Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Fille Transfer for Uni

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, here is the deal...I am not a genius with computers, but by no means an idiot...

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way in which I could connect my laptop to my desktop so as to transfer files from one to the other. I have some large files and I only have one phone line so the internet is not an option...

I have various things that I think could work, but I am sure that the computer whizzes here could come up with something ten times les time consuming...

Cheers

Unclebobert

Comments

• Options
    I think you can do it with a direct cable connection using serial cables and software. I'm not sure though. Laptops come with network cards as standard and so do some pc's, and you'll have a cable somewhere, maybe that'll work
  • Options
    Ok, cheers 4 that...

But if anyone else has any ideas on the matter, don't hesitate to write..

I'll try the serial cable connection...thanx whowhere
  • Options
    Assuming that both are windows machines and neither has a network card then a serial cable connection may be the best way,

but first ... does the current machine have a CD burner or something similer? Its just that this would make things a lot easier...

No? Ok.. The cable you need is a serial pass through cable, a standard serail cable will not do.

Plug the cable into the serial port on both machines.

on both machine start the DCC (direct cable connection), one as the client and one as the host.
    You should be able to find DCC in start -> programs -> accessories -> Communications .

If it is not here you may need to instal it from the windws CD-Rom
  • Options
    Yeah I was gonna suggest putting them on a CD-R/RW. However if that ain't possibly then do it via a network.

Home network between Dads PC, Laptop and my deskrop runs aty 100MB/s so don't worry about how big the files are cos they won't take yonks anyway :D.

No sure what the point of this post was cos I've only confirmed what Whowhere and cokephreak have said :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Thanx you lot

Ummm...I think I'll have to hijack a cable froim my school, cos the only comp with a burner is the laptop, which is not much help considering I need it to be on the desktop...

Would a Zip drive (w/ disk obviously) be a good way, cos I reckon I could use it to get what I need across
  • Options
    A zip drive would be fine way of doing it.
    I think the upper limit for this would be files of over 250MB, as thats the largest format disk you can get for a zip drive, but i think its unlikely that you'll have anything over that size, with the possible exception of you outlook mail file, if you have one.

Actually we occasionally use these at work, to move stuff off machines too old or dead to put onto the network. This i snot the quickest way of doing it, but at the end of it you're left with a backup of your important file son the zipdisk.
    Thats never a bad thing.
  • Options
    Originally posted by unclebobert
    Thanx you lot

Ummm...I think I'll have to hijack a cable froim my school, cos the only comp with a burner is the laptop, which is not much help considering I need it to be on the desktop...

Would a Zip drive (w/ disk obviously) be a good way, cos I reckon I could use it to get what I need across
    If the computers at Uni have Zip disks, then the easiest solution would be to get an external Zip drive for your laptop.
    A serial cable will only be useful if the Uni computers let you set up direct cable connection (very very unlikely), and you can ensure the serial port is set up to match your laptop's serial port (baud rates, parity, etc).
    It's extremely unlikely that you would be able to use a network card to transfer files because the Uni system will almost certainly forbid that (unless it was set up by chimps - do the IT staff have an overly hairy appearence, and groom eachother for parasites?).

If it's simple small files, such as the odd Word/Excell document, then you may find it just easier, and cheaper, to email it to your email account, then retreive it at home.

Not a great deal of help here, am I? (unless adding to the confusion counts as help). :)

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Quick Thought

What about those little USB widgets that can hold either 32, 64 or 128 MB of data? I don't know if they need to have software installed to use them (most likely), but that could be a way to transfer files between Uni machines and your laptop.

Mr_Wobble ;)

Just checked. 64 MB version for £45, 128MB version for £75, no software needed, works with Windoze ME, 2k, and XP. :)
    Software needed for Windoze '95 & '98 though. Check your Uni's Windoze versions.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    What about those little USB widgets that can hold either 32, 64 or 128 MB of data? I don't know if they need to have software installed to use them (most likely)

16, 32, 64, 128, 256 are all the ones we stock out here.. :)

basically if using one with Win ME, 2000, XP you plug it into your USB drive and then you can access it via 'My Computer' or 'Windows Explorer' as a removable drive (it mounts itself and appears as a drive there and you can access it the same)

Bear in mind that Windows 95 (and 95b) doesn't work very well with USB devices, so if your transfering between those O/S's you may have to find an alternative... :)

Personally I think DCC is a pile of crap, the thought of using a Iomega Zip Drive (100mb/250mb) is good however sometimes machines have issues with the software and it can cause them to hang and thats another thing.. it requires software to install and you need relevent permissions on some machines (NT, 2000 and XP) in order to install, if these have been set by an administrator.

Networking the two machines is another option and probably the best if you have that facility, if the laptop has eithewr a built in or PCMCIA card and the computer has a PCI network card you just need some cross over cable (either Cat 5 or 5e), add file and print sharing to each machine and share the drives (if you want further details) then copy the files across... I'd say it would be the fastest machine too...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    It's extremely unlikely that you would be able to use a network card to transfer files because the Uni system will almost certainly forbid that (unless it was set up by chimps - do the IT staff have an overly hairy appearence, and groom eachother for parasites?).
    *ahem* File sharing is pretty much one of the main points of the university networks.........