Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

loss of strength

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
i swim 6 days a week and lift weights at least 4 days a week. last weekend, i was at a swim meet getting ready for my event and my right shoulder felt funny, like i hadnt stretched it enough. so i went through my stretching routine again. didnt bother me during my races or anything. then on monday in the weightroom, i was doing benchpress with the same weight dumbbells i always use, and my right arm completely collapsed.(nasty bruises on my sternum and ribs now) like there is no muscle there. my shoulder and arm dont hurt or anything, just a weird, uncomfortable feeling. its been a week now and my right arm is still almost useless. i still swim everyday and i havent had any problems in the water, just out of the water.

anyone experience this? or know how i can fix it?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Ehem, why not try going to a doctors. They're usually pretty good at mending peoples broken bodies.

Seems to me u prolly overdone the exercising, dunno whats happened to ur muscle but i advise u go the doctors.
  • Options
    I have had my shoulder "collapse" like you mentioned before, kind of like a partial dislocation where it slips out and pops straight back in :(

I found that it happened when doing dumbell bench press and my form was slightly out or that i relaxed the back of my shoulder too much. After it happened twice I went to the doctor and basically he said that in doing it the first time I had loosened and weakend the muscles/joint. It hasnt happened in ages as I basically built up more muscle through weight training my shoulders (carefully and gradually) to give it more support. Maybe you could try the same, making sure that you warm it up and concentrate on your form also when doing chest exercise try not to let your shoulders slump back too much but also dont hunch them forward (confused?).

As for how it happened in the first place with you, overstretching?? Slept on it funny one night??
  • Options
    Sounds like you may have damaged the muscle tissue, which would mean resting and slowly rewbuilding up after wards. I would recomend speaking to someone person to person about it, so they can ask you more questions and take a look at it. I wouldn't go to a normal doctor as they don't tend to specialiose in this area.

Did you have a any burning sensations when you first did it? Was it instant or gradual? Is there any change in shape or colour of the area? Any change in range of (unforced) movement?
  • Options
    I've gone to the trainer a few times now for my arm/shoulder. He thinks I injured it in May(there was about a week where it bothered me so badly that I couldn't use my arms at practice), and because I continued to do hard training, it didn't heal right. There weren't any burning sensations. The day before it 'collapsed' in the gym, I noticed it didn't feel right before my first race(swim). During and after my races, it didn't bother me. No change in shape, colour, etc, but I can't lift it forward or to the side very well, and it's almost impossible to lift it straight over my head. I've been doing electroshock therapy, DMS (basically a jackhammer that massages the muscle), and ultrasound a few times a week. It happened two weeks ago...I've gotten the strength back and I'm back up to my usual weights in the gym, but it's still sore sometimes.