Homeβ€Ί Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ukraine takeover

ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 3,972 Community Veteran
edited November 2022 in Politics & Debate
How did it happen in basic English? And how did it work πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦πŸ˜Š
Crazy mad insane
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,313 Part of The Furniture
    Are you referring to Ukraine taking back Kherson and Russia retreating, @ellie2000? :)
    The truth resists simplicity.
  • Options
    ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 3,972 Community Veteran
    Yh, 😊
    Crazy mad insane
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,313 Part of The Furniture
    edited November 2022
    Well I can only speak as a layperson on this, but over the last month or so Ukraine has been retaking a LOT of ground. They seemed to be liberating areas very quickly and I think recapturing Kherson was just the end result of that. Kherson was Russia's entry point into Ukraine, so it's a big deal for them to recapture it now and marks a big moment in the war.

It's also worth noting that Ukraine has had a lot of support from the West, particularly the US and UK - we've sent them a lot of weapons and equipment. On the other hand, Russia has been heavily sanctioned, and it seems like they weren't all that prepared to begin with, so they're at a pretty big disadvantage. The only thing Russia has that Ukraine doesn't is more soldiers to enlist, but it doesn't look like that's going too well either from the news coverage.

Hope that helps! I don't have much more detail than that but I'm sure there are news articles and such online you could dig into if you wanted specifics. :)
    The truth resists simplicity.
  • Options
    AbandonedTrolleyAbandonedTrolley Posts: 24 Boards Initiate
    It is good that Ukraine is now winning this war and liberating their country from Russian occupation! Because the areas of Ukraine which were under Russian occupation suffered terrible atrocities like this!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRzm8psh6HM