Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I hate university with all my heart

ApolloApollo Posts: 804 Part of The Mix Family
edited March 27 in Work & Study
There is nothing I like about uni, I quit my last course and I think I'm about to quit this one.

In Scotland you can quit uni one time and still have the government pay for your education and I did that cause I hated my first course and I hate this one too.

I don't think I was made for uni. I was great at high school but even then I never studied. In uni they expect us to do all this shit by ourselves and they never meet with us or see us in person and I hate my course and I hate how uni is set up and I will never like it. I was doing so much better for myself until uni came back.

I don't know what I will do if I quit, I have a job where I do waiting (being a waiter) and I really like it, but I don't know if I will ever make enough from it to live on and I just started the job three weeks ago.

I don't think my brain works the way most people's work, for so many reasons and I've suspected for years and I don't think I was made for whatever university is. I always left things until they were late or didn't do things and didn't study in high school and I always said I'd never let uni change me but I think it would be more accurate to say that it couldn't change me.

I just want to be happy and I don't think I can at uni and I don't want to do whatever the fuck I'd end up doing with my course.
🎵 I feel so funny these days, I'd rather sleep than stay awake 🎵
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
    @Apollo
    Sorry to hear that you are struggling. I'm kind of in the same boat right now but I used to love uni and learning. Good thing is I am at the end now and only waiting for my last result. However, I never want to learn again. I hate learning because there is never an end (I was sleep deprived, had no appetite and there is no end to it). Do you think your mental health might have affected it? Do you think you might be interested in other majors? If a job makes you happy, you may work for some years and come back to do a degree if you want in the future (some of my friends funded their own education after working for some years). Your mental health is always the most important thing. Sending hugs.
    Tengo el alma en cuarentena y roto el cuerpo
    Qué dolor, qué pena y qué tormento
    El Kanka - Lo mal que estoy y lo poco que me quejo
  • Options
    DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    Hey @Apollo
    I've had friends in a similar situation, sometimes uni is just not the right thing for people and thats totally fine. I also don't like the fact that at uni your sort of thrown in without any help, when I first started I found it really strange that it was common for none of the lectures (on my massive course at least) to know your name, and it kind of felt like no one cared.

If your uni has a wellbeing service of student support it could be helpful to talk to them about how you're feeling? Just wanted to say that uni isn't everything and there are loads of jobs you don't need degrees to do. Like if you love waiting you could do that and then move up in that sort of career. I think its really important that people do things they enjoy though, and if that isn't uni that's okay xx
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction.