Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The IRA - really sorry?

SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
Last night the IRA decided to appologise for more than 30 years of bloodshed. In 30 years of violence and over 1800 deaths the IRA have never apologised before, at most they have expressed regret at civilian and non-combatant casualties. Last night however, they released a statement appologising for 650 civilian deaths and they even acknowledged the pain and grief of the families of the soldiers, police and paramilitaries.

The statement was released in time for the 21st July, which will be the 30th anniversary of one of the worst days in NI history - Bloody Friday. Nine died and over 130 were injured when 27 bombs were planted and set off in Belfast. The statement read:
While it was not our intention to injure or kill non-combatants, the reality is that on this and numerous other occasions, that was the consequence of our actions.
It is therefore, appropriate that on the anniversary of this tragic event, that we address all of the deaths and injuries of non-combatants caused by us.
We offer sencere apologies and condolences to their families.
There have been fatalities amongst combatants on all sides. We also ackonowledge the grief and pain of their relatives.

:rolleyes:

If I had lost a member of my family to one of the actions of these evil people I would feel insulted. They claim that they 'never intended to injure or kill non-combatants', I'm sorry but how can that ever be believed, over half the people they've killed in the last 30 years have been civilians, they are either full of crap or just stupid. And isn't this apology a little to late, after 30 years of never once saying sorry they come out with this statement, why? ...there IS a reason for it and it seems it's not true remorse.

On the 24th Blair is Due to meet Irish Taoiseach Bertie Ahern to review the quality of the IRA and Loyalist ceasefires. In Belfast apparently it is quite common knowledge that violence on the streets is still common, both the IRA and Loyalists it seems, are still heavily involved in beatings and criminal activity. This apology was released not because the IRA is truly sorry, but for political benifit, to carry on winning concessions for the IRA such as amnesty for those suspects still on the run.

Still anything positive is a rare thing where NI is concerned, so maybe we should welcome this, maybe one day we will have peace? I would like to hear what Diesel has to say on this - surely the IRA saying sorry is admitting they were wrong?
Weekender Offender 

Comments