Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Positive experiences with support

independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
edited March 2021 in Health & Wellbeing
Hey everyone,

Tomorrow (2nd March) is teen mental wellness day, and as part of that, The Mix have asked a few boards members to create some posts which promote discussion of mental health. I’m delighted to be one of those people who The Mix spoke to :)

When we talk about mental health services and support, there are a lot of negative experiences out there. You don’t have to look far down this forum or spend much time in chat to find people who are struggling to get the support they need. I’ve had my fair share of bad experiences, it’s far more common than it should be.

With that in mind, I wanted this to be a space to talk about the positive experiences we have had with support. That can be support from anywhere (it doesn’t have to be from professionals, but if you have any, sharing those good experiences would be great too).

It could be support from your family or friends - did one person just get you and make you feel listened to? It could be online spaces which you have found helpful, or about that really kind person you spoke to on a helpline.

And of course, if you’ve found being a part of the mix community to be a positive experience, I’d love to hear about that too!! <3 seeing the positive experiences people have here might encourage some lurkers to join too, which would be awesome!

I know I love hearing positive stories it reminds me that there are still good people out there and that getting support is not impossible, even if sometimes it feels that way.

I am really looking forward to reading what you all think <3
“Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”

Comments

• Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    I found that I’ve got. Really good relationship with my eating disorder nurse. She kind and caring , she doesn’t mind when I haven’t done the work she asked as she knows I’m going to have weeks where I struggle more than others . She listens , she doesn’t tell me what to do and she goes on what I think I need not on what she wants me to do.
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • StarlightStarlight Posts: 1,436 Wise Owl
    Finding themix has been one of the biggest positives in my life, I might not be on here over much anymore but I know everyone over here is always there for me regardless and I try to check in from time to time. Being on here has helped me in more ways than one and I couldnt be more greatful!!

My year 11 pastoral team and tutor where also incredibly supportive, they always took the time to listen and I could go and chat to them at any point if I ever had any worries. They somehow always new what to do to try and make things easier for me in anyway, they are the reason I got through year 11 and I'm so grateful!! I also miss them so much.

I also have been so lucky to find an incredibly supportive dance teacher that I've been taking online classes with, she has a lot of her own struggles but always takes her time to ensure we are okay and is always there for any of her dancers she is a massive inspiration and I'm so grateful for her.

“I got you, moonlight, you're my starlight
    I need you all night, come on, dance with me”

* Shine like the star you are! *
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    Aww @Millie2787 that’s lovely to hear! It’s great when you find someone who listens to you and focuses on what you personally need rather than some set criteria.

@Starlight aww those are all lovely! I’ve also found being on The Mix really helpful, up until this time last year I was even too scared to speak about my life on here but once I did and people were absolutely incredible. I’ve made some wonderful friends on here.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”