Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Panicking about changing accommodation

Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
I am right now living in student accommodation but may have to move out soon because I will not be a student anymore. It is already too late to find one and I only have around one week in the current one. I am not sure if I can ask for a longer time of tenancy. I hate myself for not looking for a new place to live earlier but I couldn't do anything when I was unmotivated and did not see the point in doing it. The more anxious I feel about it, the harder it is for me to actually search for a place to live. I hate myself right now and I am stressed out. I also have loads of coursework deadlines at the same time as well as having to deal with the impact of suffering a violent crime when already feeling vulnerable.
Tengo el alma en cuarentena y roto el cuerpo
Qué dolor, qué pena y qué tormento
El Kanka - Lo mal que estoy y lo poco que me quejo

Comments

• kimberley1907kimberley1907 Posts: 84 Budding Regular
    Hi @Kate_20.
    Not the same situation, but earlier this year I had no where to live for the next academic year and I was very stressed because I thought I just wouldn't find somewhere. I'm sure if you mentioned to the place you live you haven't found somewhere yet they would be able to accommodate you. Even if they said they couldn't, it's still worth a try. Maybe just try to set aside some time every day to look for a place, so you're not spending all day thinking about it and dedicating time to looking. So set the majority of your time for your coursework, as I assume that's important, but give yourself breaks too, and then also dedicate time to looking at places to live. I understand how stressful this process is though, and wish you the best of luck in finding somewhere.
  • Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
    @kimberley1907 Thanks for the method. I am still trying to find it as it is hard to find a place to live for 3 months.
  • kimberley1907kimberley1907 Posts: 84 Budding Regular
    Some places might to temporary contracts. I'm not sure where exactly to look, but I know my university's actual accommodation does termly contracts. I hope you find somewhere. Is there anyone you could reach out to, to ask for advice or help??
    Some places might to temporary contracts. I'm not sure where exactly to look, but I know my university's actual accommodation does termly contracts. I hope you find somewhere. Is there anyone you could reach out to, to ask for advice or help??

I am thinking about finding it in the student groups of my uni. Not sure if that works.
  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
    Hi Kate! Hope you are ok. How come you only need somewhere to stay for 3 months? I am assuming you can’t stay with family? If you can let us know it will be easier to help you. After I finished my degree I was homeless for a while so if you’re in the same situation I could maybe give you some advice?
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
    Hi Kate! Hope you are ok. How come you only need somewhere to stay for 3 months? I am assuming you can’t stay with family? If you can let us know it will be easier to help you. After I finished my degree I was homeless for a while so if you’re in the same situation I could maybe give you some advice?

Thanks @Jellyelephant for the offer. I am planning on moving in with two people so they have a say in this as well. I can only make suggestions but we have to decide together.
    We finally found somewhere to stay but we have to move to a different city (might change our decisions). I am so stressed about moving. Moving means that I will lose a lot of friends. It also means that I have to return books to the library when I am not yet ready to leave my room. I am also really scared of losing my medical record when they transfer it to a different place.
  • KatKat Posts: 81 Budding Regular
    Hiya @Kate_20

It's great you have found somewhere to stay, hopefully that feels like a little bit of relief. But understandably moving can be a really stressful situation, and moving to a different city must add to that feeling, so sending hugs your way <3 In the lead up to your move date, make sure you are still doing the things you love, any hobbies you have, to try and make you feel more relax and to do something else rather than thinking about moving all the time.

You say that moving will mean that you lose a lot of friends, but long distance friendships can totally work out. The pandemic has shown us all the benefits of video calls and staying in contact with people who we can't physically be with. And of course you can always visit each other from time to time which can be really fun. So maybe it would be worth trying to stay in contact with your current friends via video calls and social media. Also moving cities is such a great opportunity, where you can meet and make new friends. Try to see it as an amazing new adventure.

If you're talking about the medical record held by your GP practice, then that shouldn't be a problem. I have moved areas between home and university and they always just transfer the data between them. If you still worried about this then it might be worth just confirming this with your GP.

Wishing you the best of luck with your move <3
    Kat wrote: »
    Hiya @Kate_20

It's great you have found somewhere to stay, hopefully that feels like a little bit of relief. But understandably moving can be a really stressful situation, and moving to a different city must add to that feeling, so sending hugs your way <3 In the lead up to your move date, make sure you are still doing the things you love, any hobbies you have, to try and make you feel more relax and to do something else rather than thinking about moving all the time.

You say that moving will mean that you lose a lot of friends, but long distance friendships can totally work out. The pandemic has shown us all the benefits of video calls and staying in contact with people who we can't physically be with. And of course you can always visit each other from time to time which can be really fun. So maybe it would be worth trying to stay in contact with your current friends via video calls and social media. Also moving cities is such a great opportunity, where you can meet and make new friends. Try to see it as an amazing new adventure.

If you're talking about the medical record held by your GP practice, then that shouldn't be a problem. I have moved areas between home and university and they always just transfer the data between them. If you still worried about this then it might be worth just confirming this with your GP.

Wishing you the best of luck with your move <3

Thanks @Kat, I will be checking with my GP about the medical record. I wouldn't want to lose it because it is so important.
    I am really unhappy about moving now. I just want to cry. I don't want to pack and leave. My room is a mess. I am also a mess. There is no point in doing anything. I am afraid that I will get everything stolen tomorrow, including myself.
    I am trying to store the content of my computer in a hard drive but it isn't working now. I am panicking.
  • PhoebsflowersPhoebsflowers Posts: 58 Boards Initiate
    edited September 2021
    Hi @Kate_20

I'm really sorry to hear you are anxious about moving. I can imagine it must feel scary to know that you will be exploring a new city and meeting new people. On top of all that you say that you are coming to terms with the impact of a violent crime so it's understandable that things might be stressful. I think you should give yourself credit for getting towards the end of your studies and finding somewhere new to live. I'm sure lots of people would find that difficult but you've managed it under hard circumstances so well done! :)

When I moved to university for the first time, and even now when I'm going on a long trip, I found it useful to write myself a tick list of all the things I needed to remember to do whilst getting ready. That way when the day got nearer, I was able to relax a bit knowing I hadn't forgotten anything important. You could even stick labels on your bags/boxes (like "kitchen", "bedroom", etc) so you know what kinds of things are inside, when you arrive. Also, a bit of advice on your hard drive problem, are you able to email yourself any of your documents? That might help you at least know they are not going to get lost as you'll have a copy stored.

Have you spoken to anyone about the crime? Talking about your worries might be useful to help you come to terms with the impacts. Maybe you could see if there are any free services either online or in the new city you are moving to that could offer you support. Remember the Mix also have a helpline which anyone can access to gain advice and support.

Good luck with moving <3
    Hi @Kate_20

I'm really sorry to hear you are anxious about moving. I can imagine it must feel scary to know that you will be exploring a new city and meeting new people. On top of all that you say that you are coming to terms with the impact of a violent crime so it's understandable that things might be stressful. I think you should give yourself credit for getting towards the end of your studies and finding somewhere new to live. I'm sure lots of people would find that difficult but you've managed it under hard circumstances so well done! :)

When I moved to university for the first time, and even now when I'm going on a long trip, I found it useful to write myself a tick list of all the things I needed to remember to do whilst getting ready. That way when the day got nearer, I was able to relax a bit knowing I hadn't forgotten anything important. You could even stick labels on your bags/boxes (like "kitchen", "bedroom", etc) so you know what kinds of things are inside, when you arrive. Also, a bit of advice on your hard drive problem, are you able to email yourself any of your documents? That might help you at least know they are not going to get lost as you'll have a copy stored.

Have you spoken to anyone about the crime? Talking about your worries might be useful to help you come to terms with the impacts. Maybe you could see if there are any free services either online or in the new city you are moving to that could offer you support. Remember the Mix also have a helpline which anyone can access to gain advice and support.

Good luck with moving <3

@Phoebsflowers Yeah I have stored them via email so they did not get lost. My uni has onedrive so it is helpful too. Yeah I have talked to my friend about it. I am in a new city now. I am shattered. I feel unable to leave my room so I cannot go to the kitchen:(
    That's great that you were able to store your documents. I hope that at least took some of the worries off as you didn't lose them.
    Well done for moving successfully! Have you been able to read up on the area to know where different places are that you might need to access? Maybe if you feel you are unable to use the kitchen, are there any takeaway services around or could you get a supermarket food shop to be delivered?
    That's great that you were able to store your documents. I hope that at least took some of the worries off as you didn't lose them.
    Well done for moving successfully! Have you been able to read up on the area to know where different places are that you might need to access? Maybe if you feel you are unable to use the kitchen, are there any takeaway services around or could you get a supermarket food shop to be delivered?

@Phoebsflowers I haven't looked up the service in the new area yet because I feel very lightheaded. I ordered one takeaway today. I am trying to cooking things in my room don't worry.
    That's okay. Just be kind to yourself and perhaps you'll be ready to explore the area another day <3
    Well done for cooking in your room x
    That's okay. Just be kind to yourself and perhaps you'll be ready to explore the area another day <3
    Well done for cooking in your room x

@Phoebsflowers Thank you. I will keep on trying.