Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The age old question...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Ok, this question gets asked by the media every year and I want to gage opinion from current and former students.

Are A Levels getting easier? The pass rate has risen for the past 17 years and is approaching the 100% mark.

What does everyone think?

I personally don't think so at all, then again, I didn't do the old A Level system, so...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    In the past, they had to fail 30% of papers.

When I did my A Levels we looked at past papers, I could see no difference, in fact ours were harder as there were extra topics (eg European Law in Law)

But it is suspicious that the results are better every year, it can not be possible that every year is simply brighter than the last.

Maybe teachers become acclimatised to the exam system and better at teaching aimed towards passing exams.

It's frustrating when you get good results and everyone jumps on you saying "it's becaus ethey are easier". It takes the edge off your success and is not fair.
  • Options
    I agree with PussyKatty on this.
    As time goes on, teachers gain more experience in delivering A Levels in a way that will result in better grades.
    Also there is now an extensive range of resources to help students with independent study, e.g. study guides, webisites etc...
    Having experienced both the old and new system (I did 2 extra subjects in my year out-sad I know!) I have to say that in the subjects I took, there was little difference in the standard of questions.
    So congratulations (i advance) to the 'guinea pig' year!