Home Community Announcements
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Join our new Support Circle on Thursdays - for survivors of sexual violence

TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,042 Boards Guru
edited March 2023 in Community Announcements
We know that some young people who have experienced sexual violence find it hard to access face-to-face services and most have never met another person with the same experiences as them.

This is why we are partnering with The Green House, an organisation that support survivors of childhood sexual abuse. We are launching a new Support Circle for young people aged 13+ who have experienced any kind of sexual violence, every Thursday from 8pm - 9.30pm.

Come along to speak to a small group of young people with shared experiences and find support from a community that understands.

What is Support Circle?
Support Circle is a group chat of around 5 people, where everyone takes it in turn to get support while the rest of the group listens.

The room is password-protected and facilitated by a moderator. Everyone arrives at the start and stays for the whole session to make sure everyone in the group is supported equally.

Whether you’re looking for support or just somewhere to hang out, Support Circle is a safe, welcoming, non-judgmental space.

In Support Circle, you can sign up to get support or be a listener for others.

When is it?
Our new Support Circle starts on Thursday 30th March, and will take place every Thursday from 8pm - 9:30pm.

What should I expect when I join?
Support Circle is broken up into four segments:

8:00 - 8:10pm | Arrivals and opening round question
8:10 - 8:15pm | Creating a group agreement
8:15 - 9:15pm | Support hour (split equally between everyone)
9:15 - 9:30pm | Closing round question

What can I talk about?
You can talk about anything you like, it’s okay to talk about the abuse or not, there’s no pressure. If your case is under investigation currently by the police, we ask that you don’t share details of the incident that’s being investigated and in these circumstances anything that identifies you. Take a look at the Community Guidelines on Safety and Confidentiality which can help you to understand how to share your experiences in the group.

Do I have to support others?
We ask that everybody tries their best to contribute during others’ time to share. The idea is that we all chip in to help each other. This also means the moderator can focus more on running the session and keeping time for everyone.

If you're not sure what to say, just making it clear you're listening can make a big difference.

What if I can't stay for the whole session?
Think of Support Circle a bit like a face-to-face support group - it can come across as disrespectful to others if you leave in the middle, so try your best to stay for the whole chat. If you don't feel well or you're finding something triggering, it's okay to leave, just let the group know if you're coming back.

What order do people go in?
The order is randomised and communicated to you before the session begins.

How do I sign up?
To sign up for a place, complete our registration form for the new Thursday Support Circle sessions. A few hours after you sign up, you'll be sent an email telling you how to confirm your space. If you don't confirm your space it will go to someone else, so make sure you do that as soon as you can.

For those of you who have attended a Support Circle session on a Tuesday, this is a separate form just for the Thursday sessions.
We're @Aife, @Ella, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 5pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Great question @Morgan007. We will still be keeping the Tuesday Support Circle sessions too. This is a new one in addition to Tuesdays that will be supporting young people who've experienced sexual abuse.

Any other questions, let us know :)
    Aife & the team

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 5pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,319 Part of The Furniture
    Pretty much @Morgan007. The Support Circle is open to people who have experienced any kind of sexual violence, so if that resonates with you you're more than welcome to come along. :)
    The truth resists simplicity.
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,319 Part of The Furniture
    I've also just edited the main post to make it clear that the session is for people who have experienced any kind of sexual violence - that probably wasn't clear before!
    The truth resists simplicity.
  • Options
    DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,815 Master Poster
    @TheMix Because this isn't starting until 30th March, when is the sign-up form going to start opening?
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • Options
    Past UserPast User Definition of a mental mess and a certified lost cause :) EnglandPosts: 0 Just got here
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    @Dancer @LorryTruck great questions, you are welcome to sign up now. We've created a new form specifically for these Thursday Support Circles. To sign up, complete our registration form.

Any questions, do let us know :)
    Aife & the team

• Options
    M3GANx04M3GANx04 Posts: 61 Boards Initiate
    This is a really lovely idea! I think it's great to have a designated support session for sexual violence as it can be quite heavy and possibly triggering for others. Having a specific space allows for a sense of trust and openness - you know what you're going to be talking about.
  • Options
    Past UserPast User Definition of a mental mess and a certified lost cause :) EnglandPosts: 0 Just got here
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for signing up! We dropped you all an email yesterday about the session to confirm your places. Any questions, do let us know :)

- Aife & the team