Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The "damaged person" PTW mentions SH (Well it's actually sort of a rant - unaimed)

Past UserPast User Definition of a mental mess and a certified lost cause :)EnglandPosts: 0 Just got here
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Options
    Past UserPast User Definition of a mental mess and a certified lost cause :) EnglandPosts: 0 Just got here
  • Options
    PhoebsflowersPhoebsflowers Posts: 58 Boards Initiate
    Hello @LorryTruck

Firstly, I just wanted to say thank you for sharing. Sometimes it can be difficult to admit that you don't like the way others are responding to you. I think you're right that it can be hard to let go of the past sometimes, especially if it's a personal situation. I believe it's very brave that you are willing to reach out to others on this platform :)

My story is not the exact same as your situation but I have a long-term medical condition and I definitely think I get what you mean when you say that other people in your lessons sometimes seem to look at your difficulties first before getting to see the real you. It can be horrible sometimes when you feel like you have to explain yourself to others but it can be perfectly okay in certain situations, as you say, to keep some things to yourself if they are personal.

If you don't mind me asking, is there something you think you could do to help yourself?
    I don't personally believe it's a always a bad thing to accept help from others, as often talking can be helpful, but there might be strategies that you could use to support yourself too.
  • Options
  • Options
    Past UserPast User Definition of a mental mess and a certified lost cause :) EnglandPosts: 0 Just got here
  • Options
    You're welcome.

Is there somebody who could support you outside of school? I don't know if there are any services in your area who would be able to offer you help without being judgemental about your past.
  • Options
  • Options
    kimberley1907kimberley1907 Posts: 84 Budding Regular
    Hi @LorryTruck.

Thank you for posting your experience. I completely understand how you must feel.

Firstly, I want to say that you are not broken, and you do not need to be fixed. While mental health is something you cannot choose, you can choose to work on yourself and be determined to make better choices for your own health and wellbeing.

School is a stressful environment, especially as a teenager growing up and trying to understand the world and learning at the same time. I know as I only left school last year. I also suffered from mental health problems at school, and still do now, but kept them very hidden and didn't tell anyone, and only got professional help in my last year. I didn't get much help long-term in the end. And it's something I do regret, and not talking to anyone, even my school, made it very difficult for me.

Do you know any people (inside or outside of school) that have been through a similar experience to you? I ended up finding a friend later on who struggled with anxiety and depression like me, and I found it easier to open up to her, because I knew she would understand a little bit more with what I was going through, and she appreciated that I trusted her.

I've also seen that you don't know how to be referred to mental health services. I was referred through my school, and they contacted CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services) for me and got me an appointment that way. You can also contact your GP, and ask them to refer you too.
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm glad that you know some people online, even having one person who feel the same way you do can make a big difference.

How do you mean it makes things awkward? Can you explain what happens after you tell them, or how they respond to you telling them?

I'm glad that the school have said that too you though, hopefully one way you can get support.
  • Options
  • Options
    She might just feel more comfortable talking to you alone. Group dynamics are super weird, and people act differently around different people. Does she actively ignore you or choose to sit and speak to other people more when she's with the group?

If she's also told you things about her, then I'm guessing she's not uncomfortable with you telling her things. But also, when we tell our friends things sometimes they're not emotionally able to cope with it at that current time. Maybe mention to her if you get a chance if she's okay with you telling her stuff. Or maybe mention to her about how she acts with the group if it's bothering you. It's better to be open with people about things so things aren't miscommunicated.
  • Options
  • Options
    She might not feel comfortable talking about that stuff with them, and that's okay. She might see the group as just people to hang out and talk about different things with.

Maybe clarify with her? Just so you're not worried about triggering her whenever you speak to her.
    Do you know her triggers? If not, if she's comfortable sharing, that should be helpful to you because maybe you could choose or be more mindful with what kind of things you say to her?
  • Options
  • Options
    Ok, well that's good to hear. We never intentionally mean to trigger our friend but at least you know what certain things she may be uncomfortable with. I'm glad that your friend is there and able to listen to you though :+1: