Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Israeli Apartheid?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Story

:(

Any comments?

(I know this is something we have discussed in the past Balddog..)

Comments

• Options
    Its only a matter of time before it takes place im sorry to say....If it was under any other circumstances then I would be disgusted. Unfortunately I really find it hard to blame them.
  • Options
    The cabinet is just being stupid. I doubt the parliament will pass it and if they do, the Israeli Supreme Court will overturn it on Constitutional grounds. Israeli Arabs have the same rights as any other Israeli citizens.

This is my opinion only. My knowledge of Israel is limited to a few visits and 6 months in the Sinai, plus interaction with some citizens of the nation.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog
    Its only a matter of time before it takes place im sorry to say....If it was under any other circumstances then I would be disgusted. Unfortunately I really find it hard to blame them.

Pathetic. Because some Palestinians are terrorists, all should suffer by being further subjugated, abused and treated like scum?

And the Israelis still don't understand why they're despised?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Vox populi, vox Dei

Pathetic. Because some Palestinians are terrorists, all should suffer by being further subjugated, abused and treated like scum?

Better than being slaughtered like animals in a few years.
  • Options

Better than being slaughtered like animals in a few years.

What's that supposed to mean?
  • Options
    Apartheid is the right word.

Perhaps it's time we started giving Israel the same treatment we gave to South Africa. Trade embargoes should be placed and the country must be expelled from all international sporting and cultural events until the butcher of Tel Aviv and his government go or change their murderious disgusting ways.
  • Options
    Article by Archbishop Desmond Tutu, someone extremely familiar with apartheid: <a href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4403427,00.html&quot; target="_blank">Apartheid in the Holy Land</a>.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Vox populi, vox Dei

What's that supposed to mean?

You know what it means..we have have this discussion before...In my opinion, given a few more years of suicide bombings, the Israelis will snap.

Aladdin, you really think that will help? Or will it simply stoke the flames?
  • Options

You know what it means..we have have this discussion before...In my opinion, given a few more years of suicide bombings, the Israelis will snap.

Aladdin, you really think that will help? Or will it simply stoke the flames?

You'd think that the Israelis, themselves victims of genocide only 60 years ago, would have enough sense not to embark on such a path. But their arrogance clouds their sense. They seem determined to seek revenge for the Holocaust, and the Palestinians are, unfortunately, the ones who have been chosen to receive it. I can only hope that the international community would respond to stop them, with force if necessary.

It sickens me how the Israelis view their experience in WW2 as carte blanche to do anything they want. Their critics can be conveniently labelled as anti-Semitists, or Nazis. It's strange how gays, or gypsies, never seem to use the Holocaust as an excuse for their actions now. Those groups were oppressed just as badly.
  • Options
    Thats funny because it was us who imposed Israel upon Palestine, it was our fuckup which led to the arab invasions and the start of the cycle of hatred.

Do you see the Palestinians as having any portion of blame for the current situation?
  • Options

you really think that will help? Or will it simply stoke the flames?

Well it won't do any harm. Sharon (and to a lesser degree previous governments) has been commiting very serious human right abuses safe in the knowledge that the US will turn a blind eye while continuing financing and arming Israel, and the EU is as usual locked in endless discussions and proposed motions that become nothing. Nations have been boycotted and isolated for less serious abuses than those commited by the Israeli government. A number of people in Israel would always support such type of actions but there is a large proportion of the public who would rather find a lasting peace, compromise with the Palestinians (namely return their land) and stop the hatred and suffering endured by all sides. Because of the current climate these people can't or won't speak out- the radicals are the ones being heard. We must send the message that what the Israeli government is doing is wrong and the international community will not longer tolerate such abuses. This is the right thing to do, but it might also encourage and help those within Israel who seek peace to speak louder and demand a change of policy.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin

Well it won't do any harm.

Conversely, it might lead to a much worse situation for the Palestinians.

As you said, there are a majority of Israelis who want peace and are willing to compromise. What happens when they see the world 'ganging up' on Israel? They have a unique history and IMO, they will pull together for defence.

PS, i take it you also want Arafat gone?
  • Options

PS, i take it you also want Arafat gone?

As long as he's replaced by someone who's worth it (i.e. neither a radical nor a Sharon muppet). Fresh faces and approaches are badly needed on all sides.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin

As long as he's replaced by someone who's worth it (i.e. neither a radical nor a Sharon muppet). Fresh faces and approaches are badly needed on all sides.

I think that the leader should be democratically elected, as indeed Arafat has been. I hate Sharon, but accept the right of the Israeli people to elect their own leader, so there's not much we can do but put up with him. My view of Arafat is exactly the same. If we want "better" Palestinian leaders, then we have to convince the Palestinian people through our actions that it is in their interests to elect them.
  • Options
    Israel does not give a fuck what anyone is this country or in Europe think or do. As long as they have the backing on the mighty USA both politically and militarily they know that their future is assured.

Boycott M&S as much as you like, it will make fuck all difference.

Paul.