Home Gender & Sexuality
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Beyond Devastated

Found out today the bill allowing teachers to misgender/deadname students if they wish and the mandatory outing of closeted trans kids, not allowing trans kids to go into the right toilets etc, has been passed and it's so upsetting. Fortunately, I am in university now and am 21, but my heart breaks for all of the trans kids that are going to be affected by this. I'm just so full of rage and upset, I want to do something about it but I feel so useless.

I hope you all, especially trans peeps right now, are taking care of yourselves during this time. :(

- E

Comments

• Options
    AnonymousToeAnonymousToe Posts: 1,018 Wise Owl
    this is horrifying, what is happening to the country?!
  • Options
    lunarcat522lunarcat522 Posts: 425 Listening Ear
    @IdiosyncraticTrash I completely agree it's absolutely devastating, I sympathise with everyone that will struggle as a result of this. I hope everyone does some self care as this is really difficult news to come to terms with. <3
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,631 Legendary Poster
    Sometimes I think our country is going backwards. I wonder if it applies to Scotland where I live. I hope not.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,316 Part of The Furniture
    Caught this on the radio yesterday. So horrific.

It gives me some hope that the current school generation and younger is getting more and more understanding and accepting of trans people, and they're also more likely than anyone in previous generations to know a trans person, so maybe the tide is still moving in the right direction.
    The truth resists simplicity.
  • Options
    lunarcat522lunarcat522 Posts: 425 Listening Ear
    @independent_ I also live in Scotland. I don't think it applies here as education is a devolved power, but I'm not saying this for certain since the UK government overrode one of the Scottish Government bills that passed recently, think it was the Gender Recognition Reform Bill.
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,011 Community Veteran
    I've seen this recently and I think this is something that might be happening in Wales too (I'm Welsh) and I think it's horrific that the government are allowing teachers to deadname students. I can't imagine something more horrific for the trans community at the moment. Like don't people understand that deadnaming/misgendering can be super harmful to folk and cause so much upset for them. I just feel like Britain needs to be more open minded with the lgbtqia+ community because it's getting out of hand now and like why can't people just accept the trans community for who they are <3. Im also upset about this too as well.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    yanayana Community Champion Posts: 1,277 Wise Owl
    wtaf is wrong with this country they're so fucking selfish
    my brain is not braining the way brains are meant to brain
  • Options
    BlueberryMuffinBlueberryMuffin Posts: 19 Settling in
    yeah its really upsetting, when i thought the laws and stuff were making progress now its taking a huge step backwards