Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What other languages can you speak?

DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,854 Master Poster
I know that this has probably been asked before but I'm just being curious about it. If you can speak more than one of the languages on the list, select the one that you are most fluent in and then comment below the other languages that you can speak. Same if you can speak any languages that are not on the list.
"There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
"The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
"I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 

What other languages can you speak? 7 votes

Spanish
14%
Dancer 1 vote
French
0%
German
0%
Polish
0%
British Sign Language
14%
jess63 1 vote
Welsh
0%
Ukrainian
0%
Dutch
0%
Japanese
14%
kaii 1 vote
I can only speak English
57%
JustVEmma_sinead276Amy22 4 votes

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Spanish
    I can speak Spanish, French, German, Polish, Ukrainian, British Sign Language, Scottish Gaelic, Portuguese, Hungarian, Chinese and Italian. I would say that I'm only fluent in 2 of those languages though (Spanish and British Sign Language.) However, I could probably have a basic conversation in most of the other languages that I just mentioned. Or at least I can say a few words.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
  • Options
    Emma_Emma_ Community Manager Posts: 601 Incredible Poster
    I can only speak English
    I'm super rubbish with languages! I learnt German in school and I was pretty good, so can still understand a lot. I started learning Spanish and Italian on Duolingo but I forgot about it for a while so not sure how good I am :Ds

I went away to Switzerland recently and it was soo cool because on the West side they speak Swiss French and on the East side then speak Swiss German! I then went down to Italy so 3 different languages and I couldn't understand anything ahah they all spoke English though so that was helpful!
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,058 Community Veteran
    I can only speak English
    I can speak a little bit of Spanish, some Icelandic though I have forgotten it a bit. I know a bit of Welsh but only because I am actually Welsh and in Wales it's part of the curriculum to learn Welsh which is cool. I loved learning Spanish because whenever I went on holiday I was able to use what I learnt :). Welsh is something I want to learn more of over time as I hope to become fluent in Welsh (as it isn't my first language but my second).
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,086 Wise Owl
    I can only speak English
    I learnt French in high school and started trying to relearn/go further with it this year but I'm not fluent - i may just about be able to hold a conversation if needed. I also tried a bit of Welsh during lockdown 1 so could probably recognise the very basics but at this stage it's probably all gone from my brain :3
  • Options
    Spanish
    Emma_ wrote: »
    I'm super rubbish with languages! I learnt German in school and I was pretty good, so can still understand a lot. I started learning Spanish and Italian on Duolingo but I forgot about it for a while so not sure how good I am :Ds

I went away to Switzerland recently and it was soo cool because on the West side they speak Swiss French and on the East side then speak Swiss German! I then went down to Italy so 3 different languages and I couldn't understand anything ahah they all spoke English though so that was helpful!

Poor Duo!
  • Options
    kaiikaii Posts: 468 Listening Ear
    Japanese
    I absolutely love languages :3 I can speak English, Tagalog, Japanese, and a little bit of French and Korean!

English is my first language, with Tagalog being my second since I'm Filipino ^^ I don't speak Tagalog often as I should, but my parents speak a lot of it in my house, so I understand a lot, and if I was told to speak it, I can speak it to a conversational level. I'm learning Japanese in uni right now and it's been incredibly fun - right now I think I'm at a A2-B2 level (from the CEFR global scale) in Japanese, but I'm not so sure yet. I definitely want to keep learning it after my 4 years of uni.

I learned French in secondary school and I was really good at it at the time, but I forgot most of it since my college didn't have a French A-Level :( - I definitely would have chosen to continue my French if my college offered the A-Level. I speak it a little bit with my French friend though, and understand more than I think. And I learned Korean over the summer and have practiced speaking with some friends! I'm not learning it at the moment though since it's quite similar to Japanese and I don't want to get the vocab and sentence structure mixed up hahah.

I'd love to learn Mandarin, Italian and Greek in the future!

Thank you for listening to my love for languages >3<
    cinnamoroll supremacy : )
  • Options
    boaboa Moderator, Staff Posts: 29 Boards Initiate
    I can speak Czech as I was born there. I have learnt to speak English at school and more in depth when I moved to the UK. Learning a new language can be tough but it is very good for the brain and enriching.
  • Options
    jess63jess63 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    British Sign Language
    Wow, it's great seeing what other languages everyone can speak. I started learning BSL a few years ago and I love being able to sign although I'm not quite fluent in it and it's more SSE than BSL as I get a bit confused with BSL grammar :lol: You'll have to give me some tips some time @Dancer I'm also learning Spanish, but I'm not that good at it, and I sadly lost my 153 day duo lingo streak the other day :disappointed::lol:
    The steps you take don't have to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction.
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,058 Community Veteran
    I can only speak English
    I tried learning bsl a bit but I forgot some of it its something that I would like to learn more of. I do know how to say I love you in bsl I think it's this 🤟, which I think is very cool.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films