Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

doctors and confidentiality

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, i recently posted a topic titled "am i just feeling sorry for myself" and anyway, i made an appointment with the doctor for tuesday :( and now im really worried about what she might say about it, because im not sure if im just making a big deal out of nothing. Anwyay, i just want to check that they will keep everything i say to them confidential...wont they? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    Yes the doctor cannot pass on information. It is completely confidential. Im glad to see you finally made an appointment (something which i still haven't had the guts to do) Good luck and let us know how things turn out.
    Luv Tek-ila.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tek-ila
    Yes the doctor cannot pass on information. It is completely confidential.
    A doctor can pass on information to the police etc if they feel that a patient is a danger to themselves or the public at large. They may also discuss cases with colleagues.

But generally, yes, they will not blab about people's problems to all and sundry :)
  • Options
    Everything that is said by a patient to a doctor is confidential...they cant tell anyone anything :)
  • Options
    Thanks all for your replies :)
  • Options
    If you come to them with depression then there would be no way that they would report you to anyone in the varst majority of cases.
    If for example you said that you were going to kill yourself then they might report your case to another professional.
    Also if you come to them saying that you are a heroin or crack user I'm preaty sure they should report you as a figure to the home office, I'm not sure though.
  • Options
    i went to the docs about a year ago and said to my mum that i wanted to go in on my own. when i got in there, the doc said she couldn't prescribe me anything because i was under 16 (only 15) and when my mum came in, the doctor started to discuss everything we had said previously. how can that be confidentiality? i now feel i cant go to talk to my doctor about anything which would be useful as i cant talk to anyone else who may understand either.:eek:
  • Options
    As long as your over 16 then everything you say to your doctor will be confidential and not passed on to your parents. Under 16 you are not classed as an adult and are still in the hands of your parents and therefore they can find out.
  • Options
    As a 15-yr-old I was pretty sure I was entitled to confidential doctors appointments?! I was under the impression that if I requested that my parents were not informed it would be kept so- the same went for a friend who went in for the morning after pill as was told that she could be put on the pill without her parents knowing she was having sex- he would prescribe it to her and she could take it at school. Was the doctor breaking rules?! I hope not- I don't think I'd want my Mum to know!! And I always go to the docs by myself :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by angelbabe
    As long as your over 16 then everything you say to your doctor will be confidential and not passed on to your parents. Under 16 you are not classed as an adult and are still in the hands of your parents and therefore they can find out.

Not so.

If you ask for confidentiality, the GP must uphold your request.

You can even consent for your own operation without your parents even knowing that you are having one.