Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Thatcher beheaded

It was only her statue though...feelings still running high

:D
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    great :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    It is great Balddog. It's bad enough they want to put a statue of that woman in Westminster's 'Hall of Fame'. But to ignore the five-year-after-death rule is terrible. Was she the greatest PM in the history of Great Britain, to deserve to have the statue placed even before she dies? The hell she was.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    The hell she was.

Could also be a jealousy/envy issue within YOU, in that she had bigger balls than you... ;)
  • Options
    Fine, if you dont like the statue then you should do something sensible to get rid of it...Knocking the statues head of is a pointless and petty statement. It will just get replaced at the tax payers expense and redisplayed.

Its not even as though he had a problem with the fact the statue was there...He did it as a political statement against global capitalism :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Pointless act which will achieve nothing other than costing us more money.
  • Options
    It is great Balddog. It's bad enough they want to put a statue of that woman in Westminster's 'Hall of Fame'. But to ignore the five-year-after-death rule is terrible. Was she the greatest PM in the history of Great Britain, to deserve to have the statue placed even before she dies? The hell she was.

She was passionate about this country and its achievements. More than can be said for Major and Blair.
  • Options
    I'm sure Pinochet was very passionate about Chile too... but he should not be remembered in a good light for it.
  • Options
    Absolute waste of time.
  • Options
    Beheading the statue was absolutely pointless... What would this achieve other than a few more pounds out of the tax kitty :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Personally, I find it quite amusing. Call me immature if you will, I am only 18, I think she was an evil cow, and I find it an amusing act of vandalism.
  • Options
    Yeah and it only cost the taxpayer £150,000...what an amusing practical joke...
  • Options

Let's see, First Female PM and the longest serving this century...

You may not like her policies, but her achievements means that she deserves a statue.

Or do you object to Churchill's too...?
  • Options
    I find her supporting of Apartheid and murdering scumbags like Pinochet incompatible with greatness. Your observations might justify a statue- it disagree with it but I can see the point. But the fact that many are campaigning for the bloody statue to be placed in Westminster at the end of the next parliament, regardless of whether she's still alive, seems to indicate that she's the greatest PM to grace this land. As far as I know all other PM's statues- including Churchill's- had to wait 5 years after the person's death before being allowed to be put in place. I really can't see why hers should be allowed before- if any time at all.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog
    Yeah and it only cost the taxpayer £150,000...what an amusing practical joke...

I can think of much more expensive things which IMO are less worthy of the money, but netherless we pay for.
  • Options
    It is Was she the greatest PM in the history of Great Britain, to deserve to have the statue placed even before she dies?

Yes, by a country mile, well in the last 100 years or so. Can you think of anyone better?

Mrs T, saved this country. When she does go she should become Siant Maggie, and we can have a new bank holiday, Siant Maggies day.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mindless all the way
    Personally, I find it quite amusing. Call me immature if you will, I am only 18, I think she was an evil cow, and I find it an amusing act of vandalism.

Mindless

You were not even born when she took office and only just starting school when she left, what gives you the opinion that she was an evil old cow? Or have you been indoctrinated by your parent’s prejudices.

Paul.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Paul_2

Yes, by a country mile, well in the last 100 years or so. Can you think of anyone better?

Churchill, Clement Attlee, David Lloyd George?

I generally feel that Thatcher put the country on the right track. In my mind the whole notion of Thatcherism (be it a curbing of trade union power, individualism, monetarism, free market/laissez-faire policies, meritocracy, a minimum state) is a rebuttal of the folly of the 1970's. The post-war consensus had failed and the UK needed an urgent alternative. Even today New Labour pursues (in essence) the same economic policies as Thatcher (one only has to think of anti-inflationary policies, free market ideals and the privatisation of state industries).

I can understand why some detest Thatcher though. Due to her individualist beliefs, one could argue that Britain became too individualistic a society. The average Joe was too self-interested too care about or aid his fellow man.
  • Options
    im sure thousands and thousands of miners and steelworkers and their families will wish that it was the real maggie thatcher who was beheaded.
  • Options
    Not to mention the people of Chile.
  • Options
    Not to mention the people of Chile.

?:confused:

Do you mean Argentina viz. the Falklands? :confused:
  • Options
    General Pinochet was the autocrat of Chile some years ago. He supposedly helped Britain during the Falklands War.
  • Options
    I thought Aladdin meant because Thatcher was such a staunch supporter of Augusto Pinochet.
  • Options
    Thatcher and Pinochet remain bestiest mates. And although the military coup and his subsequent brutal ruling of Chile owes nothing to Thatcher (all credit there is due to the CIA) I'm sure Chileans are 'delighted' with the Iron Lady for her staunch and continuous support of the old general in the last few years.