Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

vaping

ren0420ren0420 Posts: 29 Boards Initiate
hey bffs,
i recently started occasionally vaping my friends low nicotine liquids to distract myself by learning tricks and just focusing on breathing, i guess, because i have bad anxiety in school and my school allows it in designated areas.
i want to buy my own vape however my mum hates them a lot and even threatened to kick me out over it.
this is one of my only healthier coping mechanisms (and i explained this to her) but she just sees me as a 'rebellious teen' (im almost an adult arghh).
i have tried to find other ways of coping and they honestly dont help as much.
im not addicted to the nicotine (like i said its low % anyway and i almost never have chances to use it) and i can see why shes worried for me but why cant she see how much it helps me??
frustration.

shes very open to alcohol consumption hwever the feeling of being tipsy makes me unsteady and i really dont like it (especially to cope because i dont want to depend on alcohol) which is super confusing.

do any of you guys use vapes to help relieve stress? if you live at home, are you parents okay with it?

Comments

• rainskyerainskye Posts: 130 The Mix Convert
    Hi Ren!

Could you try sitting down with your mum (again) and explain in detail (or even write a letter) how vaping helps you mentally and makes you feel a lot less anxious in certain situations; also, the fact that your school allows it in designated areas should show to your mum that it isn't all that bad. It's good that you have a coping mechanism but I can see how frustrating it is that your mum doesn't agree with it. Also, the fact that your mum doesn't agree with it will only make you want to do it more, which doesn't help with the stress of the situation.

It's also good to identify that you don't want to depend on alcohol and use it as a coping mechanism, this is a really healthy way of thinking and I'm glad this is your thought process regarding it.

To relieve stress, I smoke weed, it helps me mentally, it helps with my sleep, it helps in many different factors. I don't smoke it every single day, just when I think I need it. My mum has no idea that I do it, I go to places that are quiet, and not as many people will see me. She would not be happy if she found out although I am an adult.

I hope some of this helps and your situation improves. Sending all my love!
  • Past UserPast User Recovering🥀 LondonPosts: 0 Just got here
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ren0420ren0420 Posts: 29 Boards Initiate
    rainskye wrote: »
    Hi Ren!

Could you try sitting down with your mum (again) and explain in detail (or even write a letter) how vaping helps you mentally and makes you feel a lot less anxious in certain situations; also, the fact that your school allows it in designated areas should show to your mum that it isn't all that bad. It's good that you have a coping mechanism but I can see how frustrating it is that your mum doesn't agree with it. Also, the fact that your mum doesn't agree with it will only make you want to do it more, which doesn't help with the stress of the situation.

It's also good to identify that you don't want to depend on alcohol and use it as a coping mechanism, this is a really healthy way of thinking and I'm glad this is your thought process regarding it.

To relieve stress, I smoke weed, it helps me mentally, it helps with my sleep, it helps in many different factors. I don't smoke it every single day, just when I think I need it. My mum has no idea that I do it, I go to places that are quiet, and not as many people will see me. She would not be happy if she found out although I am an adult.

I hope some of this helps and your situation improves. Sending all my love!

ill try again at a more convinient 1-2-1 time with her thankyou for the advice skye!!
  • ren0420ren0420 Posts: 29 Boards Initiate
    zaynab_5 wrote: »
    Hello! @ren0420

Vaping is less harmful than smoking as regular tobacco cigarettes contain 7000 chemicals, and there are less chemicals in a vape. In my view it is okay to vape as long as you are not addicted to it (it contains nicotine which is a highly addictive substance) and if you can't find any other ways to cope.
    I agree with @rainskye that you can try talking to your mum and tell her about how relieving it is and try to make her understand that you don't have any other ways to cope. Also, as your school has a designated area for it, she could understand how common it is.
    When I was admitted to my second unit, I've started smoking because I thought that it was the only way to help me cope with my psychotic and depressive symptoms and I couldn't find any other ways to cope as I kept feeling delusional. It helped me with my mental health and my parents obviously weren't happy that I was smoking, however they eventually understood and accepted it because I was going through so much. So I understand how it can feel when it comes to parents.
    If she does let you have a vape later on, maybe limit yourself on it so that she can see that you can control it and so that she can trust you with it. She'll understand that you are not addicted to it.

Sending hugs!

i mentioned the fact that i use close to 0 nicotine vapes and i think she believes itll make me want nicotine... maybe it will? i completely understand her POV i just dont undertsand why she wont listen to mine arghhh thankyou for the help though!
  • PinkgubelPinkgubel Posts: 19 Settling in
    In the case that your mum doesn't change her opinion, my [unconventional] advice is to ask around because there will be people who are willing to buy one for you.
    My mum wouldn't buy me a vape and would be very angry at me if I vaped, yet be fine with my drinking, which is odd to me too lmao. I know what it's like.
    The only other thing you could do is look for other coping mechanisms - fidget toys, phone apps, breathing methods, drinking herbal tea etc.
    Realistically though, I'd ask around.