Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Enter to send on mobile (group chat)

independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,647 Legendary Poster
I was just reading the post about staying one chat room and it got me thinking. Anytime I’ve been in chat on mobile, pressing the return key doesn’t seem to send the message. It does on desktop but on mobile it just puts in a new line. This works on most other online sites I’ve used on my phone I can just press the return key on the keyboard on my phone to get it to send.

I can’t remember if I’ve asked about this before but I was wondering if there’s any reason for this not to be working on mobile?
“Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”

Comments

• Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,319 Part of The Furniture
    Keen to know if anyone else has found this works / doesn't work :)

Mods don't typically use the platform on mobile so it's not something we deal with ourselves, but my guess would be it's just the way the platform is built. It's not the most modern system, so it wouldn't surprise me if an 'enter to send' feature just doesn't exist for the mobile version.
    The truth resists simplicity.
  • Options
    Thing is before the update a couple of years ago it used to work. I was just curious if it was a setting but maybe not.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    Thing is before the update a couple of years ago it used to work. I was just curious if it was a setting but maybe not.
    Oh interesting - do you remember which update? (realise that might be a stretch to ask!)
  • Options
    You know that one that was accidentally sent out early, the one that brought in pinned messages etc? Think it was that one
  • Options
    JJLemon18JJLemon18 Community Champion Posts: 1,926 Extreme Poster
    I wanted to mention something completely opposite here. It actually annoys me how pressing enter on desktop sends the message. I'm a very slow and clumsy typer so I keep accidently sending messages before I'm done with them, and I hate it so much. Not sure there's a work around this tho, is there?
    Anyways, yeah. Just wanted to mention this.
    Believe in me - who believes in you
  • Options
    Rose113Rose113 Community Champion Posts: 1,122 Wise Owl
    When I press enter on my phone it sends the message in group
    ✨ Just a stupid worthless freak ready to give up ✨
  • Options
    JJLemon18 wrote: »
    I wanted to mention something completely opposite here. It actually annoys me how pressing enter on desktop sends the message. I'm a very slow and clumsy typer so I keep accidently sending messages before I'm done with them, and I hate it so much. Not sure there's a work around this tho, is there?
    No workaround for this as far as I know, but as a chaotic typer myself I relate!
    You know that one that was accidentally sent out early, the one that brought in pinned messages etc? Think it was that one
    Ah yes that rings a bell!
    River wrote: »
    Plot thickens :lol: it may be a device/OS thing - I can't see anything on our side that controls this, so it might be down to how your device interacts with the platform, which is likely to vary.

@River what device/OS combo do you use? Likewise @independent_?
  • Options
    Rose113Rose113 Community Champion Posts: 1,122 Wise Owl
    @JustV im on Android
    ✨ Just a stupid worthless freak ready to give up ✨
  • Options

Unfortunately this is quite important for accessibility reasons @JJLemon18 because the send button doesn’t show up on certain screen readers. I can see how it’s annoying for some though
  • Options
    JustV wrote: »
    No workaround for this as far as I know, but as a chaotic typer myself I relate!
    Ah yes that rings a bell!
    River wrote: »
    Plot thickens :lol: it may be a device/OS thing - I can't see anything on our side that controls this, so it might be down to how your device interacts with the platform, which is likely to vary.

@ River what device/OS combo do you use? Likewise @independent_?

I’m on iPhone, iOS17 :)
  • Options
    AnonymousToeAnonymousToe Posts: 1,026 Wise Owl
    I use iPad / iPhone and when I press enter, it just creates a new line. There’s like a little arrow or something (can’t remember, sorry) to send the message
  • Options
    JJLemon18JJLemon18 Community Champion Posts: 1,926 Extreme Poster

Unfortunately this is quite important for accessibility reasons @JJLemon18 because the send button doesn’t show up on certain screen readers. I can see how it’s annoying for some though

@independent_ Oh yea I get that. I guess I just had to vent out for all the times I sent out an unfinished mes
    Believe in me - who believes in you