Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Friday Chat Thread | Notifications issue yesterday

GemmaGemma Community Manager Posts: 614 Incredible Poster
edited February 4 in Help Desk
Heya everyone :)

Sorry to those of you who joined the Friday chat thread last night and experienced issues with notifications not coming through at all, and then all coming through suddenly at once! This certainly isn't ideal and we know this makes it really tricky to get support and connect with others too.

We received some notifications from our tech platform last night to say that a fault was identified that was causing delays and timeouts on the site and so we believe this to have been the reason for the delay in notifications. Around 20.45, the services were catching up and so this may have been why you received all of your notifications come through around that time!

Should all be resolved now - we hope this is a one-off and won't happen again. But we'll keep an eye on it and do let us know if you continue to experience any issues. <3
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    JJLemon18JJLemon18 Community Champion Posts: 1,926 Extreme Poster
    Just wanted to say the notifications are slow all over the boards, not just in the chat last night. Even today the reply that you posted to me, I only got notified like 30 minutes later
    Believe in me - who believes in you
  • Options
    GemmaGemma Community Manager Posts: 614 Incredible Poster
    JJLemon18 wrote: »
    Just wanted to say the notifications are slow all over the boards, not just in the chat last night. Even today the reply that you posted to me, I only got notified like 30 minutes later

Since I put this post up, I actually noticed this myself too JJ. Maybe the system is still catching up with itself after the fault last night but we’ll do some investigating. :)
  • Options
    Gemma wrote: »
    JJLemon18 wrote: »

Since I put this post up, I actually noticed this myself too JJ. Maybe the system is still catching up with itself after the fault last night but we’ll do some investigating. :)

@Gemma no clue how that works haha. Maybe the system itself is just overwhelmed with my crap :lol: hope it feels better soon!
  • Options
    Chloe234Chloe234 Community Champion Posts: 2,178 Boards Champion
    I'm just getting no notifications at all aha
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,647 Legendary Poster
    It was really weird and thinking about it it was around 8.45 that things started to come back through. I haven't had any today so I can't speak for today.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,319 Part of The Furniture
    Out of interest, are you guys talking about the popup notifications or email? (or both?)

And do y'all definitely have the right notification preferences setup for your account?

@JJLemon18 @Chloe234 @independent_ @AnonymousToe
    The truth resists simplicity.
  • Options
    @JustV specifically the pop up ones, no idea about email as I didn’t have it open at the time to check. My notification settings are the same as they have been for about the past 6 years ;)

It’s hard to reproduce this issue at any other point in the week, a friday night is when most of us are online and remain so for a while. I tend to go on and offline at other times so don’t often see the pop up ones coming up as soon as they come through.

If it helps, at the time I was using my old laptop for one last time, I’ve just got a new PC now. Was using google chrome at the time, windows 10.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    edited February 4
    @JustV sorry for a second tag, but I’ve just checked the timestamp on the notification I got for your reply here. Your message was posted at 15.32. The notification didn’t come through until 15.56, nearly half an hour later.

Edited to add: the email also came through at 15.56, so it seems to be affecting emails as well. Only way I could think to test it.
  • Options
    AnonymousToeAnonymousToe Posts: 1,026 Wise Owl
    @JustV sorry for a second tag, but I’ve just checked the timestamp on the notification I got for your reply here. Your message was posted at 15.32. The notification didn’t come through until 15.56, nearly half an hour later.

My notification has the same time for it too
  • Options
    Past UserPast User Posts: 0 The Mix Regular
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    faolan wrote: »
    Had a nosey through posts today and noticed this was also flagged on the 29th Jan by @River
    I knew I saw someone mention it before!

Also it's just popup notifs for me, I didnt get an email notification for quite some time
  • Options
    Chloe234Chloe234 Community Champion Posts: 2,178 Boards Champion
    edited February 4
    JustV wrote: »
    Out of interest, are you guys talking about the popup notifications or email? (or both?)

And do y'all definitely have the right notification preferences setup for your account?

@JJLemon18 @Chloe234 @independent_ @AnonymousToe

It's fixed now for me so may have been a glitch, I was on about both bc the things on here weren't popping up and I wasn't getting emails but I got your tag fine altho still 30 mins late
  • Options
    edited February 11
    It’s hard to reproduce this issue at any other point in the week, a friday night is when most of us are online and remain so for a while. I tend to go on and offline at other times so don’t often see the pop up ones coming up as soon as they come through.
    This makes total sense.

Thanks everyone for the info and being patient for an update!

Okay, so a couple of possibilities here. It might be that the system we run on isn't as optimised as it could be. We're running on a slightly older version of the system we use, so that might be it.

However, we've also had some communications from our techies that they were doing some maintenance to address an issue involving slow notification times. That wrapped up a few days ago from what I understand, so the issue may now be fixed completely. :)
  • Options
    Particularly if this only started recently for y'all, it's most likely the second one