Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Lancaster Uni

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Anyone going here in September?? Or anyone already there??
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    HI. I'm not going to Lancaster Uni, but I live in Preston which is pretty near, and I went to school in Lancaster, so if you want to know anything about the place, ask away!
  • Options
    My sister has just graduated from Lancaster this year. The University campus is quite nice. Its all in one area surrounded by three etc about 3 miles from Lancaster itself. As for the city, well its just your average small town, has all the main shops and such like. Not much else to say really.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies.

Matthew - I hear Lancaster is pretty poor for clubs, so I imagine I'll be venturing out into nearby citites like Preston as often as I can. What are the nearby cities like for clubs?? Do you know if there's many that play alternative music, like rock/metal??
  • Options
    I've been at Lancaster uni for 3 years now (doing a Masters degree) and I really like the place. The campus is nice, especially in summer and there are (were when I left) 8 bars, 1 for each college plus graduuate bar. It has a good atmosphere that strikes you from the moment you first get there and that was what set it in my mind that that was the best place for me.

Ok, so there aren't many clubs in town - Liquid, Elemental, Brooks and The Sugarhouse but there are loads of pubs including two Wetherspoons, Litten Tree and a new Revolution (vodka bar). I wouldn't worry about having nothing to do on night's out as I'm sure you'd get lured to the Carleton every Wednesday which is a mad club in Morecambe that plays cheesy (I mean really cheesy) music and offers cheap drinks.

If you want to know more, you know where to ask.
  • Options
    Thanks for that The Philosopher.

Every time I read something about Lancaster, they always mention how the clubs play really cheesy music, so it must be pretty bad!! That's a good laugh when you're pissed, but is there anywhere that plays alternative music (rock/metal stuff)??

Thanks again
  • Options
    There used to be a place called The Alex (now Revolution) that was the hang-out for people into alternative (not just music!) stuff. I've seen posters for a pub/ club called The Crypt but I've not been, nor do I know where it is I'm afraid. I wouldn't let this put you off since there are loads of clubs and societies on campus run by people with similar interests that you could join or set one up yourself and organise trips and events and stuff.

By the way, not all of the clubs play cheesy music - Liquid doesn't normally ('cept Wednesday I think) and Elemental is reasonably cheese-free.
  • Options
    Right I'm at Lancaster too - going into second year. There are 2 alternative nights - Thursdays in the uni club, the Sugarhouse which is pretty good and very busy. There's also Basement Music in a tiny place called The Crypt which i went to once at the end of last term. It'd really small and the sound system was crap but I had a good night. The Alt Music Society runs trips to Manchester and Liverpool too and there are a few gigs in Lancaster every term (tho not many and no BIG names). Anyway, it's a great place and I've had a great year.