Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Could it be OCD?

eve1234567890eve1234567890 Posts: 15 Settling in
hi, so for the past 3 months i’ve been having horrible intrusive thoughts and even though i know they don’t mean anything about me i still feel guilty and obsess over them. it’s like this constant ‘what if…’ and it makes me feel like a terrible person. i think i might have ocd or something called ‘pure ocd’ because i don’t really have any compulsions apart from ruminating or looking for reassurance. i feel so hopeless and i can’t see a way out. i don’t want to tell anyone because i’m worried they will think i’m a bad person when i’m the opposite and i hate the thoughts. How do I just let the thought pass instead of obsessing and ruminating over it? i KNOW that the thoughts are just thoughts and they are not me but i still feel guilty. i literally cannot do this anymore it’s like hell

Comments

• Options
    lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
    Hi @eve1234567890
    I'm sorry you're going through a difficult situation. Sending lots of hugs and support <3

I don't personally have OCD but I'm aware that intrusive thoughts can be a symptom of different mental disorders so it can be difficult to pinpoint exactly what you're going through.
    I deal with intrusive thoughts for a certain period of time but I experience other symptoms that point to something else.
    If you're experiencing symptoms and you're concerned that you may have OCD then please don't be afraid to contact your GP. Understandably, it's a daunting process but don't let that stop you from getting the support you deserve. <3

I'll leave a couple of helplines here as well.
    Helplines:
    I'm sorry this isn't much help but I hope you're doing okay. <3
  • Options
    KatKat Posts: 81 Budding Regular
    Hiya @eve1234567890

I'm sorry to hear what you have been going through, that sounds really tough. But thank you for being brave enough to share it with us.

First things first, as @lovemimoon has suggested, I would really encourage you talk to your GP. I know it's obvious but they can only help if they know what is going on, and trust me they really want to help. And it's always better to talk to a professional rather than existing in a state of unknown.

In terms of dealing with reoccurring thoughts there are a few things that help me when I'm anxious. Firstly I keep a journal as I find that writing the thoughts down helps to get them out of my head and onto paper instead. You could even try writing your thoughts on a piece of paper and then ripping up the paper to symbolise getting rid of the thought. Another thing to try is a type of meditation. You sit down in a comfortable position and focus on your breathing and when a though pops up you imagine the thought is a cloud and you watch it drifting away.

Hope this helps a little. But just know that I don't think you are a bad person for opening up about this. In fact I think you are incredibly brave.
    Sending hugs <3