Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Just making it worse

One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 601 Incredible Poster
Firstly I will say that I know they were coming from a good place and just wanted to make sure I’m ok but it didn’t help and just made it worse.

So I was at work and I started getting a bit anxious and overwhelmed. I couldn’t pin point a reason so quietly took myself to the laundry room to give myself a minute to calm down. Against id taken a few breaths and counted a couple of times I was feeling a bit better however while doing it another staff member walked in 🤦🏻‍♀️ Which was fine and she asked if I was ok. I explained that I was and was just taking a moment. I returned to the room feeling calmer. That staff member left the room and told the manager they were a bit worried (again I know it comes from a good place) so then the manager wanted to see me immediately I started feeling anxious again but went to see her. She asked what was up and I explained I was feeling a bit anxious but was ok now.

She asked why I was feeling that way, I explained I didn’t know, she replied saying “you must know why else would you have left the main room. Again I explained that I noticed I’d started feeling anxious and thought the best thing to do was to remove myself from the room and calm myself down, it worked and I returned to the room. She said “you must know why though.” I again said “but I don’t.” She said “I hope you’re not lying because I will find out.”

This may sound intimidating but is just her being her.

The issue with this is that while they were trying to support me they actually just made me feel worse and anxious again but this time I didn’t feel able to remove myself for a moment like before. The best way would have been to have asked if I was ok and once I explained myself left it at that as it just wasn’t helpful.

Like I say there was no reason I could identify as to why I felt anxious but them trying to help actually didn’t help. I don’t know how to address that though I don’t want go be rude

Comments

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 375 Listening Ear
    its really annoying when people badger u on about whats wrong when all you need to do is be alone to recharge. is it possible to just say that u sometimes need a moment to yourself to recharge after spending some time being with others and have some water?
    Whats a signatureeeww
  • Options
    kaiikaii Posts: 458 Listening Ear
    Hi @One-in-a-million ,

I'm really sorry that this has happened, I understand how intimidating it must have been when your manager was pushing you to tell her why you were feeling anxious. Even though they didn't have the best way of supporting you, it's great that you're aware that they both had the intention to help :smile: though I know how frustrating it is when people don't respect you needing some time to yourself.

May I ask, do you often feel anxious and overwhelmed at work? If so, is your manager aware about this? Like @spoon said, it may help to let them know that you sometimes just need to recharge and have some water. :smile:
    cinnamoroll supremacy : )