Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

penalties for sex offences

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I found these and I was just interested to see if everyone agrees with them or can think of anymore offences which aren't covered by the law.

existing penalties for sex offences

Rape: life imprisonment (all quoted sentences are maximum penalties).

Indecent assault (on a woman): 10 years.

Burglary with intent to commit rape (14 years in a home: 10 years in any other building).

Applying drugs to a woman to obtain sexual intercourse: 2 years.

Indecent exposure: 3 months. 1 year for second or subsequent conviction.

Gross indecency (act of indecency between men, not in private) 2 years.

Assault with intent to commit buggery or anal sex. 10 years.

Sexual intercourse with a girl under 16: 2 years.

Sexual intercourse with a girl under 13: life imprisonment.

Indecency with a child under 14: 10 years.

Incest: where victim is under 13, life imprisonment; otherwise 7 years.

Causing or encouraging prostitution: 2 years.

Man living on the earnings of female prostitution: 7 years.

Woman exercising control over prostitutes: 7 years.

Living on earnings of male prostitution: 7 years

Comments

• Options
    Makes you wonder why men having sex with more than one partner at a time is worth more than being a flasher. Hmmm.]

The problems doesnt come with the maximum tariffs though, but with the fact most sexual attackers dont get the maximum tariff. I bet a burglar intending to rape wouldnt get 10 years, and I know rapists dont get life.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    and I know rapists dont get life.

Exactly. They most certainly don't. :mad:

Why does incest automatically have a reduced charge if the person is over 13? 7 years is fucking pitiful.

Nevermind. This stuff makes me furious.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miss Quoted
    Why does incest automatically have a reduced charge if the person is over 13?

Thirteen is the age that the law deems a girl capable of knowing what sex is, and can give consent to sex, although it is illegal to actually do it with her. Girls aged under 13 do not know what sex is, and, as such, are incapable of giving consent...thus, it is rape.

The penalty changes are because under-13s are raped, over-13s are not. This, of course, deals with CONSENSUAL incest, and not rape by members of the family, which is still life imprisonment as it is rape.
  • Options
    truth of the matter is that guys who commit paedophilic crimes, whilst they may not get a life sentence, have little chance of survival amongst the general population of most prisons. Crimes against women and children are by the criminals' code deemed to be worthy of serious harm in prison.
  • Options
    Rape: life imprisonment (all quoted sentences are maximum penalties). - YES, if there is evidence it was definitely forced

Indecent assault (on a woman): 10 years. - MAYBE, depends on severity...I was minorly assaulted a couple of weeks ago...I've had nightmares and when I pass the place where it happened, I start trembling and have flashbacks, but I wouldn't say 10 years for the pervert(whom the shithead police never found. i live in fear now :( )

Burglary with intent to commit rape (14 years in a home: 10 years in any other building). NO, maybe 1/2 that is sufficient

Applying drugs to a woman to obtain sexual intercourse: 2 years. YES

Indecent exposure: 3 months. 1 year for second or subsequent conviction. YES, although I'd say 6 months and 2 years

Gross indecency (act of indecency between men, not in private) 2 years. NO, 6 months?...I've never heard of this crime, so I don't really have anyway to judge.

Assault with intent to commit buggery or anal sex. 10 years. YES

Sexual intercourse with a girl under 16: 2 years. NO, if its completely voluntary, maybe 1 year...if forced: life

Sexual intercourse with a girl under 13: life imprisonment. NO, if voluntary, 20 years; if forced: life

Indecency with a child under 14: 10 years.

Incest: where victim is under 13, life imprisonment; older than 13 and forced, life; older than 13 and voluntary...don't know

Causing or encouraging prostitution: 2 years. YES

Man living on the earnings of female prostitution: 7 years. YES

Woman exercising control over prostitutes: 7 years. YES

Living on earnings of male prostitution: 7 years. YES
  • Options
    Id say they are pretty much right...

Except for the prostitution stuff...
  • Options
    meaning they should be higher or lower?
  • Options
    Sexual intercourse with a girl under 13: life imprisonment. NO, if voluntary, 20 years; if forced: life

In this country you'll be lucky if a life sentence runs for 20 years!
  • Options
    What happens if a woman rapes a woman....?

Is it possible?
  • Options
    Originally posted by lil_kazzy
    What happens if a woman rapes a woman....?

Is it possible?

Yes, it is possible, although unless actual penetration with something (an object, vibrator etc) was proved then they would probably be charged with indecent assault.

Within the last year a woman was found guilty of raping another woman. In UK law any person taking part in a rape through holding someone down etc can be charged with rape.
  • Options
    What I have alwasy wondered is:

Is it possible for a woman to rape a man?

I know what I am about to say is really silly but you never know, it could happen:

Man and woman having sex, she ties him up but he decides he wants to stop. She won't untie him despite him telling her to stop and let him free.

She gives him oral sex against his wishes and so forth...

Could the guy say she raped him?
  • Options
    Sexual intercourse with a girl under 16: 2 years. NO, if its completely voluntary, maybe 1 year...if forced: life

What about sex with an underage boy? And why should voluntary sex result in them still going to prison? Why doesn't the girl go to prison too? Argh, I've confused myself.

I give up.
  • Options
    Because we live in a puritanical world where sex in all its forms is still considered largely taboo. it's understandable that society needs to protect its weakest members (i.e. children, the elderly, etc.) but i have to admit that i consider most laws regarding sex to be pedantic.

Laws regarding the age of consent are driven by values that are rapidly vanishing from western society and which are designed to repress sexual freedom and choice.
  • Options
    In some ways I agree with the age of consent, however, if there wasn't an age of consent then I don't think there would be as many teenage pregnancies or the taboo which there is in society about sex.

If children know thay can't legally do something then they think it must be something really great and are likely to want to 'give it a go'. If there was no age of consent then I don't think people would place as much importance on sex at a young age.

However, like I said, I see a need to protect younger children, and a lot of people who have sex at a young age say they wish they could have waited until they were older and in a secure loving relationship. I don't think when you are 13/14 that you are emotionally mature enough to handle a relationship which involves sex. I know I wasn't.
  • Options

Bumblebee

Yes, under the situation that you described, or if a 17 yesr old woman had sex with a 15 year old man.

I think these should both be considerd rape under the current definitions of the word, but i doubt that they would be taken seriously by the police.

This is another of the great sexual inadequacys in this country... I agree that some people need to be protected against preditors.. the children and the elderly (maybe add disabled into here...)

but we seem to be classing women as weak and in need of protection...
    Classing half of sociaty like that seems ludicrus to me... esp. because people have been fighting for years to get women equal rights as men.

Also i note that their is a given listing for indecent assult on a woman... but not on a man. Same as applying drugs to gain sexual intercourse... is this really something thats only a crime when performed agaisnt a woman?

Similar note : I've read in the papers about some very underage girls having babies. Does this mean the underage "fathers" were sent to prison? They were having sex with an underage girl... and shouldn't the girl be sent to prison aswell... they have just had jailbait sex themselves....

Maybe if we sent all of the young mothers and fathers to prison for a few year... we'd have fuller prisons.

OK, but whats the point in having a law if its only going to be applied selectivly???
  • Options
    If i remember correctly, "gross indecency" applies to things like:

man kissing a man in public
    man holding another guys hand

not applicable to women [ie 2 women can kiss]

not been used for years as blatantly an illegial law under the ECHR fro above reason. It also used to cover things like asking for a guys phone number was considered solicitation, and gay consexual sex could only be between 2 men, never 3 or 4 or.....

repealed in the sexual offences [amendment] act 2001, when they equalised ages of consent

AFAIK it is indecent assault not rape if it is a boy under 16 having sex with a 17yr old girl, forced or not
  • Options
    Last year, I was raped by my boyfriend and two of his friends.
    I went to the police and made a general inquiry (i.e. "so if one of my friends was raped by her boyfriend etc etc how many years would he get?) and the reply was "It depends on the severity of the rape etc etc etc but he could get a life sentence, however these rarely last longer than 20 years" Now what I want to know is why the fuck do so-called "life" sentences only last 20 years or so? Are they trying to tell me that if I had gone to the police, he could've been locked up but after 20 years (if that) he could quite easily come after me again, as malicious as ever, only this time he would be even more so, because he'd spent the past 20 years of his life in the clink?
    The system of law is fucked. 'Scuse my french.
    I did not go to the police, and I live in regret of it. Not a lot I can do now. It has fucked up my life, and the life of my best friend. I cannot have an intimate relationship with a man because of it, and I can no longer take much pleasure at all in any form of physical contact. What makes it worse is that I used to find practically all of my comfort in hugging my best friend, and I can no longer do that as I flinch and my whole body starts shaking as soon as I am touched by anyone, and there is nothing I can do about it.
    If anyone else has had a similar experience (i.e. rape, indecent assault etc) feel free to contact me.
    :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by fxxxwit
    Are they trying to tell me that if I had gone to the police, he could've been locked up but after 20 years (if that) he could quite easily come after me again, as malicious as ever, only this time he would be even more so, because he'd spent the past 20 years of his life in the clink?

I doubt after 20 years he would come looking for you as you say because he would end up back in prison. I think the whole point would be to punish him.

I feel for you I really do. Perhaps you should talk to a counsellor or doctor about your experiences?
  • Options

yeah there was a case in america about this, v.controverisal.

a woman had sex with a man but he did not want it because he was a mormon or something and didnt believe in sex before marridge. like all cases in america-it ended up she had to pay him compensation but she wasnt sent to prison.
  • Options
    Going to councellors- would just make me talk and I have this thing about talking about it, it makes me cry and i have a weird fear of crying. I don't know why.... weird really!:)
  • Options
    Better you cry now and discuss it with someone so you rid yourself of the psychological trauma than keep it in for fear of crying (of all things) and have it fester over time into a serious neurosis.
  • Options
    Yes fxxxwit, something really traumatic has happened to you and you cannot begin to get over it until you have spoken about it. It may be too late to do something about it now legally (in your own opinion) but you can make sure you aren't adversly affected.
  • Options
    don't take the piss out of fear of crying- it's not my fault.
    and sorry for being ignorant but what's a neurosis? ohhhhhh is it neurotic?! ahhh right.
    and I can and will get over it, it's been a year and I've told some of my friends and they are now so protective of me. I can talk to them any time of the day and I have other friends who don't have exams and shit so I can talk to them too if i want to.
  • Options
    Nobody was taking the piss out of anything. both the posts above were serious and sincere.

Despit the fact that you have friends to talk to (which is good for sure) they are not professional counsellors who know what types of psychological problems can develop out of such a trauma. i would again strongly urge you to seek some professional counselling and work through the issues this attack has implanted deep in your mind. you might be shocked to realise that you arent evn necessarily consciously aware of how deep the trauma can go.
  • Options
    The 1 rule i think sucks is the fact that a man/woman would only get 2 years forapplying drugs 2 obtain sexual intercourse. Isn't this really the same as rape, the person isn't in a fit state 2 decide whether they want sex or not.
  • Options
    ok. i will talk to someone. I don't know who but I will seriously consider it. Thanks for your advice and help,it's truly appreciated.
    Will keep you posted.:)