Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

what benefits can I get if i move out

downtherabbitholedowntherabbithole Posts: 32 Boards Initiate
edited September 2021 in Sex & Relationships
Both of my parents are recieving carers allowance. I've had a look at what this means, 'Carer's Allowance is a non-contributory benefit in the United Kingdom payable to people who care for a disabled person for at least 35 hours a week.' according to wikipedia and

'Carer’s Allowance is a benefit for people who are giving regular and substantial care to disabled people. The person you're caring for must get one of the following benefits, called 'qualifying benefits':

Attendance Allowance
Constant Attendance Allowance
the care component of Disability Living Allowance at the middle or highest rate
the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment (either rate)
Armed Forces Independence Payment'

according to citizens advice.

I'm autistic so I do have a disability but it is inaccurate to say that I require substantial care. I put my own things in the dishwasher, do my own laundry, my own cooking, I bathe myself, I'm also expected to contribute to the household. The only thing I'm not entitled to do at the moment is food shopping, which is done by my parents, even though I would be capabale of it. They sometimes drive me places because of where we live but that's pretty standard for any parent who has a car to do and I'm capable of walking

It says that 'the person you're caring for must get one of the following benefits'. I'm 15 which may have something to do with it, but I don't recieve any money from anyone including my mum. So obviously that means i'm not recieving money from any of the benefits listed. But have been told that mum is recieving the benefitS for me. What does that mean exactly, other than it going into her account for her own personal spends? I'm not happy about this as between my parents they spend at least £80 a week on tobacco for themselves, so they obviously have money 'spare' for that and don't actually need it

I'm bothered about them claiming this for me because it must look bad on me to then want to move out on my own if it is said that i require 'susbantial care'. I don't know if I would even be able to move out and be an independent adult due to this. If I can then they would also lose this benefit and whatever else they are claiming.

I have been informed that mum is setting things up so I recieve some money once i'm 16. I'm unsure what I will be able to claim as even disability allowance requires:

'If you need help looking after yourself
You might get the care component of DLA if you:

need help with things like washing, dressing, eating, using the toilet or communicating your needs
need supervision to avoid putting yourself or others in danger
need someone with you when you’re on dialysis
cannot prepare a cooked main meal
You can get this part if no one is actually giving you the care you need, or you live alone.

If you have walking difficulties
You might get the mobility component of DLA if, when using your normal aid, you:

cannot walk
can only walk a short distance without severe discomfort
could become very ill if you try to walk
You might also get it if you:

have no feet or legs
are assessed as 100% blind and at least 80% deaf and you need someone with you when outdoors
are severely mentally impaired with severe behavioural problems and get the highest rate of care for DLA
need supervision most of the time when walking outdoors
are certified as severely sight impaired and you were aged between 3 and 64 on 11 April 2011'

and I don't require any of them. I just so happen to be autistic. But I'm high functioning. So I'm unsure what I'd be able to claim.

I doubt I'd get much at all but living at home I will be expected to pay for my portion of all household bills and food, internet, and all personal expenses. There is nothing to do with me that I wont have to pay.

I'm wondering what benefits I would be entitled to if I stayed living at home or if I moved into a council property and went to university

Comments

• independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    edited September 2021
    I mean this in the kindest possible way, but you are only 15. That will be why your mum is getting your benefits for you, because legally you’re a child and she still has that responsibility for you. She could be getting DLA (disability living allowance) on your behalf (hence entitlement to carers allowance). If that’s the case, once you’re 16, you might be able to claim PIP (personal independence payment) which replaces that. Your autism might mean you are entitled to that, you don’t need to have a physical disability, but in all honesty it’s a pain in the arse to get hold of. To claim it you need to fill out a form and then someone at the DWP assesses you and decides if you can get it. So it’s very dependent on your specific case.

If you’re unable to work or in a low-paid job you might also be able to claim universal credit, but I wasn’t able to until I was over 18, so I’m not sure if you’ll be able to claim that at 16.

Carers allowance is a tricky one because I’m not sure how they assess it. And if you’re living independently your parents will probably lose that allowance. My mum used to get carers allowance for me when I was little, but she doesn’t get it anymore as I don’t need care as such (despite claiming PIP).

The best place for advice is probably citizens advice Scotland, I think they have a number you can call.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • SirArchibaldSirArchibald Posts: 75 Budding Regular
    I agree with @independent_ , as you are still considered a child and I asusme you are in full time education. Your parents will be getting benefits to help them pay for the cost of having a dependent child e.g food, clothes ect ect, and one of these benefits will be from carers allowance. I can understand your frustration with your parents, since you don't need the support that carers allowance suggest,I it must be annoying that your parents claim it when they seemingly don't need it, But you can't control your parents actions, its not up to you to worry about what they are and are not elgible for, that for the governement. If you have enough money to cover what you need then I would say try not to obess too much over it.
    With regards to moving out when you are 16, it will probably be quite difficult for you but there would be benefits/ finicial support that you'd be eligible for. But moving out when your young is very difficult and it would a stressful to manage living indepentdly and managing being in full time education. My advise would be if you can stay with your parents until you're about 18 and can leave full time education for job. Then you will be eligible for alot more benefits and be able to work to supporr yourself.
    I think it would be best to call citizen advice about this as they can give you alot more info about this.
    England contact number: 08001448848
    Wales:08007022020
    Scotland: 01315501000
  • RuhRuh Posts: 48 Boards Initiate
    I think it sometimes seems like a lot of money but with benefits in particular it won’t be enough esp with bills, council tax, food clothing etc. You might end up struggling - think this through very carefully and make an informed decision based on ur social and personal circumstances rather than a financial basis. Give the citizens bureau a call for sure