Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

School Sixth Form vs College

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I was wondering if any1 could give me their view on whether they feel a school sixth form or colllege is better. Any experiences of your own
Thanks
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Well I could have stayed at the 6th form but I decided to go onto college.

My friends who stayed at the 6th form for the first few months were not allowed to leave the site on free periods and I wouldn't have liked that.

I just found I was treated more like an adult by going to college because they were a brand new set of teachers who I didn't know (I didn't like very many of my teachers at my old school)

I don't know if it is a case over which is better, it's different for different people. :)
  • Options
    Thanks 4 that reply
  • Options
    i think oit depends how you work - my 6th form is quite good about treating us completely differently to how they did in years 7-11, and i think that's good, but we do have a dress code (smart, business like wear). I think i do better in a 6th form than i would in a college, cos unless i'm nagged, i don't work as well, but if you work well inder your own steam, go for it!
  • Options
    personally i think college is the better option because it gives you the chance to meet new people. when i started college it helped me meet loadsa new friends th@ lived away from my home town. also it gives you the chance to avoid the people th@ you didn't like from skool as you have the choice whether or not to be in the same room or not
  • Options
    I think college is better, for a few reasons. When my brother went to college he met lots of different people, his age and older. Meeting new people meant going out with different crowds etc and he became more independant and happier. Being happier also help with your work :D
  • Options
    I've opted to start college in September. From what I've heard at 6th form they still treat pupils like they are doing GCSEs. At my local 6th form they still have to wear a uniform which some could say is a good thing. College I think has more of a range of courses and activites and it think it's more laid back and a more adult atmosphere. Probably more chance of meeting other people. I think that probably college prepares you better for uni as the atmosphere it more mature and you're more independant. Best thing about college- no annoying little kids from further down the school.
  • Options
    I went to 6th form for the following reasons:

- I knew the teachers who would be teaching me, and they knew my strengths and weaknesses.

- Although there was a dress code it meant I didn't have to 'dress to impress' everyday and could keep my clothes for social occassions.

- I wouldn't have to worry about making friends because I could keep the same ones.

- I knew we had extra privilages in the 6th form, like free periods.

- There were compulsary study periods in the library which gave me the chance to get my work done so I rarely had homework.

- There was a high level of pastoral care.

My friends who went to college were left to their own devices, rarely had work marked, there was no reporting of progress, no mock exams, no extra help after class, they could never think of anything to wear, often didn't go to college when they couldn't be bothered and they didn't do any of the coursework because they could get away without doing it - the teachers didn't care. They all say that they wished they'd gone to 6th form because they would have been made to work.

However, if you want to do a vocational course, like GNVQs or similar then college is best. Trust me.
  • Options
    thanks 4 all those replies
  • Options
    I have just finished 2 years at my consortium 6th form. Don't know if all 6th forms work this way or if ours was a bit different. basically 6th form lessons were split across 4 of the local schools and we travelled from one to the other when needed by provided buses. They were only about 10-15 minutes apart from each other. I chose to go to 6th form rather than college as I don't like change and get scared when starting new things, so at least with 6th form some of the people and places are familiar to you. The other thing I would say about it is that the teachers will chase up on you more if you are behind on work, which most people see as a down side to 6th form, but if you are like me and often gets behind and find it difficult to manage yourself then it may be the better option. I was under the impression that at colleges they leave you to get on with it more. But then again, maybe that gives you good practice for uni. Wow, I made that reply so much more complicated sounding than it needed to be!
    Oh yeah, and referring to one of the earlier replys, my 6th form also had that rule where for the first term the newbie students couldn't go home in free lessons. thing is, nobody listened to it and I don't think the teachers expected us to either!
  • Options
    I initially attended a 6th form college after I left school,purely because it was on my doorstep (10 minutes walk) and seemed to have good pass rates but could never settle in with it.

Its too much like school,and once you`ve left school..my opinion is you should embrace the freedom of not being in such a strict "regime" and be able to grow up.
    I completed my first year of 6th form (studying physics and geography),then luckily got onto an internship abroad,and did 3 days college week there and loved every minute of it.

Not being personal or offensive to anyone who goes to 6th form,but from personal experiance the people who tend to go there are wannabe lawyers and people wanting to be executives,higher up the salary chain later on in life.

And at college,most of my friends only studied one subject,whilst 6th forms make you do 2 or 3 at a minimum,which is bad as you cannot fully concentrate on one thing and get through the education system quickly,and into the real world in the job you want..or at least start university earlier.
  • Options
    Referring 2 what Airbus_Pilot said my sixth form is literally opposite my house , 30 secs away but going 2 college would mean 1/2 hour 2 1 hour travelling each day , so i think logically i might end up in the sixth form but i don't like the idea of being treated like kids
  • Options
    I went to a college. There was no way I was staying at my school, because
    1 It was all girls
    2 They didn't do the subjects I wanted
    3 Everyone there hated me after 5 years :) I had a bad reputation and wanted a new start.

Going to college was one of the best things I did. No rules, no pressure, lots of men :) and treated like an adult rather than a naughty child.
  • Options
    I stayed on at Sixth Form. I didn't even once contemplate moving elsewhere.

I guess the reasons were all varied. It was close, it was convenient, I din't have to worry about enrolling or anything. I knew the school, I knew the standards, and I knew all the staff. I knew I'd be happy to stay there, I liked the people and I liked the place itself. The place already felt like home, another two years would be no hassle. When the transition was made, the teachers became more like friends, and because you'd chosen their subject, the whole teaching style became far more relaxed. Support was outstanding.

Admittedly, it was restrictive. We had to wear uniform, we had to be there normal hours, and weren't given that much freedom. We also had homework, regular deadlines. Exams, reports, that sort of thing.

I think a crucial factor must be to look a stage further still. What do you want to do after A2s? Does the place you are going offer support, expertise and help with getting there? Do staff look at personal statements, for example, and help with UCAS applications? Do they know anything about it?

We had a superb Head of Sixth Form who was perfectly suited to it; he knew UCAS applications, admissions procedures, and all aspects of university applications. That, alone, made Sixth Form and inevitability. And one well worth it for me.

However, the choice, as they say on Blind Date, is yours.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DJP
    When the transition was made, the teachers became more like friends, and because you'd chosen their subject, the whole teaching style became far more relaxed. Support was outstanding.

We had a superb Head of Sixth Form who was perfectly suited to it; he knew UCAS applications, admissions procedures, and all aspects of university applications.

These were also the main reasons I loved sixth form!
  • Options
    There are good and bad points about my 6th form, the good things are that the teachers know me (hang on that might not be such a good thing)...no uniform...we've got a crackin' head of year...oh and we get to go straight to the front of the dinner line.
    However I have found we don't get treated like adults by the majority of the teachers the common room is rammed full of people so you can hardly breath and in the first year you can't go home for private study.
    The best piece of advice i can offer is do what you think is right. If you want to stay then do it, if you don't then don't. :cool:

p.s. one more thing i hate about my school is the plan of the day...the powers that be have just changed it so we have 4 lessons before dinner then 1 after.......my poor stomach....it's gonna get sooooo hungry. :(