Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Stress making me ill???

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, recently I have been extremely stressed out, for lots of reasons. I bear a lot of people's troubles on my shoulders, because I'm seen as someone who people can talk to. However, despite being like that, I find it very hard to talk about my own problems. I bottle things up inside. However, about 2 weeks ago, I began to feel really ill. It's only got bad in the last 2 weeks, I've been getting bad headaches too and pains for about a month.

The last time I felt like this, I went to the doctors, and was told I had a chest infection. If I didn't want it to come back, I had to avoid stress. Thing is, I think it may have come back because I've been so pressured lately. I honestly have no idea how to deal with it. Is my life making me ill or something? Any help appreciated :)

Comments

• Options
    Yes. I was very ill (bad stomach pains/dizziness/always feeling sick) for about 2 years before the doctors decided it was physical symptoms of depression. I went through numerous blood tests/ urine tests/ scans but nothing showed up. Obviously you get into a vicious circle because the more you are ill, the more stressed out/ depressed you get and so you get iller (word?). The best thing to do is to go to the doctors, explain how stressed you are and ask them to try and help you deal with the stress. Also, try and talk to someone (school counsellor/mum/friend) so that you feel less stressed.
    Good luck :) and take care xxxx
  • Options
    I'd go to the doctors, then take it from there.

Take care :)
  • Options
    Awwww :(

You really, really need to go and see your doctor again. It's really cool that you help people when they're in need, its a really good quality to have. But there comes a point when enough is enough, and you just cant go on like this.

I think counselling sounds like something you might want to think about too. I've been to see a counsellor in the past, and if nothing else, its a great way to get stuff off your chest, and from my experience, it really helped.

I'm only a PM away if ya ever feel ya need to talk, ok ??

Good luck :)
  • Options
    Update: I'm going to see a doctor tomorrow morning, hopefully I'll figure things out. Thanks to those who replied, and I'll let you know how the docs went :)
  • Options
    I have the exact same thing when I get stressed out.
    As you, I rarely tell people whats going on in my mind, and not getting it sorted, while having another zillion things to think about, it just leaves me in a state of chaos.

I get these horrible headaches, and just not in the mood for anything. If it goes on for long enough, I will have to stay in bed for a couple of days, just sleeping it all out.

My way of avoiding it, is just not to fill my calender up with to much stuff. Learnt to tell people no... I am always there when they need me, but I can't be 4 places in a day like I would sometimes try to be....

Hope that it all goes good at the doctors :)
  • Options
    We have an article on work-related stress which covers your problem too. Click here to read it.

Susie :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the link to the article :)

Well, went to the doctors, and apparently my prediction was correct... my chest infection has come back due to stress. :( My response was to cry that I'm too young to be stressed, and the doctor looked straight at me and told me I wasn't. I'm to take it easy for a while, learn to say no to people, and generally avoid stress inducing situations. (Hence my thoughts are turning to becoming a hermit :p )

Only thing now is I'm wondering whether to tell the doctor I've lost weight. It isn't a small loss either. I told my friends, and they are horrified, and want me to go and see the doc. I'll quote one of them, as she sums it up. So let me get this straight Tash. You're a size 6/8 and you've lost near on a stone in the space of 2/3 months. :eek:
  • Options
    Can I ask how much a stone is in kilos?
  • Options
    Erm...

1 stone = about 7 kilos. Apparently.
  • Options
    Hey Tash.
    Erm, losing weight, yeah.So, it is extremely common for people to lose weight when they are going through periods of stress. It isn't a huge problem as long as you are geting a balanced diet and seek out ways to reduce stress. Evidently, you are naturally slim, so any weight loss could contribute to making you underweight which can be just as dangerous as being overweight - hence more cause for concern from friends etc. Do you have a follow-up appt. with your doc? It may be worth mentioning. In the meantime you really have to make sure you are eating a healthy diet (it is pretty common to lose your appetite if you are 'on edge' or anxious) and finding ways to reduce your stress levels. Exercise is good and will probably make you feel better in the long run. Try not to worry too much, or you'll end up going round in circles.
    I have no idea how old you are, but I assume you'll be on holidays, which is a good excuse to kick back and have some time for yourself, watch appalling daytime tv etc. Don't be afraid to talk to someone if things are getting on top of you and make sure you take care of YOU before buggering off to console someone who has just been dumped for the eighteenth time. It might be a good idea to learn some relaxation techniques - yoga is good for teaching you the principles of deep breathing and 'inner calm' as they say. You might like to practise saying 'no' in front of a mirror, if only for a cheap laugh.

Oh, and theres nothing wrong with being a hermit!