Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Can't f***ing sleep!!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Heya,

had problems recently with sleep. More specifically, the problem is that I have not been able to get much. And then I wake up feeling like utter shite, and end up doing bugger all all day.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to something I can do to get to kip`??

Ta for any helpful comments, and

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
(pre-emptive laughter at all those amusing comments or niggly ones...:p )

Comments

• Options
    I've heard putting lavender oil on your pillow can help to relax. :)
  • Options
    I have a similar problem. I find it always takes me at least an hour to eventually doze off. Formerly, when I hardly ever did any exercise, I found it quite easy to fall asleep after going climbing or on a run.

These days, I've been running on a more regular basis, and have started having problems with falling asleep again, no matter how tired I feel.

I've been told it's because I'm getting fitter.

And this does not seem fair at all. Shits me, it really does.

Did that make any sense?
  • Options
    I've got these wicked tablets for stress that make you drozy. :)

Failing that, night nurse.

Me mum takes half a Valium!
  • Options
    If it's particularly bad, I'll take a melatonin tablet, but I don't like taking any sort of medication in general (my mum's a doctor and I've learned it from her).

So I suffer. Not sure if that's the smart thing... :confused:
  • Options
    My sister takes valerian, I don't know if it helps or if it's just her imagination, but she sleeps better now.
  • Options
    I read somewhere that chamomile (camomile?) tea was meant to be relaxing, haven't tried it yet.

My problem is my brain just refuses to switch off at the end of the day, bedtime is the only time I have to evaluate what happened during the day, whether I want to or not. Sigh.
  • Options
  • Options
    *blinks his non-tired eyes*
    i never used to sleep...for a while last year i sometimes went two or more days with no sleep (once i went four days...i finally slept when my mate invited me round his house...its nice and quiet in there:)).
    im gettin slightly better at sleepin though...although most nights when i have to be up in the morning i cant sleep (and yeah you guessed it...kept awake with worrying about not gettin up on time lol).
    i dont go near medicine and other shit as a rule...but you could try the sleepin pills etc.

~Braidsta

ps...the lavender oil on the pillow thing works best if you only put a small amount on; otherwise itll smell rank.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Morgenstern
    My sister takes valerian, I don't know if it helps or if it's just her imagination, but she sleeps better now.

Worked for me. :) You can get valerian in tablet form in Boots, or in a liquid form--you put a few drops in a glass of water (or another drink to cover up the rank taste) about half an hour before you want to go to sleep. You can get the liquid in Neal's Yard (hopes this is a chain, and not just an Oxford shop..)

I was going to use it again, and a friend recommended it, but I've addressed my underlying issues. *beams with pride* :D That and I work loads of hours so I'm always shattered now. ;)
  • Options
    I've posted this before but, well here it is again;

The treatment that you need really depends on the type of insomnia that you have, if its based on the mental stress that you have then obviously sedatives arent the answer.

However if like me you have inheratied a sleeping problem and never sleep for more than about 3 hours in a stretch then it can get preaty bad. As yet I havent managed to get any long term meds from my docter but I have tried a few.

Valium ; Not strictly an insomnia drug, its a muscle relaxant. However it will make you sleep soundly, does have a slight hangover though, lasts about 9hrs.

Temazepan ; Similar to valium but just a crappier version, quite stony, zonked me out, I didnt like it, lasts about 9hrs

Matrazapean (spelt wrong) ; Its kind of a mixture of prozac and a sedative, can be taken long term, takes about an hour to work, then lasts another 9 after that, does have a hangover, I felt quite groggy on this, I dont really like it.

Stilnoct ; This is a new one, I quite liked it, it felt more focused than the others, just helped me sleep and didnt fog my mind, no hangover what so ever lasts about 8hrs. This ones the best for insomnia, not sure if it can be taken long term though.

Valian ; its a herbal cure, personaly I'm not convinced, I have tried it in pill form a few times, it did seem to help me sleep when I had got quite drunk, after which I normaly dont sleep well at all.

GHB ; helps me sleep quite well, quite expencive to use every night though, plus does wear off after about 5hrs. No hang over.

Well hope this helps