badly?

i have to say that the morning i woke up to see on the front page of some paper, a tabloid no doubt, that mrs blair had miscarried, my initial feeling was of course sympathy. But then, a miscarriage is an awful, unhappy, tragic and PRIVATE event. Surely the public are not that desperate to hear every detail about the lives of every person in the public eye. I wonder how i would feel, my loss being splashed across the reading material of the nation. I wonder if newspaper editors ever stop to consider how they would feel? I understand that this is the way that "news" works, we learn everything possible about the lives of people whose names are "household", but i think it is a shame. Another thing, the news of the missing schoolgirls, and looming war was pushed to another page, the front page being filled with cherie's face. why for god sake? grrrrrrrrr... also, sorry for continuing this debate i no it was sort of coming to an end.
  • Options
    Re: Cherie Blair miscarriages
    Originally posted by Aladdin

there is a general consensus that the earth is starting to suffer from severe overpopulation, and that having 5+ children is not terribly helpful. Nowadays, when we have so many mothers-of-three in their late teens, you would think the last thing people need is encouragement from the 'first lady'.

How exactly is the world 'overpopulated'?

At six billion people there are adequate amounts of food and water for everybody; if anything people only starve due to a lack of distribution.
  • Options
    How can we trust Tony Blair to take precautions running the country, when he can’t even take precautions shagging his own wife?

And the world is at has about twice as many humans currently living on it than is sustainable long term, these things balance out in the long term though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Paul_2
    How can we trust Tony Blair to take precautions running the country, when he can’t even take precautions shagging his own wife?

Well I don't know Paul_2, but I am sure Tony and Cherie's gametes are very very sorry for causing such trouble. And I'm sure for the sake of a nations trust, they will never have sexual intercourse again, as a normal couple does, since abstinence is 100% safe. Such foolishness in the first place! What is the world coming to? :rolleyes: