Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How do you embrace being alone? 💛 (& quotes from The Mix staff)

GemmaGemma Community Manager Posts: 605 Incredible Poster
edited January 6 in Health & Wellbeing
❗️TW: Domestic violence❗️

It’s really normal to feel lonely in January, but learning to embrace our alone time can make periods of loneliness a little bit easier and feel very empowering. 💛

The Mix have put together a guide below with quotes from staff at The Mix on how they enjoy their own company!

We've heard from staff, now we want to hear from you! How do you like to spend your alone time? Let us know below 👇

I personally find it quite difficult to fully switch off in my alone time so I'm looking forward to any tips people might have 🌟

Alt text spoilered:
Embracing being alone - from The Mix staff!

"I adore being alone - there's no pressure to keep up with people! Make a playlist because no matter what the occasion is, music is always a welcomed accompaniment and fills any silence you might be anxious about. Wear comfy shoes - solo trips to nearby town or museums will require a lot of walking and you wanna feel like you're walking on a cloud." - Lauren

"When I left my abusive first husband I found solace in fresh air. I re-found my love of horses. I parked up in a car park one day, walked to a stud and offered to help. I never looks back. That's where my love of horses started. I saw the whole process of bringing foals into the world. I would encourage people to talk. I'm 53 and a survivor of domestic violence."

"I find it difficult being alone but it's something I've been working on more the last year. Saying yes to more things that push you out your comfort zone helps me, trying new hobbies on your own or with a group of people you've never met before. Also listening to podcasts - Emma Chamberlain is one of my favourites, and just knowing that you can spend your day however you like."

"I have found games that I can play alone (computer games, board games and role play games) that I find music to match. I enjoy the different experience that brings playing with friends."
- Joe

"I like spending time alone on my sofa with a good book and mug of tea. It's nice to get lost in a good book from time to time."

"I find being alone grounding and I really do need a lot of it, especially if I've done something social. But I do get bored easily. Having music on in the background helps me to appreciate my alone time more - whether I'm gardening, painting, writing... having music on in the background stops being alone from feeling oppressive and turns it into a lovely bubble of rejuvenating calm."

"I cherish alone time and have learned to love my own company. One of my favourite things to do is to take a book or journal to a cafe, order a hot chocolate and spend a couple of hours processing my thoughts or reading. I also love listening to audiobooks with my headphones on because it creates a cosy little bubble of alone time wherever you are."
- Holly

"I do love and need alone time each week. I feel it's especially important when you live with people to take time for yourself, to recover and rest. For me, it's painting with noise cancelling headphones, listening to music, podcasts or youtube. I enjoy painting because it's a rewarding way to spend my alone time, whether the painting is for myself or someone else, I can feel like I've achieved something."

"I'm very independent and relatively introverted. I've travelled around countries and attending festivals on my own and loved it. I love having the freedom of choice to make friends with people if I want to or go about my day without anyone, only doing activities that I want to. I also journal regularly, I think the best parts of it can be taking that time to really get to know and like yourself."

h485aeph8cmu.jpg

y6dskdbzdw0c.jpg

17dpd4c0p9ys.jpg

syo8g13918iz.jpg

1dwf37acykfg.jpg

vgq4alvee6ll.jpg

og1cc075p7dx.jpg

gkwbwx4wng0i.jpg

e3oytwzpeiyn.jpg

7kr793opac83.jpg

You can also view the post over on our Instagram page - https://www.instagram.com/themixuk
Post edited by Gemma on

Comments

• Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,017 Community Veteran
    I saw this on Instagram today actually and I do find spending time alone can help me reset my energy levels and helps me when I feel like there is too much noise or people around. I normally chuck a few songs on sometimes as I enjoy listening to music a lot in my spare time. Also sometimes I rarely do this now but I read. I find it easier being on my own reading as I can properly focus on the book. Also, sometimes I will crochet or knit.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    @sinead276 @Amy22 - thanks so much for sharing your thoughts <3
    sinead276 wrote: »
    Love this

I've gotta agree with some of the staff - sticking on a good playlist or (if i have the time) reading a good book is my IDEAL way to be alone. I think being quite introverted has helped as I probably love being alone and having me time. Just doing things I enjoy for my self really helps :3

It sounds like we have a theme of reading & listening to music! @sinead276 are you reading anything at the moment? :)
    Amy22 wrote: »
    I saw this on Instagram today actually and I do find spending time alone can help me reset my energy levels and helps me when I feel like there is too much noise or people around. I normally chuck a few songs on sometimes as I enjoy listening to music a lot in my spare time. Also sometimes I rarely do this now but I read. I find it easier being on my own reading as I can properly focus on the book. Also, sometimes I will crochet or knit.

@Amy22 oo that's really cool that you crochet or knit! Have you made anything recently? :)
  • Options
    knej23knej23 Posts: 33 Boards Initiate
    I also do value alone time, I feel like it’s a reset and gives me a chance to do what I enjoy!
  • Options
    sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,062 Wise Owl
    @gemma I did start reading a book a few months back called things we hide from the light by lucy score (its the second book in a series) - although uni has massively put that on the back burner so most my reading currently is journal articles for assignments. But I am hoping to get back into it as soon as I can coz for me nothing beats getting engrossed in a good book
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,017 Community Veteran
    Gemma wrote: »
    Love this

I've gotta agree with some of the staff - sticking on a good playlist or (if i have the time) reading a good book is my IDEAL way to be alone. I think being quite introverted has helped as I probably love being alone and having me time. Just doing things I enjoy for my self really helps :3

It sounds like we have a theme of reading & listening to music! @sinead276 are you reading anything at the moment? :)

@Amy22 oo that's really cool that you crochet or knit! Have you made anything recently? :)

Oo well I am supposed to finishing a granny square blanket I started I think a year ago now, I cant remember aha :lol:. I haven't been up to much because I am going back to work soon and also I am in a bit of a creative rut at the moment and cant seem to get any ideas.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    @gemma I did start reading a book a few months back called things we hide from the light by lucy score (its the second book in a series) - although uni has massively put that on the back burner so most my reading currently is journal articles for assignments. But I am hoping to get back into it as soon as I can coz for me nothing beats getting engrossed in a good book

Oh @sinead276 I've heard good things about this book! I can resonate with you on that, I kind of had to give up reading when I was at uni with so much going on.
    Gemma wrote: »
    Love this

Oo well I am supposed to finishing a granny square blanket I started I think a year ago now, I cant remember aha :lol:. I haven't been up to much because I am going back to work soon and also I am in a bit of a creative rut at the moment and cant seem to get any ideas.

That's amazing that you are finishing a blanket! I wouldn't even know where to start :D Have you had a look at Pinterest? I always seem to find ideas on there for creative things to make. You might find something like this helpful :)