Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I’m not doing well

One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
I’m just done, up until now I’ve battled through lockdown like everyone else, my mental health has been like a yo yo and finally I feel myself cracking.

Up to now I’ve sort of managed with not seeing my family and friends but the more I struggle with my mental health the more difficult it has become to the point where for my own sanity and well-being I feel like I need to see them.

Those of you who have gotten to know me will know just how close I am to my cousins, they are my world and I’d do anything for them.

I received a phone call on Thursday saying they would be seeing my nan for her birthday (I had been dropping shopping off for nan so I see her regular just not inside)
Me, our nan and my cousins would be outside and distancing of course. I was over the moon at the thought of seeing them, I’d been having a iffy week so I was ok but not great. As soon as I realised could at least stand and talk to them instead of behind a screen (even though I couldn’t hug them) my spirits lifted.

I was happily talking to my manager at work and told her this news, I reassured her we’d be distancing but that I was so happy to be able to see them. I have a great relationship with the managers so you can imagine how shocked and deeply upset I was when she texted me this morning advising me not to go. She said she wasn’t trying to be mean or be the moaning manager but pointed out that by meeting them and/or my nan id be breaking government rules and the works COVID policy. I was so torn, I hadn’t seen them since I took their Christmas presents up and that was only a very quick exchange this may be the only chance I’d see them until households can mix again which won’t be for a while yet.

I decided I didn’t want to risk getting in trouble and rang them to say I wouldn’t be coming. I could hear the disappointment and sadness in their voice and I had to fight with myself not to break down.

I wish I never said anything about seeing them, I would have gone to see them and no one would know.

I’m sick of people telling me “we are all in the same boat.” or “you are lucky that you live with family some people are alone.”

I know this but it doesn’t automatically make me feel any different just because you say it I don’t go “Oh my god yeah, I feel much better you have said that .”
I can’t help that it’s dragged me down.

I’m also fed up of “blame it on Covid,” I know that COVID had made my mental health worse but when I talk about it a lot of people including my doctor (who then didn’t help)
Say “yeah I think COVID has made everyone feel down.” 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️ Again I know it has bit like I say I had started to struggle before all this shit. Not all mental health is due to COVID but COVID just adds fuel to the fire.

Don’t get me wrong my managers have been fantastic in regards to my mental health and well-being and I have become good friends with them, but I wish I hadn’t told them about this weekends plan. I told my mum and she acted like the manager was being nasty and that it had nothing to do with her. I can see where my manager is coming from but it still hurts.

Anyway I’m worried about when I go back work they will ask if I’m ok due to agreeing not to see them after knowing how happy and excited I was. Or that they will want to talk to me in regards to me even thinking about it and if I knew the policy blah blah blah.

I know if I’m questioned I’ll just break down and cry, about like just before I posted this. But I don’t want to sound rude by saying “I don’t want to talk about it” when asked about it

Comments

• Options
    _Tech_Addict_Girl_Tech_Addict_Girl Posts: 1,489 Wise Owl
    @One-in-a-million Big hugs 🥰❤️
  • Options
    RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    That really does sound like an awful situation to be in @One-in-a-million I'm sorry to hear that you've had to deal with all this. As you say Covid has affected everyone but that doesn't negate what you've had to deal with yourself and I really do hope you're able to see your family as soon as possible.

It's hard for me to give advice on how to act with your manager but from what you've described it seems like she's been very kind to you in the past, hopefully she will be understanding that this has all been so upsetting for you. I know it's been a while since you posted this so I just wanted to ask if you've had a chance to talk with your manager yet and if so how did it go?

I hope you'll keep us all updated with how you're doing, even if you just need to vent and get things off your chest the boards are great for that! <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.