Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Starting college/ sixth form

ren0420ren0420 Posts: 29 Boards Initiate
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hello again,
I just finished my first year of college and wanted to help any year 11s who may be worried about the change from high school to college.
  1. I know this sounds cliché but seriously: Be. You. If you try build up a fake version of you it's a lot more tiring, you'll not want to go to school and in the end no one will really appreciate it. Rather, be your honest self! You will attract people who are much more in your comfort zone and you'll probably have similar interests!!
  2. Bring your own food. College is expensive... sheeeesh.
  3. College is a lot more accepting of people who dont fit the 'norm'. Sure there'll be the one or two who arent as open minded but truly in my experience you could show up naked and no one would bat an eye! I'm out as non-binary as are many other people in my college and almost everyone is respectful and makes you feel welcome, even teachers.
  4. Oh yeah, teachers are another speaking point. They treat you way more like an adult and they really listen to your feedback.
  5. No detentions!!!
  6. Energy drinks allowed hehe.
  7. You will need your own everything: notebooks, paper binders, glue sticks, pens, pencils, everything!!
  8. Depending on your school you will probably have a lot of 'free time' in the middle of the day... use them as effectively as possible after October. Sure September is the time of making friends and enjoying freedom but 'free time' is important to catch up on work and homework you potentially can't get done at home and provides a quiet time to yourself (and your music aha).
  9. Bring your chargers.
  10. There's more peer pressure than high school. You need to look after yourself and do what you know is best for you as an individual!
  11. Water and gum!!!!
  12. Fellow college attendees drop anything I missed (or maybe got wrong) this is all my personal experience^

Stay safe homies.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Thanks for this it's very helpful!

I've done 2 years of college and just taken up a new learning opportunity but despite my experience I'm starting off nervous, it's okay though it's a new place so anyone starting don't worry, you'll settle in x

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    edited May 2021
    This post is great! I did a year of college and especially agree with step 2 ;) it’s an expensive place for sure!

My top tip would be to communicate with your teachers (or lecturers if you’re in a college like mine) they really want to help you. When I was struggling just before I left college, the lecturers were great and really wanted to help me. There’s the minority who won’t be that great but the great majority will be supportive. It’s amazing.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • naominaomi Posts: 94 Budding Regular
    I went to sixth form but it was more of a college vibe where we could leave when we were done etc. I agree with step 1, 100%. You should be yourself always because honestly the friends you make will be the people you vibe with or have the most in common with so you should just be you so you can find people that really enjoy being around you and you enjoy being with them.
    Step 7, I didn't know that I was supposed to bring everything like of course stationary and one notebook. But you do have to bring all your own things notebooks, folders, pens, pencils, glue, everything!!!!
    My own tip I would say if you can, don't hesitate to email your teachers about anything or ask them after or before class. Any help that you need for your subject, ask because more often than not your teachers want to help you and will respond to you ready to help. Don't be scared to ask for help.
    Hope this helps :)