Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Question about the Pill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm going on holiday at the end of July for 4 days, and this is when my period is due, however I reallllly don't want to have my period then. I get really self-conscious about it, will be restricted from doing stuff and am also sharing a room with another girl and 4 guys with one bathroom between us.
My mum suggested going to get the pill and taking it through those days then coming off it afterwards to have my period. I'd like to do that but does anyone know if it is too late now? Is there a certain time you have to start taking it?

Thanks - xx

Comments

• Options
    I think it may be a bit late as youre supposed to start your first pack of pills on the first day of your period. It might be worth asking your doctor if you could start a pack now as im not an expert.
  • Options
    You can take it anyday can't you? It's just better to take it on the first day of your period as then you have immediate contraceptive protection. If you don't then you have to use extra protection for a week. But as you're not using it as a contraceptive I think it's okay? I'm really not sure. Like Rainbow Brite said, ask your doctor. :)
  • Options
    theres another sort of pill you can get to stop your period- ive had it before i was ever on 'the' pill.Talk to your doc about it and i'm sure he/she will recommend this one!
  • Options
    oh yeah i forgot about that one, my friend had that as she was due her period on her wedding day, so she took these pills to postpone it till she came back from honeymoon
  • Options
    You don't have to go on the pill to delay your period, just go to your doctors and ask for Norethisterone - its part of the progesterone family; responsible for maintaining the uterus lining. I had to take it 3 times a day, and I had to start taking it 3 days before my period. Hope this helps. :)
  • Options
    Brilliant, thanks for all the replies.
    I will try and book a doctors appointment for some time this week. The Norethisterone that go_away mentionned sounds like it may be the best option, I never knew it existed! Although I was thinking about starting to go on the pill anyway so maybe I will do that.
    Thanks for all the info though, it has been really useful
    - xx
  • Options
    May i just ask,
    why do people take the pill anyway.
    is it just to stop peiods becasue some people are on it all the time, what is it doing for them. what is it prescribed for
    luv lou
  • Options
    Originally posted by louise13
    May i just ask,
    why do people take the pill anyway.
    is it just to stop peiods becasue some people are on it all the time, what is it doing for them. what is it prescribed for
    luv lou

Mainly, the pill is used as a method of contaception, taken correctly it can be very reliable.

The combined contraceptive pill has synthetic oestrogen and progesterone to prevent ovulation, make the uterus lining thinner and thickens up the mucus in the cervix.

There is also the progesterone only pill (or POP) I don't really know how it works.

The pill can also be prescibed for other things...

I was prescribed the pill because I had severe period pain and very heavy periods and it really helped out.
    A friend of mine had endometriosis and was prescibed the pill for after her operation.

Hope this helps :)
  • Options
    the pill can be used for loads of different things......i was put on the pill because I get hormone related headaches, and the pill helps to level out the hormones I guess, and make them a bit more regular and stable....it also made my periods more regular, which was nice!;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pink Soda
    I will try and book a doctors appointment for some time this week. The Norethisterone that go_away mentionned sounds like it may be the best option, I never knew it existed! Although I was thinking about starting to go on the pill anyway so maybe I will do that

ive used it last year and it gave me really bad period pains, the same also happened to my friend this year so be aware of this