Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

International Women's Day

Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,023 Community Veteran
Hi all hope your having a lovely Friday. I know that International Women's Day will be coming up soon and I thought it would be nice to have a thread to talk about women and what it feels like to be a women. I also got some very interesting history stuff to share on here too I don't know if it personally something related to International Women's Day. But I found out from an online article that during WWII, a lot of women and specifically women spies as well as many people as this doesn't just refer to women. But because during the war information being shared was risky and could be dangerous being shared. People were encouraged to knit morse code into hats, blankets, socks e.t.c. . These would then be donated or gifted to soldiers or other spies who would then be able to decode the morse code and hidden messages which could help them a lot. I just thought this article was on knitting was very helpful and it shows how awesome women were during those times and how they helped us to win the war too.
Just a person who likes pop culture and films

Comments

• Options
    JJLemon18JJLemon18 Community Champion Posts: 1,926 Extreme Poster
    Hi Amy, this is really nice idea. I'm not really a woman so I don't have anything to say here.
    Amy22 wrote: »
    People were encouraged to knit morse code into hats, blankets, socks e.t.c. . These would then be donated or gifted to soldiers or other spies who would then be able to decode the morse code and hidden messages which could help them a lot.

This however I find super cool! I never heard of this before but it sounds fascinating. I'm just curious how they get the soldiers to figure out there is morse code somewhere in their clothes...
    Believe in me - who believes in you
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,023 Community Veteran
    JJLemon18 wrote: »
    Hi Amy, this is really nice idea. I'm not really a woman so I don't have anything to say here.
    People were encouraged to knit morse code into hats, blankets, socks e.t.c. . These would then be donated or gifted to soldiers or other spies who would then be able to decode the morse code and hidden messages which could help them a lot.

This however I find super cool! I never heard of this before but it sounds fascinating. I'm just curious how they get the soldiers to figure out there is morse code somewhere in their clothes...

Aw thank you I'm pleased you find it interesting. I always wondered how they were able to read the morse code without making it obvious they were doing it. I think they had a sheet, I remember one of the articles mentioned that there was a grandma who would disguise it by having her grand children pretend to do homework when they were writing morse code which I find very interesting.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    Emma_Emma_ Community Manager Posts: 601 Incredible Poster
    But I found out from an online article that during WWII, a lot of women and specifically women spies as well as many people as this doesn't just refer to women. But because during the war information being shared was risky and could be dangerous being shared. People were encouraged to knit morse code into hats, blankets, socks e.t.c. . These would then be donated or gifted to soldiers or other spies who would then be able to decode the morse code and hidden messages which could help them a lot. I just thought this article was on knitting was very helpful and it shows how awesome women were during those times and how they helped us to win the war too.

This is sooo cool! Thankyou for sharing @Amy22 I never knew this! Women showing how smart they are in the most creative ways.

I think there is often a lot of negative things about being a woman and the dangers or challenges we face which can make it hard to remember how amazing being a woman is!

In more recent years I've really loved how we've worked on what it means to be a woman and removed some of those old and unhelpful stereotypes. Women are awesome!
    giphy.gif

• Options
    M3GANx04M3GANx04 Posts: 61 Boards Initiate
    In regards to international women's day I'd like to highlight women contributions throughout history which have been overlooked.
    Being someone who is very passionate about and studies psychology, my main focus is women's presence in psychological/scientific research.

Most psychological research is conducted by, and looks at, heterosexual white men. What does this mean? -

1. Scientific findings are being inaccurately generalised to women. Studies which are conducted on only men are being applied to everyone across gender and culture.

2. Women's scientific contributions are often overlooked. For example, Watson's famous Little Albert Study. Watson may have discovered conditioned phobias, however it was a woman who followed up the study and founded systematic desensitisation (the cure) which is often mistakenly attributed to Watson.

3. Research is done to justify sexist prejudices. For example, male evolutionists have argued for centuries that men are naturally polygamous and should have multiple sexual partners to maximise offspring, whereas women should be more sexually reserved and ensure the quality of their partners to preserve their few offspring. However, not many know about the feminist psychologist who found that this is far from true! There are no gender differences in natural sexual desire/'promiscuity', but women are generally more reserved due to their fear of men... not evolution!
  • Options
    JJLemon18JJLemon18 Community Champion Posts: 1,926 Extreme Poster
    Whether you're a woman or not I want to wish everyone a happy international women's day!
    Remember you are all valuable and you matter! Sending hugs :heart:
    Believe in me - who believes in you