Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

TW (Female Masturbation) Im confused

Amy22Amy22 Posts: 3,998 Community Veteran
Uh hi, this is going to be a very weird post and I don't want to trigger anyone on this topic. I'm feeling a little bit confused as I think I do this but I'm not sure. Can women even masturbate?. It is weird to do it?. Sorry for the weird post on this, any advice would be appreciated :)
Just a person who likes pop culture and films

Comments

• Options
    I just looked at one of the articles on this here and Idk if this is normal :/
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,630 Legendary Poster
    Coming from a fellow female, I totally understand why you’re confused. Female masturbation isn’t as widely talked about as it is for males, we all know the lads do it but hardly anyone talks about us lasses enjoying it too.

Women can masturbate, it’s about finding what you enjoy whether that’s using your fingers or a toy. There’s nothing wrong with either.

Don’t be embarrassed, most of us have asked ourselves the same question. But I (and I’m sure others too) are around if you do have any questions or anything
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    Coming from a fellow female, I totally understand why you’re confused. Female masturbation isn’t as widely talked about as it is for males, we all know the lads do it but hardly anyone talks about us lasses enjoying it too.

Women can masturbate, it’s about finding what you enjoy whether that’s using your fingers or a toy. There’s nothing wrong with either.

Don’t be embarrassed, most of us have asked ourselves the same question. But I (and I’m sure others too) are around if you do have any questions or anything

Thank you so much @independent_ its that I feel its not really talked about a lot especially as it is more commonly associated with males. I always felt odd about it really but you make me feel better a bit about it
  • Options
    RenPRenP Posts: 203 Trailblazer
    @Amy22

Thank you for sharing this with us - it's not a weird post at all!

I think that female masturbation is generally more of a taboo subject than male masturbation, a lot less now, but just how a woman who vocally enjoys sex or has physical intimacy with lots of people is seen as a 'slut', a woman who masturbates and takes control of her own sexual pleasure, can be threatening to a man. Of course, times are changing, but a young pubescent man masturbating is deemed to be a lot more 'normal' than a woman, because it's spoken about more often.

Masturbating has a lot of health benefits, physically and mentally. It can relieve stress, help aid sleep, boost your mood, strengthen your pelvic floor, cervical health, increased self-awareness and many more. As mentioned above, to get to know your likes and dislikes and what you are comfortable with, be it with your fingers or using a toy. Just the act of exploring your body is so important to get more in touch with yourself.

There is a really good book called The Vagina Bible by Dr Jen Gunter who is or was a gynecologist. It touches briefly on masturbation but it's all things related to the vagina, from correct terminology on where things are, STI's, menopause, childbirth, menstrual products, vaginal maintenance, contraception, conditions such as UTI's and yeast infections, symptoms whilst having sex etc. It is a very knowledgeable book and one that men should also read to gain more of an understanding.

Female masturbation isn't weird or shameful, it is empowering :)
  • Options
    M3GANx04M3GANx04 Posts: 61 Boards Initiate
    Amy22 wrote: »
    Uh hi, this is going to be a very weird post and I don't want to trigger anyone on this topic. I'm feeling a little bit confused as I think I do this but I'm not sure. Can women even masturbate?. It is weird to do it?. Sorry for the weird post on this, any advice would be appreciated :)

Hi @Amy22 ! Thank you for our post. It isn't weird at all, and it's so important that we remove the stigma/taboo surrounding female masturbation.
    @Morgan007 I'm also going to tag you in this post to hopefully elain the basics. Educating women about their own bodies is so important.

Masturbation means touching your own genitals for pleasure. In terms of women, this can mainly be done in 2 ways; clitoral and penetrative.

Clitoral masturbation is getting pleasure from touching your clitoris. This is located on the outside of your vagina and most people find this most pleasurable as it has many nerve ending, which makes it very sensitive.
    Penetrative masturbation on the other hand is getting pleasure from penetrating your vagina. Inside your vagina (the hole) is something called the G-Spot, which is sensitive and feels good when touched. People often stimulate this area by 'fingering' themselves - putting their finger in and out, which creates friction and feels good.

People don't only use their fingers. There are also loads of sex toys which can be used for both types of female masturbation. This can include a vibrator for clitoral masturbation, which feels better due to the stronger sensations, or a dildo for penetrative masturbation, which feels better as it's bigger than your fingers. There is no shame in using toys, but be aware that you have to be 18+ to buy them.

Tips:
    When masturbating remember to stay hygienic. Always wash your hands before and after to prevent any bacteria causing infection to your vagina.
    Get to know your body. It's so important that you explore your own body and know what does or doesn't feel good. Everyone's different and has preferences.
    Don't be ashamed. Female masturbation is much less spoken about than male masturbation. It's completely natural and nothing to be embarrassed about doing or talking about.
    Don't feel pressured. If you're not comfortable exploring your sexuality just yet, then don't feel pressured to do so. Take your time and stay relaxed. It's your body and your choice.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask <3
  • Options
    M3GANx04 wrote: »
    Amy22 wrote: »

Hi @Amy22 ! Thank you for our post. It isn't weird at all, and it's so important that we remove the stigma/taboo surrounding female masturbation.
    @Morgan007 I'm also going to tag you in this post to hopefully elain the basics. Educating women about their own bodies is so important.

Masturbation means touching your own genitals for pleasure. In terms of women, this can mainly be done in 2 ways; clitoral and penetrative.

Clitoral masturbation is getting pleasure from touching your clitoris. This is located on the outside of your vagina and most people find this most pleasurable as it has many nerve ending, which makes it very sensitive.
    Penetrative masturbation on the other hand is getting pleasure from penetrating your vagina. Inside your vagina (the hole) is something called the G-Spot, which is sensitive and feels good when touched. People often stimulate this area by 'fingering' themselves - putting their finger in and out, which creates friction and feels good.

People don't only use their fingers. There are also loads of sex toys which can be used for both types of female masturbation. This can include a vibrator for clitoral masturbation, which feels better due to the stronger sensations, or a dildo for penetrative masturbation, which feels better as it's bigger than your fingers. There is no shame in using toys, but be aware that you have to be 18+ to buy them.

Tips:
    When masturbating remember to stay hygienic. Always wash your hands before and after to prevent any bacteria causing infection to your vagina.
    Get to know your body. It's so important that you explore your own body and know what does or doesn't feel good. Everyone's different and has preferences.
    Don't be ashamed. Female masturbation is much less spoken about than male masturbation. It's completely natural and nothing to be embarrassed about doing or talking about.
    Don't feel pressured. If you're not comfortable exploring your sexuality just yet, then don't feel pressured to do so. Take your time and stay relaxed. It's your body and your choice.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask <3

Thank you so much @M3GANx04 and @RenP this is very helpful actually as I know that it isnt often spoken a lot from the female perspective more of the male. Its something Ive never really spoken about to be honest. But I feel more comfortable knowing that anyone can do it and it is natural.
  • Options
    M3GANx04M3GANx04 Posts: 61 Boards Initiate
    @Morgan007
    Female masturbation isn't spoken about as much for some reason, which is probably why you've not heard about it. But it's completely normal and talking about it is healthy.
    When I say get you know your own body I mean it's good to figure out what you do / don't like. Every woman is different and certain things feel better than others. Knowing what feels good or bad can be useful.
  • Options
    RenPRenP Posts: 203 Trailblazer
    @Morgan007

Also what I mean by getting to know your body just in the sense of being more connected to yourself, connecting your mind and physical body and feeling grounded in your form :)