Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

You never know what you've got until it's gone

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is really hard for me to explain, but I'll try.

My friend moved away 5 weeks ago to Australia, with his family. He had no say in whether he wanted to go, he had to, or it would mean going to boarding school and spending his life there until he's 18.

This guy was my best friend since I was 6 years old. I could tell him anything and everything. He might not have been in the same situation before, but he always tried to help me out. We had a laugh when he was living here, we had our arguments, but the time we had was awesome.

He phoned me today.. a bit out of the blue, I suppose. He phoned at about 7:10 AM, and we spoke until 10. He told me all about his girlfriend and how gorgeous she is, how her smile lights up the room, and all about his new friends, his new neighbourhood and his new life. I love being single and I never liked my friend more than a friend, but I envy everyone around him now.

I miss my friend more than anything. I didn't think of him before now, and it seems like he's forgotten all about me. On the phone, all he wanted was to talk about him him him. It seems like he's changed, it really hurts me to think that my best friend of 8 years has moved on.

How do I take my mind off him now, should I email him, should I phone him again, or should I forget about him completley?

Comments

• Options
    5 weeks isn't a lot. He is probably all excited about his new life... And happy that the outcome so far has been good.

Still, I understand how you feel. It's totally justified. But give him some time to settle, while telling him that you miss him, and that you still concider him as your best friend etc.
    Make him realize that the fact that you are not on the same continent, doesn't mean that anything in your relationship changes.

Good luck :)
  • Options
    Dont give up on him. He may have been putting on a front so that he does not upset you or worry you. He may be afraid that your are mising him and by telling you it has been slightly difficult and he has not managed too well you may get upset and worry about him.

Like whipper said he may be so excited about his new mates and the fact he is living in a different country (i mean the weather here is not a lot to be excited about :) ) He may have got carried away. You will not be single forever and the first 2 months of a relationship are usually the most fun and tne best. He's happy and there is no reason why you should be sad. You will find someone special oneday and you will love it.

He has not forgotten you and im sure he does miss you but he knows if he told you so on the phone it would have upset you. Cheer up and keeep in touch with him. :)

Hope all is well you have known each other a while and although i cant sympathise and believe me many couldnt i would probably be thinking the same it is natural to worry. You will soon see improvements Goodluck :)

*DEVIL*
  • Options
    It could be that hes just missing you and just doesnt know what to say when he now talks to you. the reason he may be talking about himself all the time may be because he just doesnt know what to say. your both gonna be living different lives now with different friends and so there will be times when you will have arkward moments.
    just give it time to sort its self out though because it has only been 5weeks. if you both want to keep your friendship going then you will.
    but the main thing is to talk to him - tell him how your feeling and ask him why he only ever talks about himself now. itll do you both some good.
    Good luck:)