Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Going back to University

kimberley1907kimberley1907 Posts: 84 Budding Regular
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm going back to university next weekend and I'm feeling super nervous and anxious about it.

Last year I stayed in halls until Christmas and never went back because of COVID, and all my learning was online. I got super comfortable living at home, and I feel like I associate learning with my home now. I missed my family so much the two months I was away last year, and my mental health was really bad, so I'm not looking forward to this year now.

I'm living in private student accommodation with a girl from my course (all my other friends are in houses) and everything is basically in person now.

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with the change and adjustment to in-person teaching, since I've only ever been to my University twice, and moving into a place I don't know with people I don't know well. I'm also kind of down that all my other friends got houses without me, and they're living with their friends and I'm not :(

I struggled a lot last night and spent a lot of time overthinking, and have been for a while. But as it gets closer to me moving away, I'm feeling way more anxious.
Post edited by JustV on
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hi @kimberley1907,

Moving back to university can feel so daunting, especially with all of the changes last year. So, sending so many hugs your way :heart:

When I was at uni, I always planned a comforting, cosy evening for the first night so that I had something to settle me in. So perhaps planning something nice for yourself could help with the first night anxiety, before uni begins :blush:

I really hope everything goes well with uni. You are always welcome to update us with how things go, and we are here to support you if needed. Universities should also have well-being and learning support services in place. Have you checked these out before?

Best of luck with everything :heart:
  • Options
    Thank you @coc0mac <3

I was probably just planning on watching some Netflix or something. Maybe I could plan and save something to watch, possibly something I've watched before and feel comfort with??

I'll update you once I move in :) I got a bit anxious today so started packing and planning things to take, and I feel a little better now after doing this.

I'm already under the well-being department and have a mentor I speak to fortnightly during term time. I'm due to speak to her a couple days after I move in, so I'll be able to talk to her then. I also start therapy next week, and I'll have my therapist to speak to during my induction week too, so that's a good thing. I'm glad I have support from them at least if I do feel super bad.
  • Options
    SirArchibaldSirArchibald Posts: 75 Budding Regular
    Hi @kimberley1907 I was very anxious when I first moved to uni but I got adjusted to it. I came to really enjoy the independence that came with living away from home. I really enjoyed being able to cook my own food and decide on what I wanted to eat. It can be difficult living with people that you don't know, but it can be very fun getting to know your housemates, and you will become more comfortable as you spend your more time at the house. And if things get too much you will have your own room which u can go too and relax in
  • Options
    jorgejorge Posts: 11 Settling in
    Hi @kimberley1907,

First of all I want to say that whatever you are feeling right now is completely normal and is something that has happened to all of us at some point. University can be a big scary place at first and change is always difficult but new experiences, interactions with people, uncomfortable situations lead to personal growth, positive experiences and new friendships.

Having someone with more experience willing to talk and help you along is always great and I am very happy for you that you chosen to seek the support of these professionals.

If you ever feel overwhelmed with the world or anything in particular I would suggest some breathing exercises and some meditation. They always seem to help me calm down and refocus whenever I feel my mind going 100 miles an hour. Free applications such as Calm and Headspace provide some excellent relaxation exercises and sounds and maybe you could try them out if you want.
  • Options
    Thanks @SirArchibald and @jorge!

I really enjoyed the independence last year, even if it was for a short amount of time. But I think I was more worried about this year being used to being at home. I know I can do it, and some aspects of it I like, it's just getting used to it I think.

Also thanks for the suggestion @jorge. I used to meditate and use both of those apps ages ago, but never picked them back up. I might do when I get there, depending on how I feel.
  • Options
    KatKat Posts: 81 Budding Regular
    Hiya @kimberley1907
    I just want to say that I totally understand where you are coming from.
    I really do think that the nerves and anxiety are so much worse in the run up to going back to uni in contrast to when you are actually there, if that helps at all. I certainly found that in the run up to uni I was very anxious about leaving home but once I was there my nerves settled down and I just settled into a nice routine of uni life. I definitely think it helps once you have uni work to study for as it helps to take your mind off things. Also I would highly recommend joining up to a society as this really helps to keep you busy which definitely help me a lot.
    You said that you did enjoy the independence last year so just keep reminding yourself of this when you start to get anxious. Maybe try repeating some positive affirmations like 'I can do it', or 'I enjoy the independence' or even 'it's normal/okay to be nervous'. This should help to counter any nervous thoughts that you are having. And if you are feeling overwhelmed it's always a good idea to keep a journal and write down your concerns.
    Wishing you all the best at uni, you will smash it!
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions @Kat
    I do think it will be a case of it being feelings of anxiety before I go and start actual study there. Some people that have already gone back have said that to me, so I hope it all works out. Last couple of days I've been super busy so haven't had time to think. But have been getting stressed with packing, and I just feel like I'm going to forget something or I'm bringing too much stuff that won't fit in my car.

I'll definitely try to remind myself of the affirmations and positives too :)
  • Options
    SirArchibaldSirArchibald Posts: 75 Budding Regular
    Hi Kimberely, I hope packing is going well. When I was packing for uni it made me realise how much stuff I really have. I think that generally we remember all the really important things like chargers, toothbrushes ect. But if you do get to oyur house and realise that you've forgotten something you need it might be more stressful but wont be the end of the world. There will be stores that you could buy anthing you've forgotten or your family could bring or send you what you left behind. There are always options, so try to remember that when packing your stuff.