Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Getting sorted

FordRangerFordRanger Posts: 1,304 Wise Owl
edited April 11 in Work & Study
Im post a lot atm but wanted some advice with stuff. I'm just trying to get into work atm but it's a bit stressful. Im not getting too much luck yet in terms of offers but I'm trying. I really want to get into paid work, I don't really like the idea of volunteering, I have previously thought about it a lot, it's not something I wanted to do I want get money, it was putting me down tbh because I do want a routine but I want an income too and I feel like unpaid work would be very demotivating. Today I have thought about it again. I think if its short term, if it will get me experience, skills, get me a job quicker etc then maybe I could look at it. Its just I don't want to be doing like months and months of volunteering because it's just going to demotivating doing hard work for that amount of time not getting paid.

I'm thinking if it will be possible to do like a few weeks like around 1 to 2 weeks like I think that's alright in both ends like its not too long where I'll get demotivated, it will still get me experience, skills and stuff. I think if that was possible I could look at it then I could look for a paid job. I think it is something I'd look at if it would help me but it's going to get demotivating doing it longer term. Tbf I've only been properly job searching for around a month so it might be likely something might come up anyway, I'm still waiting to hear back from some but I'm not relying on them. Also I have work experience from school and college which most people probably have especially school but some people might not like they might have 0. Also a few jobs I have applied for I have got rejected from haven't necessarily been due to lack of experience. Some of the jobs I applied for they have like a risk assessment questionnaire thing you answer what you would do in certain situations a couple of jobs have rejected me due to them. So maybe I just need to keep trying. I don't want to do volunteering then still be in the same position not getting anything from it or be stuck in it for ages but I have seen online it does and quite a few people are suggesting it to me so if it will help then I would maybe look at it as a short term solution as long as its not, months, years etc.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    lunarcat522lunarcat522 Posts: 426 Listening Ear
    @FordRanger I think it would be a good start as volunteering is something that would set you apart from everyone else, especially because the job market is very competitive at the moment. Unfortunately I would argue that volunteering is one of those things that I would say only really pays off if you're able to commit yourself even for a couple of months as employers aren't only looking at the experience it gives but also your ability to stick to something.

I would advise maybe 3-6 months as a minimum starting point but the good thing about volunteering is you could even just do an hour a week, and it goes by very quickly so long as you have chosen something that interests you

The benefit of volunteering is that if you have been there for long enough you could request your manager for a reference when looking for jobs

You could potentially see if any shops are happy for you to do a work experience placement as that could just be for a couple of weeks meaning it's shorter and if you like the job and they like you they might hire you and it would be more of a fast track

It's really up to you but that's my thoughts - good luck! <3
  • Options
    FordRangerFordRanger Posts: 1,304 Wise Owl
    edited April 11
    Unfortunately I would argue that volunteering is one of those things that I would say only really pays off if you're able to commit yourself even for a couple of months as employers aren't only looking at the experience it gives but also your ability to stick to something.

I would advise maybe 3-6 months as a minimum starting point but the good thing about volunteering is you could even just do an hour a week, and it goes by very quickly so long as you have chosen something that interests you
    @lunarcat522
    OK, I'll have a a think about what to do. Just a question, where do you get this information from that I need to volunteer that long?

Thanks for replying anyway.
  • Options
    lunarcat522lunarcat522 Posts: 426 Listening Ear
    I'll be honestly that length is just my suggestion because it's not common for people to intentionally only volunteer for a week or so and then leave but it's totally up to you!

Some organisations will ask for a 6 month minimum commitment though so it depends on the place