Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Going to Bangladesh and I have tics

spoonspoon Posts: 375 Listening Ear
I’m really stressed out. Bengalis are not understanding when it comes to tics. I’m staying there for a month because it may be the last time I see my grandmother and my mum noticed a tic and said that I can control it and how she doesn’t want her sisters to ask and judge me about my tics. I hate myself for them and I wish I didn’t have them. It honestly makes me wanna hurt myself but I’m nearly a month clean. I won’t pretend that I have no control over them, but it’s definitely a lack of control. I just want to stop and I feel like I could and yet I don’t and I don’t know why.
Whats a signatureeeww

Comments

• Options
    AnonymousToeAnonymousToe Posts: 1,021 Wise Owl
    @spoon its not your fault!! Please don’t blame yourself for your tics. And something that helped me to stop hurting myself - you’re hurting enough anyway, you don’t need to add to that load. I don’t know why your mum’s told you that you can control your tics? From what you’ve said it sounds very much like you can’t. I know maybe you have doubts and I can relate to that from totally different experiences but if you’re this distressed about it then I very much doubt that it’s something you have control over. Perhaps your mum just isn’t able to come to terms with it? I’m not sure. If your family judge you for your tics then that’s on them really. You could try to explain it to them and how it’s involuntary but if they’re not willing to listen then all you can do is ignore the judgemental comments you might get. But please don’t take them personally - if anything it’s just showing their unwillingness to listen and accept people as they are. I don’t know anything specific about tics so I’m sorry if this comment is a load of rubbish. I just really don’t want you to blame yourself for something you can’t help!
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 375 Listening Ear
    Thanks @AnonymousToe it’s just hard because I do tic less in certain situations and there is some control over it. I tic a lot less around my family though they have been coming out a bit more. The tics around them is no where near as bad as it can get. But suppressing is tiring and it makes me feel fake. And I go through long periods where I hardly tic at all and times where it can be non-stop. I feel like I’m attention seeking somehow
    Whats a signatureeeww
  • Options
    AnonymousToeAnonymousToe Posts: 1,021 Wise Owl
    spoon wrote: »
    Thanks @AnonymousToe it’s just hard because I do tic less in certain situations and there is some control over it. I tic a lot less around my family though they have been coming out a bit more. The tics around them is no where near as bad as it can get. But suppressing is tiring and it makes me feel fake. And I go through long periods where I hardly tic at all and times where it can be non-stop. I feel like I’m attention seeking somehow

I’m pretty sure tics are triggered by certain things, so that might explain why some situations are worse than others.