Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Help pls

Hi everyone,
I need help because I'm two days late on my period and I'm unsure what to do. I haven't seen my boyfriend in over a month anyway because we live in seperate countries anyway because were in a long distance relationship but I had my period last month and a negative pregnancy test but I'm still unsure whether I could be pregnant or if it could just be irregular periods because my periods have been irregular previously.
I don't know what precautions to take to make sure I'm not pregnant or help if I was pregnant, can someone please give me some advice?
Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    nicetomeetunicetomeetu Posts: 4 Newbie
    hi Madelyn, I can't because my parents would find out and they don't know I'm sexually active so I don't think it would end well sadly...

• Options
    im 15 but my parents have my location so idk how id get to a doctors without them seeing if u know what I mean
  • Options
    Yeah thank you! I don't even know if I am pregnant or not, I don't think it may even be possible but I'm just stressing myself out more because that's probs why my period is late
  • Options
    GemmaGemma Community Manager Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
    Welcome to the community @nicetomeetu, it's lovely to have you here :) You've done so well to share this with us on the boards. It's completely understandable to feel unsure what to do.

I know you mentioned that you don't want to speak to your parents about things. It must be a lot to think about at the moment on your own, do you have anyone around you to support you right now (e.g. friends or family)?

You've mentioned that you're unsure whether you're pregnant as although your period is late, you've had irregular periods in the past and you have taken a pregnancy test that has come back negative. It sounds like you're doing all the right things in looking out for yourself. <3

Brook is a charity that provides free sexual health and wellbeing advice to young people and you might like to check out some of their advice on their website. For example, this article discusses what to do if you think you might be pregnant: https://www.brook.org.uk/your-life/am-i-pregnant/

They say in this article that:
    Pregnancy tests usually involve weeing on a small plastic stick, or sometimes, weeing into a cup and dipping in a test stick. The test is looking for the hormone human chorionic gonadotrophin (HCG) which is present in the wee of someone who is pregnant. It takes a while for this hormone to build up in the body so there is no point doing a pregnancy test straight after unprotected sex. If you’re worried about the risk of pregnancy at this point, it’s advisable to use emergency contraception. This will work up to five days after unprotected sex.

To get an accurate result it’s best to test three weeks (or 21 days) after unprotected sex or straight after your period should have been due (whichever is sooner), if you test before this time there may not be enough of the pregnancy hormone to show up in your urine.

In terms of your negative test result, Brook advises this:
    A negative result means you probably aren’t pregnant but it could also be that the hormone is not yet detectable. If the test is negative, but your period doesn’t happen when you expect it to, it’s recommended that you take another pregnancy test, and this is usually done a week after the first test.

You may also find it useful to visit a clinic to speak to a doctor or nurse about the test result, or if you are worried. This might also be a good time to talk to someone about contraception, if you weren’t trying to get pregnant.

I'm hearing that it feels too difficult to go to see your GP in person as your parents would see your location. How would you feel about contacting your GP to ask for a telephone appointment to discuss your situation with them? I'm hearing how although you've received a negative result, you're still not feeling comfy with things since you haven't got your period yet. They might be able to talk through this with you and reassure you, aswell as talk through some causes of irregular periods, such as those listed on the NHS website Madleyn linked above. The Mix does have more info on missed periods here.

There is also an organisation called called Marie Stopes which runs a helpline offering information and advice on pregnancy and abortion, contraception, vasectomy and sexually transmitted infections. They also offer relationship and self-esteem counselling for women. They are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can call them on 0345 300 8090 or email them at services@mariestopes.org.uk or visit their website for more information at http://www.mariestopes.org.uk/

We are all here for you, do let us know how you are getting on and if you want to talk anything through with us :3