Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Coping mechanisms

rainskyerainskye Posts: 130 The Mix Convert
edited May 2021 in Health & Wellbeing
Hey everyone.

I'm just wondering what are some healthy coping strategies you use when you're feeling really low or have intrusive thoughts, etc. I thought this could be a good thread to look at when you're feeling this way to get some ideas and to share some of your own. Here's some of mine:

Watch a comfort show/film
Colouring
Paint my nails
Read
Go for a walk

Sending you love and support! <3

Comments

• Options
    lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
    Great idea!

Mine are:
    - Painting/Colouring
    - Write down my intrusive thoughts in my journal
    - Watch comedy shows
    - Go for a walk
    - Sit in a park - preferably one with a river/lake.

• Options
    lovemimoon wrote: »
    Great idea!

Mine are:
    - Painting/Colouring
    - Write down my intrusive thoughts in my journal
    - Watch comedy shows
    - Go for a walk
    - Sit in a park - preferably one with a river/lake.

Going someplace with a river or lake is so relaxing! Hearing the water flow, there's something that helps me feel at peace, it's also really good for grounding.
  • Options
    Past UserPast User Recovering🥀 LondonPosts: 0 Just got here
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    zaynab_5 wrote: »
    So basically I have done an activity with my care coordinator called stress vulnerability bucket.
    p0zcujyoi9j7.png

It is a bucket where when it gets over the normal amount (half way) you are over stressed. There are taps outside the bucket and they are what you should do to reduce your stress. Mine are:
    -Watching Netflix/YouTube
    -Read a book
    -Talk to my friends about how I'm feeling
    -Meditation

I love the visual representation. I also try to incorporate some meditation into my daily activities, it definitely helps to relax me but is quite difficult to do in the moments when I'm feeling low.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    So basically I have done an activity with my care coordinator called stress vulnerability bucket.
    p0zcujyoi9j7.png

I agree with @rainskye
    What other activities have you done with your care coordinator?

Have you tried meditating in the morning? I do meditative breathing exercises when I wake up - light breathing techniques if I'm feeling okay, heavy if I'm feeling particularly low or stressed out.
  • Options
    p0zcujyoi9j7.png

I agree with @rainskye
    What other activities have you done with your care coordinator?

Have you tried meditating in the morning? I do meditative breathing exercises when I wake up - light breathing techniques if I'm feeling okay, heavy if I'm feeling particularly low or stressed out.

I use the Headspace app to guide my meditation, typically at night when I find it quite challenging to fall asleep. This meditation talk is making me want to go do some right now. If you have the time to meditate, go do it! i2w7cf3t6qog.jpeg
  • Options
    I'm in love with these images, man! Where did you find them?
  • Options
    I'm in love with these images, man! Where did you find them?

I find them on Pinterest :3
  • Options
  • Options
    I'll give that a try! Thank you!
  • Options
    hali8982hali8982 Posts: 3 Newbie
    When I get intrusive, irrational thoughts, I try to take a minute and just take a deep breath and think about the stuff that I’m saying. The initial breath is incredibly important because you want to try and ease the unwanted tension in your chest as you exhale. You’d be surprised how much breath work can help ease intrusive thoughts! I believe it’s because you have something to distract yourself - my therapist actually recommended blowing bubbles or a balloon because you efficiently distract yourself, but you also focus on your breathing! My GP also recommended the app ‘Insight Timer’ - it’s completely free and has many podcasts that you can listen to for many different emotions. I also completely agree with @rainskye - large bodies of water, and taking walks along the beach/ river is so, so calming, even listening to some white noise should do the trick! I also love meditation as @zaynab_5 mentioned, my favourite one is ‘Positive Energy 10 minute Guided Meditation’ this is really short, and helped me get through one of my toughest moments. :)