Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Struggling tonight

independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,615 Legendary Poster
I started fluoxetine 2 weeks ago. For the first week I had no side effects but since being completely off of mirtazapine it’s all just gone to shit. I’m really struggling. I felt better yesterday, but today I’ve felt on the verge of a panic attack all day and pretty low. Idk what to do. I either have to stick with this or I just can’t.
“Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”

Comments

• Options
    Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,146 Part of The Furniture
    Hey :)

I know switching meds can be super hard and as I’m sure you already know it takes awhile for them to build back up into your system so probably what your feeling is a mix of slight side effects and your body not having anything.

Generally side effects tend to peak around the 2 week mark so hopefully you should notice them begin to settle. - I guess the thing is that whatever medication you try it’s always going to make you feel rotten in the beginning but you know your body best and if you think it’s not right for you then might be worth speaking to your GP

Sending you loads of hugs right now
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • Options
    StellalunaStellaluna Posts: 62 Boards Initiate
    @independent_ Aw this seems awful, especially when you hope medication will make you feel better. It may be an idea to keep taking the medication because stopping it suddenly may make you feel worse. If things become unbearable, I would recommend speaking to your doctor about it. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
    @independent_ I'm so sorry that you're struggling right now. I know it can be super difficult when starting a new anti-depressant. I would say that you should do whatever you feel is best, I think it's important you keep taking this medication for now, and speak to your doctor. Stopping taking them will most likely have even worse side effects for you, and you and your mental health is so important.

Remember this is your journey, and unfortunately, medication doesn't always help everyone. I know from experience, so I really do empathise with you and want you to know that I'm really proud of you for persevering through this. The first two weeks of a new tablet can be so difficult. Is there anything you can do right now that makes you happy to help keep these negative thoughts at bay for a little while?

You're really doing incredible, please don't forget that. <3
  • Options
    Thank you all @Millie2787 @Stellaluna @Brookee I got my hopes up yesterday when I was feeling a lot better. It’s the anxiety and the insomnia I’m struggling with most. I will stick with it but it’s just so hard, right now in my head I’m like can I even do this.

I’ve got christmas music on and trying to relax but it’s not really working.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    I highly doubt I’m going to be able to sleep anytime soon. Despite being soooo tired
  • Options
    @independent_ I understand, it can be quite frustrating and disheartening when you have a good day and then the next day is difficult again. Unfortunately, it'll probably take a few more weeks for the tablets to properly kick in but it's so great that you're trying with them. I know it can be super hard not to just want to pack them in, after the 'adjustment' period has ended and it's still not doing wonders for you, but it's so amazing that you're trying to persevere through this.

I understand completely how difficult it can be. We're always here for you whenever you need. I would suggest just doing anything that makes you happy and maybe distracts you from these negative thoughts for a couple of hours or so. Also, just remember that during this time to try and be kind and gentle with yourself. You may not be able to do as much as you usually would, and that's okay. It's good to celebrate the small victories, even thinking about doing something, even if you can't actually do it i.e. getting out of bed is incredible.

Insomnia can be so hard to deal with, particularly when you're exhausted. Do you have any night time teas? they can be quite helpful to drink before going to bed. Are there any activities you can do that make you feel calm and relaxed i.e. reading, listening to calming music etc. <3
  • Options
    lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
    Heey @independent_

Sending lots of hugs and support!
    Switching medication can be really difficult, especially if you're accustomed to your previous one.

If this medication doesn't work out or the symptoms doesn't alleviate, then seek your GP and talk about taking the next steps. <3

Might be making a huge leap here buuuut:
    If it doesn't work out then remember that you're doing the best you can and like everything else with life, it's a trial and error! <3

Here for you
    <3<3<3
  • Options
    @Brookee thank you. I just can’t win with meds. The last one I was on had more long term side effects which I wasn’t coping well with either. And I honestly thought this change would be ok given the first few days were ok.

I’ve basically been useless this week..I’ve had so much that I need to do but just haven’t had the energy. Like for example I need to clean, hoover, tidy, clean my fridge, go to the gym .. the list goes on. I went for a walk with the dog this morning though which got me out of the house for a bit. His cuteness keeps me going and the way he was so excited to see me.

I only have ordinary tea and green tea which I don’t suppose are really night time teas. I do have peppermint somewhere. And lemon but I think that’s green tea too. I am a coffee drinker mostly but I tried not to have any of that this afternoon. I managed not to nap today too. Yet I’m functioning on only about 6 hours sleep and I’m still struggling to sleep now.

Sorry for the rant :lol: and thank you again for the support
  • Options
    That’s really kind @lovemimoon thank you <3 I’ve just been trying to do what I can but it’s hard.
  • Options
    It's okay @independent_

Dunno if I can say this but ride this bitch out until you can't take it! :joy:
  • Options
    @independent_ I completely understand, tablets can be so temperamental. I would say that if your feelings begin to deteriorate further, it's probably best to contact your GP, because they may consider a different tablet. Although, I am aware that some doctors (as mine did) will probably tell you these feelings are normal, and will normally pass after four weeks. This obviously isn't ideal at all, and I'm just really sorry and empathise completely with what you're going through right now. Of course we're always here if your thoughts do deteriorate further, also SHOUT could be a really good option!

I know it's probably not helping at all the lack of daylight now as well. That's okay though, I know our society tells us if we're not consistently up and about doing things we're not good enough, but life happens and you're doing amazing. Take things at your own pace, all those things will still be there :). That's amazing! I'm really proud of you, getting out can be so difficult, so honestly this is incredible to read. How did you feel after your walk? Dogs are incredible at helping with negative feelings, I'm really pleased he's bringing you some comfort during this time :).

That's okay, I understand not everyone is a tea person! Peppermint is supposed to be quite good before bed as it has muscle relaxant properties and doesn't have caffeine in it :) Of course, please don't feel like you have to drink it! Do what you're most comfortable with :). I'm so sorry you're only coping with 6 hours sleep, I hope that this insomnia eases more for you over time, although I know that can actually be a side effect of Fluoxetine, which isn't ideal at all!

Please don't apologise!! We're always here for you, and I just wanted to say thank you for sharing with us!
  • Options
    @Brookee you’re so kind. I can’t put into words how much I appreciate the support you and others have given me on here tonight.

I do worry it’s going to get worse especially with the lack of sleep. I’ve been awake since 7am this morning, it’s now after midnight again. That’s just making everything a ton worse. And I’m trying not to nap because I know that makes the nighttime insomnia worse.

I was quite proud of myself getting out for a walk, it zapped all the energy I did have though and things kinda went downhill from there (hence the thread). I just feel guilty because I’ve done nothing this week. Quite disappointed in myself tbh I was doing so well at keeping on top of everything.

I might try the tea tomorrow, I wouldn’t know where to find it now. I put it away somewhere “safe” months ago and now I forget what I did with it :lol: I do like tea though not tried many of the herbal ones for sleep other than peppermint. And green I like but that has a ton of caffeine. And though I’m somewhat tolerant to caffeine I don’t think that’s a smart idea right now lol.
  • Options
    Another sleepless night :(
  • Options
    Hey @independent_

Sorry to hear that <3<3<3 x
  • Options
    Mum took one look at me earlier and said “you need to ring the doctors back”. I don’t know. Part of me thinks I need to wait and see if it gets better.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 111 The Mix Convert
    Hey @independent_
    Thank you for reaching to us for some support.
    Switching meds could be really stressful and demanding, but it is just the first phase of it. Everything will be ok, don't worry about that. It's just a bit more effort now from your body to settle!

A big hug,
    Cosmo

• Options
    @Cosmo thank you <3

Just feeling exhausted. Did manage to wash my hair though so that’s one thing off my list.
  • Options
    I understand that, but you are strong enough to rise back!

A lot of blessings.
    Cosmo
  • Options
    Felt better this morning so went for a walk and nearly passed out. I don’t think this is just the meds. I probably need a blood test. Ugh
  • Options
    Feeling really low and can’t speak to GP till Wednesday
  • Options
    @independent_ I'm really sorry that your GP isn't being as helpful as you'd like. How have you been these last few days. I'm so sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday! How's your sleeping been?
  • Options
    @independent_
    Good evening independent, I'm sorry to hear that... and I agree with you regarding going on with a blood check with your GP. I hope they will be helpful, and you getting better day after day!
    Let us know how you will be felling this week!

A huge hug,
    Cosmo.
  • Options
    Thank you @Brookee and it’s ok don’t worry about yesterday! I rang the GP surgery earlier to see if my GP would be available tomorrow, turns out she won’t so I have to phone on Wednesday morning at 8.15 to make a same day appointment with her.

Apart from when I was walking I feel physically better today but I think it’s just completely drained all my mental energy. My sleep is still awful and I’m so exhausted. I don’t know what’s worse…feeling crap physically or mentally. They both make the other worse. If I’m not significantly better tomorrow I’ll call the GP Wednesday.

@Cosmo thank you for the hugs and support <3 I suppose it’s worth asking the GP to check if there’s anything else going on. It’s probably just exhaustion making it all worse.
  • Options
    The destructive part of my brain thinks I’d be ok coming off all meds to avoid any more side effects (after speaking to GP) but rationally in the small part of logical brain I have left, I know that would not go well and it’s probably just because my head’s not in a good place.
  • Options
    Everything can be fixed. My advice is to follow the direction that the GP gives you!

Have a lovely night!

Cosmo.
  • Options
    I feel a shift today, slept a lot better last night for probably a solid 7 hours which is the most I’ve slept in over a week.. Don’t really want to get my hopes up because I felt better on Friday and then went downhill again but I guess it’s something.

Still not great mentally I guess I’m just drained by it all. And thinking it would be ok when really it wasn’t that ok. I guess being off the old meds hasn’t helped.
  • Options
    Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,146 Part of The Furniture
    I know o felt rubbish for a week or so after coming off my citalopram to switch over to mirtazapine- our body’s are funky things 😅

Hopefully the GP can speak to you tomorrow it could just be a simple thing as having low iron I know I was forever tired when my folic acid was low 🤣
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    @Millie2787 lots of people have said to me I should get my iron level checked. I haven’t had a single day where I haven’t felt tired for months. Also get dizzy sometimes. I’ve also noticed those symptoms get 10 times worse around that time of the month (that hasn’t helped with this whole thing either last week lol)

It’s all just happened at once with the med change too. Before i went on mirtazapine I wasn’t on anything so I’ve never had to switch meds before.
  • Options
    @independent_ I'm really pleased to see you got a better sleep last night! It's understandable that you're feeling drained mentally and physically, changing medication can be a very vulnerable and difficult time. Particularly if this is your first time switching meds, because it's a shock to your body.

I'm really proud of you though for persevering through this time. I hope your GP can get something sorted for you in terms of your fatigue and dizziness as well <3