Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Voices - question - PTW

SienaSiena Posts: 15,533 Skive's The Limit
edited January 2021 in Health & Wellbeing
I don’t hear voices just a question around it....

And I hope this doesn’t offend anyone in anyway. If I’ve said something that is offensive then please correct me/give me your insight. 

Why is it that if you’re suicidal, no one cares. But as soon as someone says they hear voices telling them to kill themselves suddenly everyone cares?

both serious, I would not say one is more serious than the other. Both can lead to death. but why only one gets taken seriously? 

The only reason I can think of is because more people are suicidal than hear voices. So you just get Fobbed off with “oh yeah a lot of people feel this way”  But say two people try to kill themselves. One more life threatening than the other - They’re suicidal. But the other one is suicidal cause they hear voices but wasn’t as threatening but they get taken much more seriously?  Not that it matter of how serious someone tries to kill themselves as the intention is still there but you would think that would be what doctors take in account but they don’t. 

Do I really have to go as low as saying I hear voices to get help? I wouldn’t I’m no good at lying. And it wouldn’t help me if treat something that doesn’t exist But doesn’t it make you think - is that what some people are doing? 
“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley

Comments

• Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,649 Legendary Poster
    I suppose it could be because the illnesses which often cause people to hear voices are often considered more serious than those that don’t cause that, by doctors at least. I personally think all mental health issues should be taken equally as seriously because they can pretty much all make people feel suicidal, but unfortunately the health service might not see it that way. I have no experience with hearing voices either, but I can imagine it’s very distressing. But so are things like depression and anxiety (which I do have experience with). I think everyone should be able to get help if they’re suicidal.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Agree with @independent_ there! 
    Now in an ideal world everyone experiencing any kind of mental health issues should definitely be able to get help. 
    But unfortunately I think with how the services are underfunded and stretched she may prioritise sometimes.  I believe psychosis is quite high on the list, it's something they take very seriously. When you're limited to who you see you may cut corners and focus on those at most risk.

I think some people may bend the truth a little in certain circumstances.  But it's really because our services should be better funded and equipped to support everyone! :)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • Options
    AnyaAnya Posts: 12 Settling in
    Totally disagree people who hear "voices" arent taken more seriously and no-one cares just as if you dont hear "voices". I'm really offended by this post and know that others in my group would be too. Totally damn right wrong.
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,649 Legendary Poster
    Anya said:
    Totally disagree people who hear "voices" arent taken more seriously and no-one cares just as if you dont hear "voices". I'm really offended by this post and know that others in my group would be too. Totally damn right wrong.
    Hey @Anya, we care. If you’re hearing voices it’s ok to reach out for support if you need it. This is a great community and we’re all here to listen to you <3
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Anya said:
    This is my experience and a lot of others. Im sorry if you’re offended.
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    I’ve also been thinking- It’s probably because people who hear voices can be deemed as a harm to others - not just themselves
  • Options
    Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    Yeah I wrote a post a bit similar to this (not voices but about why people think suicidal people don't reach out) and honestly it all comes down to the same thing - lack of funding. As others have said, it'll be to do with the fact that it's associated with more "severe" illnesses. It's all about prioritising the needs (which I've said I think is ridiculous). I also brushed on people faking to get support as well and I stand by the fact that some people will do this. 

The treatment of those who are suicidal is terrible 
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Anch0r33 said:
    Yeah I wrote a post a bit similar to this (not voices but about why people think suicidal people don't reach out) and honestly it all comes down to the same thing - lack of funding. As others have said, it'll be to do with the fact that it's associated with more "severe" illnesses. It's all about prioritising the needs (which I've said I think is ridiculous). I also brushed on people faking to get support as well and I stand by the fact that some people will do this. 

The treatment of those who are suicidal is terrible 
    I agree. 
    I also think some people say they hear voices when they don’t. And it’s not their fault, i guess it’s a sign of how desperate they are. (But still doesn’t make it right)

• Options
    Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    100% there's too many desperate people in the world, some of them have to be exaggerating symptoms. It's simply who some people are. You said you're bad at lying and I couldn't lie either so that blocks us getting extra help, but there's plenty of people who's every word is a lie that don't have that block. 

I mean I guess we have to ask that if we didn't get a guilty conscience and knew it would help, would we lie as well? I'm sure most people would tbh. 

The assessments are all done on good faith, no fact checking or anything. It's inevitable that lies are more common that we think. 

It's shitty for the rest of us but hard to blame them at the same time. 
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `