Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Breast reduction update: 1st consult

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well I got there this morning and heard that the doctor I am meant to be seeing wasn't in. Grrrrr

So I waited.....and waited and waited ;) I then went in. The doctor I saw didn't even introduce herself. The entire consult must have been 5 minutes long. She examined me and showed me where the scars would be.

She then said 'But why do you want a breast reduction? You have perfect breasts I see hundreds of women who want your breasts' I nearly flipped. Yes they are so bloody perfect they are causing me back neck and shoulder problems, and I can't run or sleep on my front! etc Another Grrrrr

Then because my mum was in the room, she said 'What does your mum think about this?' I said (rather annoyed at this point) 'It's my body, it's not up to my mother' she then said, 'Yes but you have your mother in the room so it obviously matters' I was so p*ssed off at this point 'My mother is only in her because SHE wanted to be here' I snapped

I was then given a leaflet explaining things about the operation and post op stuff. The rest of the appointment centred around her talking about the medical schools I want to go to. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad:

I was enraged. I was so unhappy about this and the nurse took me to one side and asked me if I wanted to talk to the nurse in charge. I agreed and this nurse was brilliant. I asked her loads of questions, she showed me before/after pics, we talked over what could go wrong and what would be done about it.

I then asked if I had a choice over the person who would do the surgery. I demanded (in a non aggressive diva way!:p ) that I want Ms Shrotria. She said that I should phone in 6 months and she would arrange for me to see Ms Shrotria one to one. I was really pleased about this because this is the surgeon I want to operate on me.

They said I would prob end up a C/D cup which I am very happy with. :D

I left feeling a lot happier about it all, I will have to wait for 12-18 months which I can do!....I hope! But no I don't mind waiting since there are people who need things e.g. breast cancer ops more urgently than I ever would. :)

Comments

• Options
    Re: Breast reduction update: 1st consult
    Originally posted by go_away
    Well I got there this morning and heard that the doctor I am meant to be seeing wasn't in. Grrrrr

This happens, they are allowed holidays too you know... :)
    So I waited.....and waited and waited ;) I then went in. The doctor I saw didn't even introduce herself. The entire consult must have been 5 minutes long. She examined me and showed me where the scars would be.

Grrrr :mad:

This kind of thing really fucks me off and is everything I am fighting against.

I mean what does it cost just to say "Hello, my name is..."? and yet Doctors seem completely incapable of this. I once asked one why and he said they didn't have time :eek:

I told him he was an arsehole and that it could make all the difference to the patient...some people just don't get the idea of manners.
    She then said 'But why do you want a breast reduction? You have perfect breasts I see hundreds of women who want your breasts' I nearly flipped. Yes they are so bloody perfect they are causing me back neck and shoulder problems, and I can't run or sleep on my front! etc Another Grrrrr

Like you'd even be[/b] there if things were fine :rolleyes:

You know what really gets me is that people have such respect for Doctors. I would like to think that this person was a one off.

She isn't :(

I was so unhappy about this and the nurse took me to one side and asked me if I wanted to talk to the nurse in charge. I agreed and this nurse was brilliant. I asked her loads of questions, she showed me before/after pics, we talked over what could go wrong and what would be done about it.

and this is why I try to develop nurse-led clinics. They give a more caring approach. Doctors are only interested in the condition and your problem. Nurses are interested in you.
    I left feeling a lot happier about it all, I will have to wait for 12-18 months which I can do!....I hope! But no I don't mind waiting since there are people who need things e.g. breast cancer ops more urgently than I ever would. :)

Actually that is bad. The maximum you should wait after the Doctor has agreed to operate is 12 months, in fact after March this should be reducing further...

You actually have the right to be treated privately after this time (NB The hospital must arrange this, they will not reimburse you if you pay for it yourself first)...
  • Options
    This happens, they are allowed holidays too you know...
    I don't think she was on holiday, there had been an accident on the M25 today, I don't know if you heard about it, but it was all mayhem, I wrote that out of anger cos I was a bit disappointed initially because I really wanted to meet this woman because I have heard that she is such a remarkable person.

It's interesting about what you said about waiting times. I don't know if this is relevant, but apparently a lot of plastic surgeons won't actually do breast reductions because they consider it to be a cosmetic thing only :rolleyes: so there are more people wanting reductions with fewer surgeons. Hmmm
    I mean what does it cost just to say "Hello, my name is..."? and yet Doctors seem completely incapable of this. I once asked one why and he said they didn't have time

That's awful. Do you think this concerns the more 'old school' doctors, or do you think it's also a problem with newly qualified docs?
  • Options
    Re: Re: Breast reduction update: 1st consult
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

and this is why I try to develop nurse-led clinics. They give a more caring approach. Doctors are only interested in the condition and your problem. Nurses are interested in you.

Thats true. I have Diabetes, and I go to check up's every 6 weeks. The nurses there are all (I have one who is in charge of me) very caring, and nice, and interested in how everything goes. The doctors are very nice as well, nothing to complain about, they are also conciderate and all... But in the end the nurses are the ones who make the difference.

go_away, really dissapointed to hear about that consultation, especially after reading your previous posts and seeing how excited you were about it. Though, it is always good that the nurse took time out for you, and hopefully it will end all good :)
  • Options
    I bet its mostly men who think its just cosmetic surgery. Because, of course, they like looking at big tits without having to suffer the back and shoulder ache and the fact youll have knee-warmers by the time youre 30.
  • Options
    fact youll have knee-warmers by the time youre 30.
    aargh! :eek: and if I exercise enough without wearing a bra, I won't need to buy slippers to warm my feet by the time I'm 40 :D
  • Options
    A lot of doctors these days are only concerned with treating someone to get them out of the way, without even finding out THEIR reasons... as in your case - you want smaller boobs and have OBVIOUSLY thought about it a lot, i mean to REDUCE to a D/C cup you must have rather large breasts at the moment so can only imagine the troubles you have. People not talking to you face to face, so to speak, plus the physical restraints they impose.

I went out with someone who had a breast reduction, I had experience of them before and after and honestly preffered them after the op... she had to think a hell of a lot to go ahead with it though - quite a big decision. Her scarring was quite extensive but faded really well and after a while I thought they were fantastic!!

Doctors that are not interested in their patients really get on my tits (excuse the pun) i mean my sister went in to see her GP to get some advice on how to sleep better (stress in work etc was getting to her, boyfriend troubles etc...) at the most to get herself something to aid her sleep and she came out with a prescription for Prozac within 5 - 10 minutes! She ripped it up and saw another GP and got advised to try lavender oil on her pillow - which WORKED!... I was truly pissed off at the 1st doctor...

Think about it, get informed and find somone you can talk about ALL aspects of it (which it sounds like you have) even someone who can play devils advocate (to provoke thought)...

12 - 18 months sounds a hell of a long time - but at least it give you time to think and make the right decision - not sure what your rights are but some people in this thread seem to know...

Good luck babe!
  • Options
    You can tell me to go stick my thumb up my ass but...

Sorry if this is being nosey but how tall are you, what build and how "big" are we talking here???
  • Options
    Waiting lists annoy me too. I have to wait 18+ months to get my ear operated again when before i had the other ear done they said it would be at least 6 months :mad:

I'm glad alll went well for you. although the attitude of doctors annoy me while i was in hospital i dreaded getting jabs off of the doctor and anaesthetist. the nurses were so gentle where as after the op i woke up and for an ear op i had bruises all over my head and face. and my arm :confused: (not the one with drip):confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by SimonKingpin
    You can tell me to go stick my thumb up my ass but...

Sorry if this is being nosey but how tall are you, what build and how "big" are we talking here???

At the moment I am 8 stone, 5ft2 a size 10 and my boobs are around a 30F/G cup so gargh!:eek: ;)

I got a phone call this morning from the care nurse saying that I can see the surgeon I want to operate on me in September. :D But apparently there is a certain criteria to fill, since I have heard that the breasts may not stop growing till I'm 20 but since I will be 19 when I have the op I don't think it should matter....I hope! :eek:
  • Options
    I hope it all turns out well for you :)
  • Options
    It's interesting about what you said about waiting times. I don't know if this is relevant, but apparently a lot of plastic surgeons won't actually do breast reductions because they consider it to be a cosmetic thing only :rolleyes: so there are more people wanting reductions with fewer surgeons. Hmmm

The demand shouldn't make any different to the waiting times (in general terms), the Trust has a duty to enusre that no-one waits more than 6 months for a first outpatient appointment and then 12 months for surgery once the patient is added to the waiting list. It's one of the things which we are rated on - in addition to the importance it has for patients.

And you are right about the "cosmetic" only aspect. I think I've said this before but plastic surgery isn't actually available on the NHS. What you get is a group of surgeon taking a drastic approach to mainly psychological problems. Most people don't like something about themselves and in some cases this means they want it cut off. However, there are cases (like yours) where there is a physical need too and I would like to think that Doctors recognise this. Unfortunately the NHS has made me too cynical...
    That's awful. Do you think this concerns the more 'old school' doctors, or do you think it's also a problem with newly qualified docs?

Would you believe that it was a junior doc who said that to me. :eek:

Old School talk to you like you aren't important, as if you don't have opinions and we have a real difficulty at the moment convincing them that the patient should be properly informed and have their viewpoint considered.

The newer guys are usually looking to change things, but when you look at their role models, is it any wonder that they have such arrogance? COnsultants aren't the most modest group of individuals...
  • Options
    Would you believe that it was a junior doc who said that to me.

How rude of a junior!! (shame it's not like Scrubs, where you can flick their ears ;))

My role model is my GP, she is amazing. Every patient she sees, she will greet them at the door of her office/room and always makes eye contact, and doesn't hide behind the computer etc :) I think it's the little things which make the big differences

MoK, I don't really know what your job is, but could you tell me what it's all about, I'm interested to know. If you don't want to say here, could you PM me?
  • Options
    go-away: At the moment I am 8 stone, 5ft2 a size 10 and my boobs are around a 30F/G cup so gargh!

Ah now I can imagine your reasons for your wanting to get them reduced a little as they are probably a little improportioned...

Good news on the September thing - hope all the pre-requisites etc... go well!!
  • Options
    How rude of a junior!! (shame it's not like Scrubs, where you can flick their ears ;))

Oh, we get revenge on them, the usual workplaced practical jokes are played..

We had one watering a real-looking plant for two months until he realised it was plastic.

I have to say, it is really life-like

:D
    MoK, I don't really know what your job is, but could you tell me what it's all about, I'm interested to know. If you don't want to say here, could you PM me?

I am a Project Manager, charged with modernising the NHS. Hence the grey hair and drinking habit ;)

Before that I was in charge of waiting lists, and bed management.

Anyway, I have recently moved departments but a little detail about what I have been doing for the past two years is posted here in an article I wrote...

and finally after over a year you will all discover my real name when you read it...
  • Options
    I'm glad this whole thing is getting sorted even if you do have to wait so long and had such a problem with the doctor. Like PussyKatty said, I hope it all goes well. :)

My doctor is amazing and always asks me how I'm getting on in school and how I am. He was making jokes last time because he forgot what to do with the computer. :) Bless him. I love my doctor. :)