Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Shared bank account between carer and caree

jadavijadavi Posts: 1 Just got here
I'm making this on behalf of my partner as he's stuck in quite a rutt with his situation.
He is 24 years old now and has been a carer for his mum since he was a teenager, so hasn't really known anything outside of caring for her.
The money that her disability allowance goes into is seperate, but they both have access to the account the carers allowance goes in. In short, his mother spends the carers allowance very quickly on expensive things before using her own allowance, so he has been massively struggling and hasnt been able to put anything to savings. We plan to move away as his mother is also quite abusive, but in this situation he would need to entirely rely on my retail job income for his half, so it just isnt possible.
Is this a legit thing in carer and disability? What can be done to help him with this and if it isnt legal how do we tackle this when he lives with who he cares for?

Comments

• Options
    ItaliaItalia Posts: 220 Trailblazer
    Hey Jadavi,

Welcome to The Mix, we're glad you found us :3

Ah, this sounds like a tricky situation, you've done the right thing reaching out and finding out more about this. I know navigating allowances and carer payments can be complicated.

It might help to chat with some other young or young adult carers to see if they've had a similar situation or have any specific advice they've found helpful.

We have a Young Carers group chat on Monday evenings from 8-9.30 pm. This is a moderated live space where you can chat (text-based in a chatroom) with other young carers and young adult carers.

You can find the link to join here: https://www.themix.org.uk/get-support/group-chat. The link will go live when the room opens at 8 pm.

In the meantime, Carers Trust is a great organisation that supports carers of all ages, and they have some good information on their website you could check out https://carers.org/help-and-info/introduction.

I hope this helps, and that you find the answers you're looking for. Keep reaching out and talking - this sounds like a difficult situation with your partner's mum on a few different levels.

Italia :)

“People who wade into discomfort and vulnerability and tell the truth about their stories are the real badasses.”
    -
    Brene Brown