Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Health anxiety/ hypochondria

so, lately my anxiety has been absolutely terrible. I’m constantly worrying about my health (specifically my heart). I really don’t know what to do and i just want to know if anyone has any tips?

Comments

• Options
    RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    Sorry to hear that you're struggling at the moment @izzycloudy I know a lot of people on the boards have had their own issues with anxiety so it's totally understandable what you're going through. Are you currently talking to anyone about your anxieties like your family or your GP? It might be an option to book a doctor's appointment to see what kind of things there are that could help. :)

Is there a particular reason why you're so worried about your heart if you don't mind me asking? Health anxiety can be quite common especially if you've already had an issue in the past so there is some excellent advice about that sort of thing online.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Sunshine12Sunshine12 Posts: 90 Budding Regular
    Hi @izzycloudy I also suffer from anxiety and I find that if i’m worrying about something listening to music in a dark room or just with your lights of helps (sounds strange but i find it helps a little) Also, it sounds cliché but I find breathing exercises work to calm me down if i am rrly bad. If it’s health anxiety you’re specifically worrying about then I agree with @Riley if you haven’t already seeing a doctor to talk about it could rrly help as they’ll know suitable ways to help you in the long run.
    Hope this helped and stay safe, always here to chat ! ☺️
  • Options
    izzycloudyizzycloudy Posts: 2 Newbie
    Riley wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that you're struggling at the moment @izzycloudy I know a lot of people on the boards have had their own issues with anxiety so it's totally understandable what you're going through. Are you currently talking to anyone about your anxieties like your family or your GP? It might be an option to book a doctor's appointment to see what kind of things there are that could help. :)

Is there a particular reason why you're so worried about your heart if you don't mind me asking? Health anxiety can be quite common especially if you've already had an issue in the past so there is some excellent advice about that sort of thing online.

yes, ive had a blood test today and my school are trying to get me referred to camhs.

im not really sure why i get anxiety about my heart as i’ve never had any problems with my heart.
  • Options
    SonaSona Posts: 30 Boards Initiate
    edited March 2022
    Hey @izzycloudy ,

How are you feeling today? I have some anxiety coping skills that I am happy to share with you:

• Deep breathing: this is a super effective and discreet way to manage your emotions. This video explains how to do it and is easy to follow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbxeJE0SylM

• Imagery Meditation: meditation is a great way to calm nerves and get rid of negative thoughts. This is one of my favourite guided meditations to follow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doyZLqH_wgM

• Challenging irrational thoughts: Sometimes our brain is trying to protect us from 'worst case scenarios, while nothing bad is actually happening. By challenging difficult thoughts with evidence, you can help reduce your anxiety. So ask yourself:
    "Is my thought based on facts or feelings?"
    "How would my best friend see this situation?"
    "How likely is it that my fear will come true?"
    "What's most likely to happen?"
    "If my fear comes true, will it still matter in a week? A month? A year?"

• Imagery: Thoughts are so powerful. So when you think of something positive and calming, you feel might feel more relaxed: first, name 5 things you can see around you, next, name 4 things you can hear, then, name 3 things you can taste, 2 things you can feel and finally, 1 things you can smell.

Hope this helps! Let me know if this was useful for you xxx
  • Options
    Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Hey @izzycloudy how are you feeling today?
    You’ve had some brilliant replies with advice already so I just wanted to stop by to send hugs and get an update on how you’re doing 💜

I have anxiety, mine isn’t centred on health but it does bring up some quite irrational thoughts / feelings. I’ve spoken to a therapist about mine which has really helped, particularly if I have a ‘flare up’. Glad to hear you are being referred to camhs I hope they can help you too!
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend