Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Depression?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok ive read the couple of depression posts and im pretty sure that I am depressed to some degree but I feel sort of scared to actually admit it.

Symptoms:
Feel constantly down (feelings of helplessness/hopelessness). The only thing that can keep my mind off of the past and sometimes suicide, is working really hard and just doing anything I can to keep my mind occupied.
Regularly (almost every night) dream about suicide or dying in some capacity. Quite often think about self-harm (used to do it a couple of years ago but am just about managing to stop myself from doing it atm)
I don't feel like I have any real friends despite talking to alot of people at work and when I was out saturday night I saw alot of people from work who quite happily greeted me, I want to think like they're friends but in the past my friends have just stabbed me in the back so I don't wana think them to be friends otherwise I will prolly trust them even less that I do now.
I don't think that i`m ever going to be really happy. I don't see a future with me getting a girlfriend and all that marriage and kids stuff. It seems that working to be a manager at Tesco (yes I know, but there have been quite a few managers say I could do it) is the only thing that I will ever achieve.
I've just finished a 2 years BTEC ND in Computing and am certain that I have failed and there's no way I`m going back to college.
It seems that nothing that happens around me really affects me emotionally. My nan was hospitalised recently, and I just really didn't care.

I assumed until recently that it was just hormones or something, but people around me have been asking me alot if im alright lately and I`m just wondering if maybe its something more than that.

I didn't have the hardest life but it wasn't easy. When I was 10 my six-week old nephew was nearly killed by his father, Bastard A (Sister A's boyfriend). When he got out of prison about 2 months later, he started going out with Sister B.
They conflicted quite badly with Sister A and she eventually moved back to Portsmouth with her boyfriend (who is now her husband and father of her other 3 children).
Sister B has had 3 children with Bastard A and all three (girls) have been adopted because she won't leave him and the courts say he is still dangerous. She is pregnant again with a fourth child, which neither me or my parents are having anything to do with cos it`ll just get taken away like the other three.
Between the above, my grandad and uncle died and I was constantly bullied (and I mean every day) from beginning of Junior School through to the end of Secondary School, which has made me very distrusting of others to the extent where I don't trust anyone. This also makes it quite difficult to form relationships.

I've always thought of myself as, well, pretty ugly. Recently women seem to be showing more interest in me (from saying they fancied me to just compliments like saying i`m cute, or nice, etc) and I just feel that the main thing standing in the way of the vague possibility of happiness is the extreme feelings of instability and mistrust I have.

I`d feel like a prick going to see the Doctor about this as I've never particularly liked or trusted doctors.

I was just hoping that maybe some of you people out there could maybe offer advice other than going to the doctor, like what helped you get over depression and/or the uncertainties I have described above.

I feel like an idiot for typing all this out and asking complete strangers for advice, but I don't trust anyone who knows me and this has just been dwelling on my mind for far too long.

Comments

• Options
    Hi, i know you dont want advice about going to the doctors, but the doctor is there to help, and its pretty tough getting over this on your own. Your doctor wont just laugh at you or anything, he/she will be able to see whats wrong and take suitable action form there. Have you got anbody really close who you can trust? If you can, tell somebody about how your feeling because it will be a big weight off your shoulders. If not, then you can always get in touch with a councillor. If you go to the doctors they will be able to get you in touch with one if its required, but you can also get in touch with one without having to go to the doctors.

Here is information from thesites mental health special about breaking free from depression, if thats what you have.
    But i would recommend a visit to the doctors, and put aside your dislike of them, because like i said they are there to help.

Hope i've helped a little :)
  • Options
    Like amz said you have to see a doctor. If you don't it will get worse. I know im going to sound like such a hypocrite but oh well. I feel exactly like you but i am too scared to go to the doctor and i can feel myself getting worse everyday. It is starting to effect my physical healh now. So please please please put aside your dislike / distrust and get yourself some help. Its the only way or it will get worse. I hope you do that right thing. Good luck

Luv Tek-ila
    xxx
  • Options
    Make you a deal Tek-ila.

I`ll go to the doctor if you do :)
  • Options
    I've got a better idea. First one to go to the doctor wins a prize.

Talyn, you sound very stressed out and in need of some support. Print out this page, and take it with you to the docs. Find a doctor you like at your local surgery, younger GPs are often pretty clued up.

And Tek-ila, same goes for you. Go on, it's worth making the effort.
  • Options
    hi i know how u feel ive been depressed for 3 years now and recently it got really bad and i turned to alcohol but now ive stoped because i went on a trip wiv school and got pissed and ended up tellin one of my teachers exactly wot was going on and believe me it helps.i didnt just go up and talk to him straight away i talk to sum of my friends and they helped me confront him.
    if u cant talk to a teacher just talk to sum1 it helps alot i havent told him everything about the situation he just thinks im stressed but in time i am gona tell him
    please just tal to sum1
    hope this helps u
  • Options
    I have been suffering from worsening depression for the past 3 or 4 years (I'm 19 now). Went to uni last Sept but left in Dec. Doctor there was really good, prescribed me antidepressants (which made me feel weird, but still...) and referred me to the university counselling service.
    Now back at home, my doctor is useless, and tells me to get over it. He's the only doctor at the practice, and there's no other practice in the area which is taking new patients.
    Any ideas about what else I could do?
  • Options
    Only thing I can think of is to try and get a referral to a doctor at your local hospital or get your old doctor to contact your new one and explain the situation to him then maybe he`ll get his head out of his arse and help you.

I`m still contemplating going to the doctors myself. Been going out more lately and been realising that my lack of confidence (plus my less than happy demeanour) is really screwing up my pulling opportunities.

Good luck Matthew82
    Originally posted by Matthew82
    I have been suffering from worsening depression for the past 3 or 4 years (I'm 19 now). Went to uni last Sept but left in Dec. Doctor there was really good, prescribed me antidepressants (which made me feel weird, but still...) and referred me to the university counselling service.
    Now back at home, my doctor is useless, and tells me to get over it. He's the only doctor at the practice, and there's no other practice in the area which is taking new patients.
    Any ideas about what else I could do?