Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Anxiety and panic attacks

Iris_MizzyIris_Mizzy Posts: 84 Budding Regular
I was at skl today, I was in science and i had to write on my board I cant breath, my teacher saw it and I took a breather outside my classroom and all that was going through my head is about the worst panic attack I had, when i fainted and every time I thought about that and tried to block It out I start to panic more.
I cant and dont want to go through that anymore Is there any thing I could do to stop it? I've tried breathing in and out the square thing writing. Hope everyone is well and if your going through similar I'm sorry.

Comments

• Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,632 Legendary Poster
    @Iris_Mizzy so sorry to hear you’re having this anxiety. It’s a horrible thing to go through been there myself.

I’m wondering if you’ve spoke to anyone, like your family, a GP etc? It’s so hard to talk about I know but sometimes it helps just to get these things off your chest.

Hugs <3
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    I spoke to a lot of people, I spoke to a doctor, my carers. No hope my carers just didnt seem to understand.
  • Options
    yanayana Community Champion Posts: 1,277 Wise Owl
    Hey @Iris_Mizzy sorry to hear you're struggling with this, I know how it feels. How are you feeling now? Hopefully better than earlier. If not, sending hugs! <3

You said you spoke to the doctors though, what did they say?
    my brain is not braining the way brains are meant to brain
  • Options
    they was going to refer me to cahms, and it will be something I will manage to handle.
  • Options
    yanayana Community Champion Posts: 1,277 Wise Owl
    Hopefully camhs can support you lots @Iris_Mizzy :)
    my brain is not braining the way brains are meant to brain
  • Options
    Terry8936Terry8936 Posts: 271 The Mix Regular
    Hi @Iris_Mizzy . It sounds like a scary experience. I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing panic attacks. From our psychology course, I learn that there are some things that you can try to help manage your symptoms during a panic attack:
    1. Focus on your breathing: Slow, deep breaths can help you to feel more grounded and can reduce symptoms of panic.
    2. Grounding techniques: Try to engage your senses by looking at your surroundings, feeling the texture of your clothes or the ground beneath you, and listening to the sounds around you.
    3. Progressive muscle relaxation: Tense and then relax each muscle group in your body, starting at your feet and working your way up to your head.
    4. Mindfulness meditation: Focus on the present moment and try to observe your thoughts without judgment.
    5. Seek support: Talk to a trusted friend or family member about how you're feeling, or consider speaking with a mental health professional who can provide additional support and guidance.

If you're feeling overwhelmed or unsure of where to turn, you can reach out to a mental health professional or GP for assistance. Hope the information helps!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    emiip98emiip98 Moderator Posts: 132 The Mix Convert
    Hi @Iris_Mizzy that does sound rather overwhelming, its not nice having panic attacks.
    Tips I have learned from personal experience:

- Focus on your breathing- deep breath in, hold it for a few seconds, let it out slowly, hold again (repeat)
    - Listening to some music or a podcast
    - Count your fingers- the touch sensation helps and the counting distracts your mind from the panic

I find these good for when i'm out and about and it happens but I would also really recommend doing some yoga when you're home, it teaches breathing techniques and mindfulness I would recommend yoga with adrienne on youtube

Hope some of these work for you but if you do need some exta help you can always chat to us or you can seek help from a medical professional such as your GP/ local mental health services :)

Hope you start to feel better soon, sending hugs <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.