Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Social Work Meeting

Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
edited March 27 in Home, Law & Money
Head of my SW department met with me today and spent about an hour and a half with me and my advocate.

He apologised for taking so long to get everything sorted (took 6+ months since the last meeting).

He acknowledged that there were failings in my case (wow that felt damn good)

And he acknowledged that my files were written poorly.

I don't have much more to say just now. He's planning on allocating a social worker to go through my files with me in depth. He's planning to put this all in writing for me.

It feels so damn good to be validated for a change.

He acknowledged how difficult it is to get answers because literally no one mentioned in my files are accessible. One of the teachers is dead and the others now work outwith the council making them unreachable as it's not legal proceedings.

I honestly just want to cry, it's like such a relief. Being validated and acknowledged and having my care experience validated by social work. Wow it feels good.

And breathe.
               (_)
                |
           ()---|---()
                |
                |
         __     |     __
        |\     /^\     /|
          '..-'   '-..'
            `-._ _.-`
                `
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    This is wonderful to read. Sometimes that validation makes all the difference. I’m so glad they’re finally listening to you I know how hard this has been for you.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    @independent_ thank you! He said that even though I maybe wasn't ready to talk to them 7 years ago and the social workers didn't give me the space to like they should have he's now glad I'm feeling ready to talk and get support.

He said that even my method of contacting SW was very telling of how I was feeling at the time.

He also said that he doesn't like the word manipulative being used to describe anyone let alone a child.

I'm just so thankful it's finally been taken seriously you know? <3
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • SpaceOtterSpaceOtter Community Champion Posts: 761 Part of The Mix Family
    Hey @Anch0r33 ! I’m really happy to hear how the meeting went. Sending lots of hugs.
    The word manipulative certainly is a harsh and unfair word to use.
    Im glad you’re getting the help and support you deserve.
    Always here if you ever need anything <3

Take care anchor.
    You're awesome!
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    That all sounds very positive. I’m glad you’re being taken seriously too
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
    So it turns out that one of my old social workers is still working in my local council area and has agreed to meet me.

I'll keep you guys updated with this but I'm feeling very mixed emotions with this one. I'm nervous and I'm excited and relieved. It's crazy. I was always told there was no one from my case still about to ask. Now there suddenly is, and it's the one that was mentioned most in my files.

I've agreed to meet with her. We'll see what happens.
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • summerxo21summerxo21 Deactivated Posts: 321 The Mix Regular
    Hello @Anch0r33
    I been in care for 5 years now i finally left but i hear you're time has been scary.
    my time was hell i got neglected and moved around like a present on pass the parcel.
    i been abused several times but i hope you find ease during you're life.

Awesome thread by the way!!

summer :)
    summerxo21 wrote: »
    Hello @Anch0r33
    I been in care for 5 years now i finally left but i hear you're time has been scary.
    my time was hell i got neglected and moved around like a present on pass the parcel.

Hiya, it's lovely to meet another care experienced person, although I'm sorry we have this in common!

Your experience sounds to be not a nice one and I'm sorry you were neglected and passed about. With the way the current system is though, I'm not surprised.

Glad to see the CE zone picking up a bit now! Feel free to drop me a pm if you want to chat some more :)

Anchor
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
    Anch0r33 wrote: »
    summerxo21 wrote: »
    Hello @Anch0r33

Hiya, it's lovely to meet another care experienced person, although I'm sorry we have this in common!

Your experience sounds to be not a nice one and I'm sorry you were neglected and passed about. With the way the current system is though, I'm not surprised.

Glad to see the CE zone picking up a bit now! Feel free to drop me a pm if you want to chat some more :)

Anchor

hello,
    thank you <3

yeah same wish it was a better subject to meet on aha you okay?
    @summerxo21 no worries <3

I'm doing alright! Been thinking a lot about how my meeting with my old social worker will go.

I want to ask her so many things - why did she make the decisions she did, why did she leave me in danger, why did she not formalise my care, why did she not support my family or me, why did she not care, why everything happened. It's just so shit. I want to ask her all these but I know I'll struggle in person. I'm taking my advocate along with me so I guess we'll discuss it beforehand and she can help me get everything out. I know things can't be changed but maybe it would fill in some blanks
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
    @summerxo21 no worries <3

I'm doing alright! Been thinking a lot about how my meeting with my old social worker will go.

I want to ask her so many things - why did she make the decisions she did, why did she leave me in danger, why did she not formalise my care, why did she not support my family or me, why did she not care, why everything happened. It's just so shit. I want to ask her all these but I know I'll struggle in person. I'm taking my advocate along with me so I guess we'll discuss it beforehand and she can help me get everything out. I know things can't be changed but maybe it would fill in some blanks

That's brave <3 big hugs from me

this place is really good btw :)
    Awe thank you! I'm really glad you like it, the CE zone has been my project, I've neglected it a little recently as I've been in a bit of a hole but it's so nice to see it getting some use <3
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
    Awe thank you! I'm really glad you like it, the CE zone has been my project, I've neglected it a little recently as I've been in a bit of a hole but it's so nice to see it getting some use <3

i like it a lot! <3
    Okay here I am again to rant and get pissed at the actions of social work. Considered making a new thread but feel like it fits here too.

My advocate called me this morning. They heard from one of my old social workers. God I'm actually getting pissed thinking about this but here we go.

The social worker asked my advocate why I wanted to meet with her, as she was "confused" about it all. Apparently she DOES remember me. I guess that's a decent step. She asked specific questions regarding me proving she did remember me.

She stated that she was only involved after I started living with my grandparents. Said she didn't think there was any need for social work involvement and that if the house was just "messy" then it didn't meet the threshold for social work involvement. She said she had not seen the living conditions, just read my files.

Apparently it was all a family arrangement that came about due to an argument between my mum and I.

Sorry wtf. I contacted them, reaching out for help due to the extremely poor living conditions and the fact I was physically abused and neglected. Not my fault the social workers before her were incompetent when writing my files.

So now it looks like she's just gonna cover their arses.

No problem though, I've got pictures of living conditions, I've got my Childline notes from that time that prove what I was saying was true.

She said there was absolutely no way I would have ever been accommodated by social work and she said that it was my fault (YES MY FAULT) that I didn't get the help I needed because I did not engage.

She said all I did was run away.

I'm beyond pissed right now. Gahhhhhhh
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `