Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

10 y/old + 5 pills...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Oh my god...anyone else see/hear about this? A ten year old girl died after taking what the police think were 5 e's... According to the expert on the radio the effects would ahve been 10 times that for a normal adult user...

Now I hate to say this but - if they were legal and locked away in the medicine cabinet with everything else surely it'd be safer?

Comments

• Options
    Not necessarily- who always locks up medicines?
  • Options
    Besides, it's not yet been established whether she found them or was given them.
  • Options
    Not much is known about this from any angle.

And if they were a "medication" type pill she'd OD'd on it would not have made the headlines in such a way. I wonder if this will go down as "death by misadventure" or if the need to find a scapegoat will win over...
  • Options
    Re: 10 y/old + 5 pills...
    Originally posted by felis

Now I hate to say this but - if they were legal and locked away in the medicine cabinet with everything else surely it'd be safer?

why would they have to be legal to be locked away in the medicine cabinet. you can lock illegal things in there too if you want them out of the way of kids. someone with kids around shouldnt have things like that lying around.
  • Options
    Originally posted by cokephreak
    Not much is known about this from any angle.

And if they were a "medication" type pill she'd OD'd on it would not have made the headlines in such a way. I wonder if this will go down as "death by misadventure" or if the need to find a scapegoat will win over...

not neccesarily, ive saw a headline once about a child dying from eating too many iron tablets. its really easy to OD on them apparently, and they look like smarties.
  • Options
    I've heard about Iron over doses too, they normally happen because some kids multi-vitamins contain iron.
    The kid likes the fuit flavour but iron is poisionus is high doses to young kids.
    I really dont think that legalising mdma would lead to less deaths.
  • Options
    my point was that news value does not depend on the facts, some-thing can be a story with very little known about it, providing the bits that are known have the right elements.

Death by iron tablets : unusual + something people take every day + not many people know you can OD on iron = STORY
  • Options
    No, you said if it was a medication type pill she`d ODd on then it wouldnt have made the headlines, and thought they were trying to scapegoat. I think that if a child can overdose and die on 5 es which is a very small number, then this should be taken very seriously.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I really dont think that legalising mdma would lead to less deaths.

In this case it wouldn't have changed anything, but IMO if MDMA was legalised/decriminalised the number of deaths from the drug would proabbly be less common... more importantly though, the risk would definately be lower.

To say that someone has died from ecstasy is never that simple, most deaths are related to misuse of the drug and usually involve overheating or dehydration, both of which can be avoided with proper education. Unfortunately the government doesn't believe in proper education... instead it uses scare tactics which can be just as damaging as the drug itself... i.e Leah Betts drinking too much water.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    There is no proof (as off yet) that this girl took ecstacy.

Strikes me as kinda funny, ecstacy tastes absolutly foul as do most drugs yet this girl happily munched 5 without spitting them out.
  • Options
    It could be a total non-story, is maybe 'E', it may not be - never believe what you read or hear and only half of what you see!

Take a look at THIS

as an example!

:D
  • Options
    Originally posted by cokephreak:
    if they were a "medication" type pill she'd OD'd on it would not have made the headlines in such a way.

Exactly, the kid could quite as easily have swallowed a whole load of paracetamols, or picked up and drunk a bottle of weedkiller. In those cases it would have probably made less of an impact in the papers, would there have been calls for the police to get tough on weed killer dealers (Homebase)... I think not.

It is our society that categorises everything good/bad, in this instance, the fact she took ecstasy has as much importance as if she had eaten paracetamol - so the point is, if she took them by accident then the media and right wing do-gooders have no business in bringing up the "drugs are evil" debate, because its in no way relevant to this death. Anyonme else see the pathetic Sun headline Weep for her, Weep for our country :rolleyes:.

At 10 year olds old why didn't she know better than to eat tablets just lying about the house, especially when they taste awful and to eat five is bizzare? ...I think there's more to this story.

What's piss ing me off though is the media's reaction to the changes to the laws on cannabis, all of a sudden they've stepped up their war on drugs. The otherday we had the Daily Mail with the front page headline of Cannabis Britain and the Daily Star yesterday said says "Rave drug ecstasy is rated as lethal as heroin and cocaine and has wiped out dozens of young British lives". Yet again the tabloid press has one clear message on the drug: Ecstasy=Death.

Grrrrrr.:mad: I hate irresponsible journalism. Especially when it negatively impacts on the health of the public.

Right, rant over. I'm off to send hate mail to tabloid journalists... maybe I'll email the "reporters" with their faces copied onto obscene beastality pictures, heh heh heh!
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    It's a strange one though isn't it? There's something in the right/ruling classes that sees pleasure without effort as somehow wrong - I guarantee more people support the idea of cannabis being prescribed for MS/arthritis/etc sufferers than do the idea of just selling it for people to getting caned on.
  • Options
    thats because you dont get something for nothing. All these things have side effects and risks. I support the use of cannabis for medical purposes more than for recreational use, because i think its far more important that people in pain get to live normal lives than it is for people who have perfectly fine lives to get out of their faces. I dont have a problem at all with people having fun with drugs sensibly and in moderation, but I dont think its as important as people using them for medicinal purposes.
  • Options
    Well of course not; you pay for the pleasure financially (and in other ways). Naturally it's more important to reduce pain, but it seems a strange thing for governments to interfere with (obviously, I'm not saying that weed should be free though). Personally, I see anti-drugs legislation as equivalent to legislating against particular sexual practices or sports which might carry health risks - surely in any kind of free society we just let people get on with that kind of behaviour?
  • Options
    Yeah but its al very well saying that 'drugs' in general may well be an insrinsic part of human nature and that every civilasation has had them since the dawn of time BUT
    If you were to legalise all drug use unfortunately you cant trust some people to use drugs carefuly
    We all know of many people for whom drugs are a way out rather than the tool they should be.
    I'm not saying that all drug use should be for some higher purpose because personaly I think that mdma and clubs are the best form of entertainment invented
    However too many drugs are abused for it to be a realistic option to legalise

I think that drugs such as mdma and some of the others synthed by Shulgin should be used more widely in a theroputic situation and controled through such channels.

I know this does sound like a 'well drugs are fine for me but not you' kind of argument but I'm sure if you go to any of the big clubs around the country you will notice that the abuse of drugs there isnt doing anyone any good.
  • Options
    Of course some people will use drugs in a manner which is harmful to themselves, but my point is that as long as the user isn't out harming other people, they should have a right to do what they please with their body. We allow people to ski, jump out of planes etc, etc, even though these activities are (relatively) high risk.

As for addiction/abuse, of course it will happen, but people abuse credit cards when addicted to shopping (a glib example I know, but the first that came to mind).

Fundamentally though, why should anyone have the right to control what someone else does with their body?
  • Options
    I aggree, I am a strongly liberal person I just think that the damage that could well be caused by more people abusing drugs wouldnt just affect them
    The problem isnt that drug users harm themselves, I dont mind that what so ever, what you do is your business.
    BUT on a really simple example who takes care of people when they over dose? The NHS, we all pay for that so they're not just harming themselves are they.
    I just dont think that our country would be able to handle unrestricted use of drugs, just look at our use of booze, if you wander down any high street at 11pm on a friday your'll see people being sick, fighting and generaly showing that they cant use that drug carefuly.
    Thats why I want to see a lot more money going into treatment programs and education, they're the way that we are going to get closer to unresticted drug use, by reducing the number to 'problem' drug users.
  • Options
    Absolutely! But the same is true of cigarettes surely? And people who injure themselves enjoying extreme sports. Surely the most sensible option is legalisation and taxation funding education and treatment programmes? Instantly you eliminate the criminal element (thus meaning that nice middle class people can buy fair trade cocaine along with their fair trade coffee rather than handing their money over to guerillas).
  • Options
    I would want to see legal drugs, the problem is that I dont think we as a country are ready for it yet, to be honest I think if they opened a few cannabis cafes you would see a little rise in use for a while as people ajusted.
    The brits just dont really have a very good record on being very careful with any of their drug use, we do have the highest in Europe.
    I think the education and the change in in culture would have to come first.
  • Options
    I know what you mean (just look at our attitude to drinking compared to the rest of Europe...). I'm not sure if the change in cultural attitudes wouldn't come out of the normalisation/legalisation of recreational drugs though...
  • Options
    The probality would be if you legalised all drug use tomorrow there would be a large upswing in use, causing all the usual problems that come with drug use now-a-days.
    However I think eventualy it would swing back and people would learn to use drug properly, its just personaly think too many people would be harmed in the mean time for the experiment to be worth while trying, even in threory.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MattBomb
    There is no proof (as off yet) that this girl took ecstacy.

Strikes me as kinda funny, ecstacy tastes absolutly foul as do most drugs yet this girl happily munched 5 without spitting them out.

She was ten years old. She's dead. I don't get what on earth can be funny about this.

Who said she 'happily munched' them? She could have been forced.
  • Options
    Originally posted by barbie

She was ten years old. She's dead. I don't get what on earth can be funny about this.

Who said she 'happily munched' them? She could have been forced.

Chill out, Matt Bomb said nothing wrong, I'm sure he meant funny as in weird (which it is), or have you never heard the word funny being used in that context?

If you read the first line than you will realise that his second was just speculation! Read a post properly before making comments like yours... and tell us what you think of what happened.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive

Chill out, Matt Bomb said nothing wrong, I'm sure he meant funny as in weird (which it is), or have you never heard the word funny being used in that context?

If you read the first line than you will realise that his second was just speculation! Read a post properly before making comments like yours... and tell us what you think of what happened.
    Handbag!!!
  • Options
    two things strike me about this as been a bit dodgy

1) I can't see that she took five on her own will, they taste foul.

2) Why is a child picking up (if she wasn't given) five 'tablets' and taking them at her age, surely she must know not to do that, I know emotions are running high, but kids should know better.
  • Options
    Originally posted by barbie

Handbag!!!

LOL:D
    Weekender Offender